reallocating my IRA today

My 401k is in index stocks so yes I this is a secondary retirement accounts however this one is returning so much more than my 401k. Maybe for the average joe picking individual stocks is going to be shitty compared to an index fund, but I haven't run into that. Not to mention, my portfolio is yielding 3.4% (and has an excellent overall dividend growth %/annum) which I don't even include in my returns.

2016: me: 25.85%, S&P500: +9.53%
2015: me: 22.77%, S&P500: -0.73%

Every year since 2009 has been pretty similar. I have posted the portfolio I got this with before, but if you are interested I can go through and post it again when I get a chance.

thats pretty sick, i'd be interested in following your picks and hearing your thoughts

i've posted my portfolio before. i can't right now, but when the kid goes to bed I can post my holdings right now.

nah don't move money from savings its not that big a deal lol, its just a good price right now. the value is there you know? its a solid stock, better to own than WMT right now I'd say. great dividend growth, gotta love that, i mean that's what gets you a crazy yield on your original price. I'm saying I picked this stock up like 5 years ago and I paid too much, it wasn't a great valuation no at all. but you know they were giving money back to the shareholders, so you know after 5 years that money I have made on this fucking stock. 4 bagger easy plus all the shares I got from div reinvestment. ridiculous. now this shit is on sale because they posted slightly lower than expected earnings? happy fucking day just put another ten grand into it or whatever. was going to convert that shit into my roth but you know what fuck it let this shit ride. it's TGT. it will be good to me. my precious

yeh i hear ya. I just hate when i dont have the cash when i see something i been watching dip like that

my investor friend told me it's pointless to buy stocks cause its never predicable. After college he started buying stocks and after 1~3 years he found he did not make any profit at all. Then he started putting money in index funds and approx 15 years later (at age 37)he has 1.8 million in roth ira/401k/and individual account. the point is just get index funds and forget about stocks, max the matching portion of 401k first, then max Roth IRA if you can because it's more flexible in terms of taking money out, then if you have more put back in 401k. Wish I knew this right after college.

Last edited:
my investor friend told me it's pointless to buy stocks cause its never predicable. After college he started buying stocks and after 1~3 years he found he did not make any profit at all. Then he started putting money in index funds and approx 15 years later (at age 37)he has 1.8 million in roth ira/401k/and individual account. the point is just get index funds and forget about stocks, max the matching portion of 401k first, then max Roth IRA if you can because it's more flexible in terms of taking money out, then if you have more put back in 401k. Wish I knew this right after college.
i invest my wife and daughter in index funds. they provide a great return at the right price. however, for myself, i research individual stocks and want to hold all dividend growth stocks with a good yield in my portfolio. so for me, picking stocks works and I've outperformed the market since I started doing this like 10 years ago almost every year so I go with that.

here two of my IRAs, I really need to rebalance the top holdings because some of the stocks that have done really well ... I'm now overweight in them. I can't bring myself to sell MO though. I like having the overall yield of the portfolio around 3%. reinvested, it really makes a difference in return.
IRA #1 avg yield 3.48%
Code:
stock	%port	div%
MO	7.38	3.33
CVX	6.35	4
CBRL	6.05	2.94
PG	6.01	2.96
LOW	5.69	1.7
NLY	5.39	10.77
MCD	5.01	2.91
PM	4.83	3.72
TGT	4	4.52
SYK	3.55	1.28
KO	3.44	3.51
MSFT	3.27	2.4
JNJ	3.26	2.55
ABBV	2.88	3.9
OHI	2.81	7.66
ITW	2.58	1.96
DIS	2.42	1.39
AAPL	2.31	1.62
ABT	2.15	2.37
GWW	2.1	2.04
WEN	2.07	2.08
MAT	1.96	6.04
OHI	1.9	4.26
APD	1.82	2.82
AFL	1.78	2.39
HRL	1.66	1.97
AMP	1.5	2.4
VFC	1.21	3.11
WMT	1.21	2.93
CL	1.14	2.17
TROW	1.12	3.36
GPC	1.03	2.91
IRA #2 avg yield 3.15%
Code:
stock	%port	div%
MO	9.68	3.33
HRS	7.78	1.91
MCD	7.03	2.91
MSFT	6.8	2.4
HAS	6.61	2.28
PM	6.51	3.72
JNJ	6.08	2.55
NLY	5.89	10.77
DE	5.82	2.2
CBRL	5.7	2.94
LOW	5.61	1.7
WBA	5.25	1.81
CL	5.11	2.17
KO	4.71	3.51
VTR	4.03	4.86
PEP	3.56	2.68
XOM	3.3	3.69

First post in forever...

Looking good. I got murdered on some domestic e&p over the past 36 months but overall doing fine. for broadbased index funds: I like wmw or rsp or a few other variants of s&P funds and plenty of good vanguard funds.

I just have a target fund for my 401k and index's for my IRA

I don't spend enough time learning about individual stocks so i dont bother.

I inherited all my individual stocks and they've performed extremely well (MMM, MIDD) but I dont want to sell because capital gains will murder me and they keep growing so why would I bother

edit: I did buy AAPL for my IRA at $95. I am v excite about that purchase.

Last edited:

correct, most people are non-optimal through both stock picking and market timing.

a 457 is pretty good. Better than a 401k and yeah I already do have a roth

i meant if your 457 has both traditional457 and roth457 consider the roth side. With no experience, 457s don't seem to be significantly different from a 401k or 403b, some tweaks on withdrawls

it can't be that hard to take some cash and bet on a fundamental swing in forex someone gimme some $$$ where dat economic calendar

i meant if your 457 has both traditional457 and roth457 consider the roth side. With no experience, 457s don't seem to be significantly different from a 401k or 403b, some tweaks on withdrawls

I think you're right and I'll check it out

I also have a ridiculous pension though :)

Also post more wtf man

I sold some of my larger holdings to rebalance some things this afternoon. With the proceeds I opened up positions in TEVA and TSLA. TEVA is near 52 week lows so the price is absolutely right. The only thing is that recovery isn't going to be overnight. It might take 2 years to put the plan they have announced in motion, but if they can right the ship I could see this being a triple bagger in 5 years.

TSLA is not a stock I would typically purchase. 1) valuation is pretty bad 2) company isn't making money 3) no dividend but then I remembered that described a bunch of tech stocks that regularly return 30% YOY cause people who buy growth stocks value stocks with some crazy factored in that represents "potential" and "brand is cool". Not a big position, just something that might be more fun to watch than my blue chips. I'm buying this for the next 40 years.

Also on the radar was Kohls (KSS) - see some value there. Will probably buy some of this for my non-retirement account for the short term once my RSUs vest in the morning. I've been all cash for a while and I'm at the point where it makes no more sense to hoard cash, so additional money can start going into equities. I may need to diversify beyond stocks ... maybe muni bonds/money markets.

For stocks I'd probably break it up as some mix of TGT/KSS/TEVA/XOM/MAT

pretty much stocks that have taken a beating lately and could outperform over the next 2ish years.

Back