Poll: Guitar/Music contest

TW musicians, would you record something if we had a backing track provided?

• Total voters
27902283253.gif

Heh, im up for this. I just took one of the cheesey backings and goldwave that the o.p. linked and threw some quick shit over it. Just a headphone mic and an old semihollowbody gibson es75 with 3 year old 11 guages on it so it sounds fucking horrendous. Would love some original backing, but i was hoping this would get me in. Oh yeah,i used the goldwave reverb and was to lazy to figure out how to undo it so the whole file sounds like its in a well. http://media.putfile.com/bluehosting

1. Have an audio card.

2. Get a 1/4 inch to 1/8th inch adapter.

3. Plug instrument cable into adapter. Plug adapter into Line in.

4. Download a version of Cakewalk(My band uses Producer Edition 4.0)

5. Have fun!

I play the bass, I may be no Kowboy, but if someone wants me to lay something down don't hesitate to ask. My band is becoming moderately successful in my hometown and we are playing at more and more shows in Boston.

F|Burt, where have I heard this stuff before? "The Waltz", I mean. Did you guys enter the UVALAN contest with a different name? I've heard this singer before, I think.

The music is pretty good. You need someone to actually record you. This mix is okay, but needs help.

old_skul said:
F|Burt, where have I heard this stuff before? "The Waltz", I mean. Did you guys enter the UVALAN contest with a different name? I've heard this singer before, I think.

The music is pretty good. You need someone to actually record you. This mix is okay, but needs help.

That's right, it is Cowboy. Kowboy is the perv that photographs his Ex :p

You listened to a song ages back called Goodbye Lover for me when I posted it here. The Waltz, we just released it about a week ago.

Yeah we don't have the money quite yet to get into a studio, so that is all basement stuff. We are a bunch of 20 year old broke college kids. We have roughly 18-20 songs recorded(we just finished after about a year) and are going to be putting together a CD in the next month. Hopefully others will agree.

Kelster said:
Let's start this grand experiment!

Someone make a rad backing track and let's have at 'er!

Seems like you should have a few categories. At least three. Because how boring will it be to listen to 80 people try to 'rip it' up Steve Vai style?

I'll enter the big contest if I don't have to rip off a bunch of shitty hyper speed licks.

If this has been address forgive me. I didn't read the thread.

I agree with having different categories. The track I recorded is much more energetic and noodly than the mellow but dissonant style I normally play, but that is what fit with the drum track. I think I'd be most interested in some of us "teaming up" to collaborate on songs rather than all of us playing to the same few backing tracks. I'd get the most satisfaction in a co-op composition effort rather than a musical masterbation contest.

Bomberman said:
I agree with having different categories. The track I recorded is much more energetic and noodly than the mellow but dissonant style I normally play, but that is what fit with the drum track. I think I'd be most interested in some of us "teaming up" to collaborate on songs rather than all of us playing to the same few backing tracks. I'd get the most satisfaction in a co-op composition effort rather than a musical masterbation contest.

Agreed. I'd like to propose a few categories if I may:

1) Ripper: Wow us with your limitless arpeggios and endless scales.
2) Jazz/Blues Solo: "It's harder to play 1 right note than 1,000 wrong notes."
3) Song Writer: Original tunes of any form. Written by 1 person. Anything goes.
4) Collaboration: Team up with another TW guy and make something cool.

I think it would be cool to use 2 backing tracks for the Ripper And Jazz/Blues, respectively. That way there would be a structure that people would have to work within.

For the Song Writer and Collaboration there would need to be a few criteria setup, such as song length and....well, maybe just song length.

This way people could enter whatever they want and there would be some structure to the whole thing. There's my two cents.

Yeah, but if you do that, you wind up with:

48 bad guitar solos, 2 good ones
3 jazz/blues entries that don't relate to one another and can't be judged
9 songwriter tunes that were recorded six months or six years ago
2 collaborations which are half baked because the writers didn't have enough time

Just a thought, Silas....:) Good input nonetheless.

F|burt|C said:
That's right, it is Cowboy. Kowboy is the perv that photographs his Ex :p

You listened to a song ages back called Goodbye Lover for me when I posted it here. The Waltz, we just released it about a week ago.

Yeah we don't have the money quite yet to get into a studio, so that is all basement stuff. We are a bunch of 20 year old broke college kids. We have roughly 18-20 songs recorded(we just finished after about a year) and are going to be putting together a CD in the next month. Hopefully others will agree.

Here's three essential pieces of advice for mixing that stuff up.

1. Turn up the snare. And while you're at it, don't let your drummer make arrangement decisions. And tell him he overplays and to tone it down a bit. For your style of music what he's doing is over the top.

2. Turn up the vocals until they are louder than everything else by 10%. Next, make your singer do take after take after take of each line until he gets it right. NO MORE AUTOTUNE. Good lord, the autotune artifacts are all over one of the songs up purevolume. It was like listening to Cher on weed.

3. Learn to use inserted compressors. The compressor is the most valuable tool in mixing. I do all my mixing on the PC in Cubase, and practically every channel outside the drums has a compressor of some sort on it. It's most important to compress the vocals, followed by the bass. Do it.

You guys are making huge progress; the songs sound great. You need to get some sort of decent audio interface for a computer (like a Delta 44) and some decent software to use (like Cubase). If you guys need some help, PM me, and I would love to help out.

old_skul said:
Yeah, but if you do that, you wind up with:

48 bad guitar solos, 2 good ones
3 jazz/blues entries that don't relate to one another and can't be judged
9 songwriter tunes that were recorded six months or six years ago
2 collaborations which are half baked because the writers didn't have enough time

Just a thought, Silas....:) Good input nonetheless.

Then make themes for the categories. I don't think we'll get anything cohesive out of this except from a handful of people like you, me, Trav and a few others who record all the time. TW doesn't have a big enough musical community to make this good so we might as well make it fun.

Back