News: TribalWar Vengeance Movie

Kendo said:
You know what, I figure the disc speed might be perfect and the huge trail is whats distorting its sense of speed due to scale. Its like driving a car down an airplane runway compared to a backroad.

I'd really love to see what the disc looks like without the pacific ocean shooting out its ass.
I agree. Those big-ass trails are distorting the perception of speed on the spinfusor disks. If you look closely, the disk is really not going that slow. Seems fairly decent speed at the moment, but it's really hard to judge without actually playing the game. Please please please make whatever you end up having stream behind the disk much shorter in length and way more transparent.

As for the physics, well... I'm withholding judgement on that one 'till beta.
I need to be actually playing the game myself In my own fashion before I make any statements about manuverability, speed, and gravity.
I find it kind of frustrating to watch demos of other people play as it is.

I liked the smoke trails on the jets alot more than those new ones. :ugh:
I'm sure it saves fps using the trails instead of particle efects, but geez! This is totally overkill on the glowy trails.
Luckily, I recall KP mentioning that the effects are changed on practically a daily basis, so i guess it's bound to change in one way or another.
Some variety would be good though.

Flag icon is good, having it there all the time is bad (for vets anyway)
Please at least have a server side setting if you are planning on catering to the newbies, or have it dissapear when it goes out of friendly sensor range/LOS.

Other than that, fantastic vid. :)
Obviously the game stil needs a bit of work, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of tweaking here and there. Good thing there are a few good months of bug squashing, graphics polishing and physics twiddleing left to go before release...
Can't wait to get my hands on that grappler :bigthumb:

MrGone said:
She's an imperial princess, one who scooped out her eyes for implants to make her better at killing people for sport, doing a downs boogie on a tribalwar logo screen. It was gold.

They should have used Jericho instead, doing the "Stupid is as stupid dies" "go long" pose from T2.

One more comment on the video: If you do another one before the beta comes out, use "Dare" from the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack for the music. Don't ask why, just make sure it gets done!

/me "Dare! Dare to belieeeeeeeeve yooooooooou can surviiiiiiiiive...the power is there at your commaaaaaaaaaand..."

Great video; it delivers the eye candy better than any T:V vid so far.

The IFFs should have been fixed or left out of the E3 presentation build of the game completely - if it is not working at all, then why show it?

Only one piece of T:V was wrong
The only things that should have line trails behind them are the sniper and the disk launcher. Jetpacks should put out smoke or a modestly colored particle effect, but not road pylon colored lines. I will pray to whatever gods there may be for the Rover to not make a *BEEP BEEP BEEP* when it moves in reverse and for the trails to go away, because both are severely unnecessary and annoying.

Everything else should be good.

OK... I downloaded the demo, and this is what I think.

AWSOME!​

There were only two things I did not really like.
  1. The little green flag that follows the flag carrier. I found it too distracting.
  2. The demo was tooo short!

I think the physics are actually pretty smooth. Its pretty cool how you we will have more control of direction in mid flight. I always felt that T1 and T2 lacked the true feeling of a jet pack.

Skiing, looks alot more fun and actually alot smoother in T:V. There was nothing worse that skiing down a hill, and all the sudden hitting an invisible object, that suddenly stops you.

I totally love the grapling hook, and the new rocket launcher! I don't mind the disk trails. If you just watch the disk, and pretend the trails aren't there, the disk seems to travel at the same speed as a disk in T2. I think the trails were put in place to even the pace of the gameplay myself.

Looks like CG whores will love the new CG. I like that it appeared to be more responsive than the CG in T2... Kinda like the CG in T1.

I like the Lazer Rifle, having a limited amount of ammo. That should ballance the game, and make sniping a true art, instead of a point an click feature.

The graphics rock! The new armour is really sweet. I get wood just thinking about playing T:V. I can't wait for the demo to be released.

Good job Vivendi and Sierra. Looks like T:V is going to be a real blast to play!

Kendo said:
I'd really love to see what the disc looks like without the pacific ocean shooting out its ass.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just cuz there wasn't a 24/7 flagicon in T1 doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad thing. Concerning the freedom of movement added with, say, the grappling hook I don't think a 24/7 icon showing the flag position would be a bad decision...

im pretty sure the dev said the flag icon would only appear if the carrier was in sensor range. As far as i know they havent changed this.

It's always nice to watch new videos, but I'm a bit worried with what I'm seeing.
Most of the issues have already been touched upon. I just get this overall feeling that the game is completely 'dumbed down.' This includes all the trails, flag icons, inventory station, movement (mid-air movement, floating, low gravity), etc. I guess time will tell. Graphic-wise it looks awesome though.

Also the vertical OOB is stupid. You can prevent people from leaving the arena by just putting OOBs on the sides.

Kendo said:
I'm not so sure about this, still looks like a ton of work need to be done.

The falling doesnt look like falling, it looks like they're floating down with a parachute.

It looks too easy to fly around, and we all know that a game is made good by mastering a difficult task. It's been said a million times and i dont care.

I got to play T:V today, and it was fudgeING SICK! omg man this game is what we've been waiting for HANDS DOWN.

I think the video shows it for what it is, great job Colosus.

RegisteredFruit said:
It is basically the equivalent of happyflag in T1. If they included nofog or autoaim in T:V, it wouldn't technically be a cheat, but it would fudge up gameplay... just like this.
They removed the CC, this makes up for that. Stop acting like a badass.

Nightmare- said:
What's good:
Grappling hook, sniper rifle, rocket pod
Graphics look nice, especially the sky
im sure there's other stuff that im forgetting

What needs to be fixed imo:
The discs move too slow as everyone's been saying.
There needs to be more gravity.
Skiing seems too easy, you jet a bit and it shoots you way up into the air.
Too many trails and they're too long...smoke looks better coming out of the jetpack than those long trails.
Also you shouldn't be able to change directions mid air too easily....it looks weird.
exactly

Validuz said:
They removed the CC, this makes up for that. Stop acting like a badass.

They did not remove the CC.

Edit: I mean, they have a CC in the game, brought up by the command map key.

Pagy said:
first, great video, and thank you

second, the grappling hook looks fun as hell

third, the gravity is too fudgeing soupy, increase it

guess what guys, gravity is 14.5 meters per second.

real life is 9.8 meters per second. unreal and quake are 9-10m/sec

we already have crazy high gravity, please stop and think what you really mean by 'gravity too low' so that we can actually do something about it, because we're not going to ship a game with gravity like you are playing on jupiter thanks.

(and for what its worth, i'm sure t1 gravity is in the 9-10meters per second range, but feel free to correct me on this)

Call me crazy, but while the trails on the jets may not look that great, I think they're a very useful addition for uncoordinated f*cks like myself who have lousy prediction in duels and the like.

Makes the enemy easier to follow, which is important considering all evidence points to them being more mobile than ever.

Ben Reed said:
Call me crazy, but while the trails on the jets may not look that great, I think they're a very useful addition for uncoordinated f*cks like myself who have lousy prediction in duels and the like.

Makes the enemy easier to follow, which is important considering all evidence points to them being more mobile than ever.

the traditional use of trails in games is to counteract lack of depth perception on a flat screen (its not stereo vision), so you typically see it in games such as tennis sims so you can see the arc of the ball.

imo trails are a useful addition just for this purpose, because i still find that depth perception is poor. much more work to be done on effects though, things like this are cosmetic and are honestly our lowest priority now

(high priority being feature completeness and gameplay).

cheers

experimental said:
guess what guys, gravity is 14.5 meters per second.

real life is 9.8 meters per second. unreal and quake are 9-10m/sec

we already have crazy high gravity, please stop and think what you really mean by 'gravity too low' so that we can actually do something about it, because we're not going to ship a game with gravity like you are playing on jupiter thanks.

(and for what its worth, i'm sure t1 gravity is in the 9-10meters per second range, but feel free to correct me on this)

It isn't that there isn't enough gravity. Watch the players, they fall incredibly fast when and if they fall.

I think that they have too much upward thrust though. They are going up so fast that they coast a little at the top of the jumpjet, causing them to peak out slowly compared to T1 and T2, giving the viewer a false sense of floatiness.

That's all I can tell from the video, but remember, I'm only posting an impression. I think the players--for one reason or another--aren't starting to fall fast enough, nor having enough trouble flying. When they finally fall, they're falling very, very quickly.

I could give better feedback if I could get my hands on the game and a short description of all the major factors that are tweaked to produce T:V's movement. In this regard, public testing should be very interesting.

Thanks for the reply to this thread experimental.

Back