[Soup] Chicken Stock/Soup

nigafool

Veteran XX
This is my personal recipe for a simple chicken stock/soup using 1 whole chicken. There are 8 million different ways to do it that all work, but this is the one I came up with to make a very strong gelatinous soup that can be eaten as-is or thinned out with water before serving. The ingredient list is short because you can always cook/add things right before serving.

Ingredients:
- 1 roaster chicken (5-7 pounds)
- 6-10 cups of cold water (enough to cover the ingredients)
- 1 large white onion
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 2-3 carrots
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 5-6 thyme sprigs
- small bunch parsley
- 6-7 sage leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cracked pepper (use a mortar/pestle or bottom of a frying pan)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil

1. Wash the chicken and remove the giblets packet. Discard the liver (or use it for something else). Butcher the chicken into: 2 breasts, 2 legs/thighs, 2 wings, 1 carcass.

2. In a large heavy-bottomed pot (I use an enameled dutch oven), heat up 1 tbsp of the oil, then toss all of the chicken parts (including carcass, neck, heart, and gizzard) into the pot and sear until well browned on both sides. Remove the breasts and set aside for later. Remove the meat to a bowl momentarily, drain the oil, and return the non-breast meat to the pot. Add the cold water to cover, and bring it up to a simmer.

3. Over the next 3 hours, keep the pot at a simmer, and add cold water to replace any that evaporates. Use a small strainer/skimmer to skim off the scum that accumulates on top.

4. Chop the carrots, celery and onions into a medium dice. Tie the herbs with butcher's twine into a package.

5. After the stock has simmered for 3 hours, remove the meat/carcass and pour it through a strainer lined with cheesecloth into a bowl large enough to accommodate. Shred the meat you've removed and set aside.

6. Clean the pot, heat the other 1 tbsp. of oil, and add the diced vegetables, garlic, salt, and cracked pepper. Saute until just starting to soften, then add the strained stock back into the pot. Add the package of herbs. Simmer for 45m to 1 hour.

7. Take the reserved breasts (which will not be cooked all the way through) and finish them in a covered pan with a few tbsp. of the stock. Cool, then chop/shred.

8. Add the shredded non-breast meat to the soup and check the seasoning. To serve, garnish with parsley and add some of the reserved breast meat.

As I said before, this is a very strong soup and can easily be thinned with up to an equal amount of water.

why would you need the olive oil? and you definitely don't need the salt

i always cook mine at least 8 hours, usually more

put in a bit of tomato paste for the last 30 minutes

didn't mean to nitpick, i just thought by the title it was going to be just a stock recipe

sounds good, i might just toss the carcass meat after the 3 hours of simmering tho as its probably pretty tasteless

i would still put in some tomato paste too :)

Good stuff - but - you are over complicating things.

One of the best stocks I make is as simple as it gets:

Roast a tray full of chicken wings in an oven till the are nicely browned, and toss em in water.

You can add veg and adjust seasoning as you see fit, but I find chicken wings (even chopped up) will produce the best stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff - but - you are over complicating things.

One of the best stocks I make is as simple as it gets:

Roast a tray full of chicken wings in an oven till the are nicely browned, and toss em in water.

You can add veg and adjust seasoning as you see fit, but I find chicken wings (even chopped up) will produce the best stock.

Damnit. I still ain't used to moderating this shit. I hit edit instead of quote. Ohh well no harm no foul.

but yeah....

that's because of all the connective tissue and the suprisingly high amount of fat in the wings. Well not that surprising since they don't use them to fly. :shrug:

You forgot to mention that a dozen or so wings are very very cheap.

Its the skin that is the key for a dark flavourful stock.

Did they teach you to make the stock for their KFC gravy?

That shits foul!

the only problem with searing the chicken before you make the stock is that it locks a lot of juice inside and then it cant get out into the stock

still trying to figure out a way around that

I don't like the meat after it's been stewed that long. Or the veggies.

What I have been doing is making stock separately with heads and feet and just keeping the liquid, then boiling new veggies per serving for 30 minutes and adding chicken at the end that is already properly cooked.

So much better.

I don't like the meat after it's been stewed that long. Or the veggies.

What I have been doing is making stock separately with heads and feet and just keeping the liquid, then boiling new veggies per serving for 30 minutes and adding chicken at the end that is already properly cooked.

So much better.

in the recipe the vegetables get 45m and the breast meat is reserved for the end. anyways, the point of the recipe is an easy way to go from 1 whole chicken to 1 soup without sacrificing flavor. im getting the feeling you didnt read it.

if i ask my grocery store ahead of time they can save parts for me, but usually it's easier to just pick up a roaster.

Back