Tuning changes for 05, open beta

I dislike both of the grappler changes, but so far I'm in the minority :(

I understand the reason behind the final decision, I just don't agree with it. I think flag grappling was a great idea, one that should remain in the game. With weak flag throwing (even the increased strength seems like a very minimal increase), I think removing flag grappling kills a cappers ability to pass the flag off in a desperate situation.

But whats done is done, so here's my feedback regarding next patch, retail, whatever:

Reintroduce flag disking. This gives the LD the ability to keep the flag away from a mid-fielder with a grappler, giving them more time to return the flag. It also can very easily hurt a mid-fielder, by making the grappler hit the ground instead, and possibly really screwing up their attempt at picking up the flag.

|Blitzkrieg| said:
Reintroduce flag disking. This gives the LD the ability to keep the flag away from a mid-fielder with a grappler, giving them more time to return the flag. It also can very easily hurt a mid-fielder, by making the grappler hit the ground instead, and possibly really screwing up their attempt at picking up the flag.
This is one of the many things that sucked in T2.

I am VERY disappointed with the removal of the in field flag grappling. That was one of the ONLY features left in this game that would make a difference in the match outcome.

And I am beyond peeved that you didn't fix the sniper rifle yet. No fixing the zoom without zooming, no fixing its lame ass messed up aim, no nothing to it. I don't understand how you could not work on an important aspect of the game such as this, yet make the changes that you have, including REDUCING the ammo on the goddamm grappling hook, that didn't even need to be implimented in the first place.

Wow.

Nicodemus said:
I am VERY disappointed with the removal of the in field flag grappling. That was one of the ONLY features left in this game that would make a difference in the match outcome.

And I am beyond peeved that you didn't fix the sniper rifle yet. No fixing the zoom without zooming, no fixing its lame ass messed up aim, no nothing to it. I don't understand how you could not work on an important aspect of the game such as this, yet make the changes that you have, including REDUCING the ammo on the goddamm grappling hook, that didn't even need to be implimented in the first place.

Wow.
I think the sniper rifle issue would go under the 'hundreds of bug fixes' category.

Nice to see vehicles being tuned down, but I still don't see anything about the rocket pod... :(

reduced mortar damage? can't say i like the sound of that, but then again i don't have beta... how much damage does each armor take from a mortar( at the core of the blast )?

I'm not in the beta, but I like the sound of the grapple-flag change. It's too easy to just aim at a flag, and there isn't enough risk when you're shooting at a flag from afar rather than having to fly directly over it. Not to say that midfield grapple battles couldn't be fun. I'd just personally rather see people using the grapple as a movement device only.

I don't have beta (stop reading now if you wish), but I think a good idea would be to allow players to grapple the flag as long as it is airborne in order to preserve the higher skilled aspect of grapple-passing. Perhaps provide a visual cue when the flag is (or is not) in an "ungrappleable" state as well. :shrug:

Last edited:
To quote myself from May...

"Grappling hook uses might need to be limited to a certain number in competition. I picture all sorts of swingers in maps that might resemble stonehenge. A little chaotic and Q3 like."

Thanks.

Apotheosis said:
I don't have beta (stop reading now if you wish), but I think a good idea would be to allow players to grapple the flag as long as it is airborne to preserve the higher skilled aspect of grapple-passing. Perhaps provide a visual cue when the flag is in an "ungrappleable" state as well. :shrug:
Hmmm... I like this. It makes mid-air passes easier without making them very common.

I'm strongly against grappling the flag from the ground though (and I plan on carrying the grappler 95% of the time), so I'm glad that was changed.

Apotheosis said:
I don't have beta (stop reading now if you wish), but I think a good idea would be to allow players to grapple the flag as long as it is airborne in order to preserve the higher skilled aspect of grapple-passing. Perhaps provide a visual cue when the flag is (or is not) in an "ungrappleable" state as well. :shrug:
We discussed this earlier, and came to the conclusion that it could be very confusing.

What's confusing about it? If it's in the air, you can grapple it. If it's on the ground, you can't.

Dyno said:
What's confusing about it? If it's in the air, you can grapple it. If it's on the ground, you can't.
You know they're making this game more in favor of the n00bies, who might not be so sharp to figure these things out.

If they just put it in one of the hints between map changes, I don't think it would be a problem.

Besides, if someone is too stupid to figure that out they're probably going to get banned from the server anyway.

Amadeu5 said:
You know they're making this game more in favor of the n00bies, who might not be so sharp to figure these things out.

Oh come on, that's just a bad excuse. I really don't see why you (or others) consider it "very confusing." I think it's pretty simple actually.

If newbies are unable to understand that airborne flags are grappleable, and flags on the ground are not, how are they supposed to understand armor specific weapons or the active abilities of packs?

This shouldn't be a major issue anyways, as I don't consider flag-grappling to really be a newbie tactic. In other words, I only expect more experienced players to attempt air-flag-grappling.

Edit: The only thing I think could be even a bit confusing (if at all) would be the question of whether or not the flag has hit the ground yet -- more of a problem of a "less than perfect" depth perception associated with viewing a 2D screen. This is why I suggested a visual cue indicating that the flag has touched the ground. I think something as small as even a puff of dust would do. Maybe make a deflection sound when players try to grapple a ground based flag as well.

Last edited:
I don't mind the grappler changes at all, I rarely need more then 11 or 12 grapples and that is on a complicated run. And I understand the reasoning behind removing the ability to grapple the flag.

|Blitzkrieg| said:

:signed:

Back