[MAP PACK] Released At Last

|CO|Kapeket!! said:
As for my time in Tribes.. you have no clue.

But good luck in pushing that idea with your new mod.
I know you've been around for a hella long time. I also know you are generally more insightful than most folks in these parts.

You call this a mod, and maybe it is in a way, but it's worth a shot I think. I swooped in on Geiss in IRC after seeing that this change was in place questioning A) Why he did it without informing folks and B) what sort of impact might the change have on maps.

Thus began a discussion that was actually quite interesting.
With light spawns, battle field scavanging becomes an option again. I foundly recall back in the T1/2 days how I would wait for enemies to come in and jump 'em for their gear if our base was being owned. All you really needed was to drop some sucker with an e-pack and you could become effective on the field.

Any new maps being created from now, please configure the map to not allow the use of the Grapple, thanks. This should help the community grow and prosper, one map at a time.

If it comes down to it, TWL might just implement the map pack and a mutator as said. However, now is a good time to test out how the light spawns play with these maps. It's very easy to fix the spawns if it comes down to it.

KillerONE said:
Any new maps being created from now, please configure the map to not allow the use of the Grapple, thanks. This should help the community grow and prosper, one map at a time.

As said before putting out pointless posts won't help anyones point (whether they are for or against light spawns). Instead how about going in a server to see how they play out over the next few days.

Homerpf said:
If it comes down to it, TWL might just implement the map pack and a mutator as said. However, now is a good time to test out how the light spawns play with these maps. It's very easy to fix the spawns if it comes down to it.

What he said.

Homerpf said:
As said before putting out pointless posts won't help anyones point (whether they are for or against light spawns). Instead how about going in a server to see how they play out over the next few days.

I've already made my points.

That post wasn't useless, it was a very effective way to show the retarded implementation of the "spawn in light" change.

I dont' really care how it plays. It's just gonna annoy the fuck out of me when map to map I won't be sure what I'll be spawning in.

This opens up doors for other mappers to introduce free-will to gameplay as they see fit. Divide and conquer, GO GO GO!!!!!!!

:shrug:

Well mappers have always had the choice on how to effect gameplay, thats how you have a diversity. Some mappers might choose to leave out vehicles, some might choose to make larger maps, some smaller, etc.

The point is you won't be playing with different spawns if you are playing on TWL team's servers. Every map would be spawning in light.

I'm working to return all spawns to their original forms, and the community can choose from there. I need some help doing that and squashing bugs, so if any mappers have some spare time on their hands to help me I'd be much obliged.

this thread has been wildly entertaining and hasn't proved much other than that, AS USUAL, the community agrees on very little.

some believe the armor should be medium as per base,
others believe the first set is a newbie. (rofl lauren)

i'm thinking radius damage on hectic maps will have a much greater effect on post-shield lights than post-shield mediums, (remembering that the most used tribes weapons are dispersion-based which is why you f'ers can't aim), but its very irrelevant.

what happens now is the following
1. the mappack will, or will not become popular
2. it will or will not make it into twl competition.
3. its popularity (or lack of it) will or will not be based on lights vs. mediums.

THEREFORE, go pub your favorite servers and cast your unspoken vote. :)

What's the point of changing it over so soon. They have already said that if light spawns don't work out they will change them over.

Cinderkarst said:
I'm working to return all spawns to their original forms, and the community can choose from there. I need some help doing that and squashing bugs, so if any mappers have some spare time on their hands to help me I'd be much obliged.

I was already looking into a similar project. I'll get with you on IRC. Maybe if we split of the maps and combine our efforts, we can get the changes done quickly.

Homerpf said:
What's the point of changing it over so soon. They have already said that if light spawns don't work out they will change them over.

This way they have a choice readily available. And seeing as I, as one of the editors for the pack, wasn't consulted on this choice I'm taking a bit of an initiative. While I like spawning in light better than medium, switching the spawns like that is bordering on tampering with base gameplay which is something a map pack should not be doing.

{RiP}Zarious said:
I was already looking into a similar project. I'll get with you on IRC. Maybe if we split of the maps and combine our efforts, we can get the changes done quickly.

I'll need all the help I can get. Thanks. :)

who what where? geiss said some pages back if it looks bad he'll change it back i know. i'm just trying to make the point that ultimately these things sort themselves out anyway, and the arguing gives the issue more of a life than it deserves...

Validuz said:
I hated (with a passion) T2 Base. So no, I'm not a "play pure Base" kind of guy. Classic was the best thing to every happen to T2. And yes, when I was a super newbie in T1, I played mods, so I know exactly what you're thinking. However, I have long since moved out of that stage of playing newbie shit mods.

Listen, Shifter newbie. If you don't like being able to spawn in light, no one is forcing you to play the maps. I don't like the overpowered grapple/shield, but I still play TV. Basically it comes down to whether you like playing TV as a whole or not.

You can't really call someone who has also moved out of mods a newbie for having previously played a mod, since you stated in the paragraph above that you use to as well.

I'm suprised people actually listen to what you have to say considering you bitch about everything minus the few occassions when it's something that's changing the game the way you want. Let's see here. In previous Tribes games, it would be an alteration of code that would change what armor (and with what) you spawned... That alteration would be considered a mod. The same change is being done map side, so really, I can see it being a mod. Oh my! This means that our all mightly Val is leaning towards a mod? Looks like you haven't progressed too far from your newbie roots, now have you?

Validuz said:
Who gives a shit about a vet tag? I'm looking at you and your team, which is complete newbie shit. I am totally shocked you think I'm going to sit by while a couple of total fucking newbies from Shifter try and mold the way the new maps could be released as. Now stfu and run along, newbie.

I guess you consider every team CO has beaten newbie then? I'd name some of them, but i don't want them to be insulted by your ignorance.

Honestly, i'd like to keep it how it is but that's something that obviously won't happen. Looking realistically at the situation, time is EXACTLY what this pack needs. Why? Because time is in favor of the pack being used. Because people are downloading it, and that took time. People will put it on their server, and that takes time. If it actually comes around to wanting mediums being default spawn again, people will say screw it and decide to just accept they fact they were forced to adapt because the grief to change everything back at that point probably wouldn't be worth it.

If you wanted testing for opinion, you should have asked teams that were going to be playing matches if they'd try playing it on your map, spawning in light.

Honestly, this benefits me more than it hurts me because I play light. I love the idea of not having to worry about my invos, of being able to salvage other peoples stuff, but the game isn't about me, and it isn't about me playing light.

Last edited:
Back