[PICS] Critters

StapleMammal1

Contributor
Neighbors and I were bored so we drove around town to see some critters. Turkey and deer abound.

vtB5D9v.jpg

1W09S2d.jpg

ZEzxuip.jpg

zVkXIwd.jpg

WAqbWPK.jpg

Sweet. We had some trash panda babies living under the cabin a few years ago, and a family of stink cats down the road. Super cute.

I dont mind the tree ninjas (raccoons), but kill every skunk I find. One sprayed my dog in the yard a few years ago, so I wasted an entire clan of skunks that was living under my big shed last summer. The grown skunks, and the baby skunks too. Fuck them.

Oh, and if I catch a big assed turkey in my yard that fucker is going in my freezer.

Last edited:
That looks great.

ZEzxuip.jpg

Whats that scrub like? Have you got poisonous/nasty snakes, ticks, leeches, ant ants, various spiders, lizards, scorpions or is it just deer and birds? Mountain lions and bears? I was well into dense bushland off trail for hours this arvo in rain and it was awesome. Cooler now so all the nasties have gone for a while.

That looks great.

Whats that scrub like? Have you got poisonous/nasty snakes, ticks, leeches, ant ants, various spiders, lizards, scorpions or is it just deer and birds? Mountain lions and bears? I was well into dense bushland off trail for hours this arvo in rain and it was awesome. Cooler now so all the nasties have gone for a while.

Rattlesnakes, ticks, leeches, big assed ants, lots of spiders, big assed centipedes, bobcats, coyotes, wolves, and bears. Basic forest critters here in the Roscommon State Forest where I live. Out of all of em the bears are the only one's I really worry about. They are bold af and will come on your porch. They have come to my neighbors before but they havent fucked with me. If they ever do fuck with me I will have bear steaks, bear slippers, and a nice bear rug.

Last edited:
Got black bears down here and I see them one or two times a year. Cousin lives on the edge of town and has to lock down trash or she would get nightly visitors. Rattlesnakes very uncommon. See mostly blacksnakes with a copperhead every now and then. TOO MANY DEER. Virginia should give everyone 2 extra tags to deal with the population.

I live near a heavily wooded 1500 acre county park. 1500 acres of shitty deer. They started an annual hunt inside the park 10 years ago because they were eating everything. Inside and outside the park. The park is surrounded by corn fields and more wooded lands. It's ridiculous around harvest time when their food supply and cover is taken away. Pretty much everyone around here has hit a deer with a car. I've hit 3.

Last edited:
I live near a heavily wooded 1500 acre county park. 1500 acres of shitty deer. They started an annual hunt inside the park 10 years ago because they were eating everything. Inside and outside the park. The park is surrounded by corn fields and more wooded lands. It's ridiculous around harvest time when their food supply and cover is taken away. Pretty much everyone around here has hit a deer with a car. I've hit 3.

pre-tenderized

Jeezus. They reckon we have all these things trying to kill us. I do lots of mountain bike riding in forests and am glad we don't have man eating cats and bears to deal with. Fuck that. I'd be tempted to cull the fuckers but I guess that's not legal?

I believe you are capable of field-dressing wild game. I believe it completely.
It is very easy to do.

1. Cut off head.
2. Gut it.
3. Dip Turkey into boiling water briefly.
4. Yank off feathers.
5. Rinse.
6. Wrap.
7. Stick Turkey in freezer.

Second nature to a country boy like me, but may seem complicated to a city rat like you.

EDIT: I didn't move to a city (San Antonio) till I was 14. Moved there from the farm we had up in panhandle of Texas. Farm where we had about a hundred chickens, 3 pigs, a total bitch of a goose, a 10 acre garden, and 3 tractors. Kinda why I don't mind living in my forest. I was raised in the country. You absolute mong.

Last edited:
Rattlesnakes are easy to deal with. Get a good stick, stay just out of their strike range, and use stick to turn their heads into mush. Then cut off the rattles and put em in a mason jar as trophy. Easy peasy.

Back