Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Need laptob for work
Page 1 of 3
Fling
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 09-29-2017, 02:23
I need a laptop for work. I honestly won't do much other than email and ms office. However, software clutter drives me crazy. I really just want a solid machine with windows, and I'll add the software. Is there a place I can build a machine, with something like good storage, good memory capacity, and I also want the ability to plug in an Ethernet cable.

I went to bestbuy today to just sort of look at whats out there. Their prices seem high. I know their bloated with software. and a 13-15" screen is fine.

Please tell me where to buy!

Sponsored Links
clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 09-29-2017, 02:32
dell if you can afford it. I got an asus ROG and upgraded the primary SSD to NVME and platter HDD as SSD and it could qualify as business laptop just by the power of it. is the prepackaged OS a factor?

my asus ROG was like $900 and was pretty stout but the HDDs needed upgrade to be fast enough for stuff

damn I got it at around $900

ASUS FX53VE-MS74 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black Metal 90NB0DX4-M01240 - Micro Center

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
3 - 09-29-2017, 03:25
Get one that autocorrects "their" to "they're" when appropriate. Shouldn't add a lot to the cost. Your welcome.

EyeZ
VeteranX
Old
4 - 09-29-2017, 03:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchdubai View Post
Get one that autocorrects "their" to "they're" when appropriate. Shouldn't add a lot to the cost. Your welcome.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
5 - 09-29-2017, 04:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeZ View Post
Haha you actually just did that.

Ddrakon
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 09-29-2017, 06:37
if it's for work, perhaps your employer should provide it

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
7 - 09-29-2017, 07:34
perhaps you should find a job that requires you to do more than email and ms office

consultant
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 09-29-2017, 07:46
Buy and added the SSD yourself any brand will **** you when you "upgrade" to SSD.

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 09-29-2017, 07:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by clu View Post
dell if you can afford it. I got an asus ROG and upgraded the primary SSD to NVME and platter HDD as SSD and it could qualify as business laptop just by the power of it. is the prepackaged OS a factor?

my asus ROG was like $900 and was pretty stout but the HDDs needed upgrade to be fast enough for stuff

damn I got it at around $900

ASUS FX53VE-MS74 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black Metal 90NB0DX4-M01240 - Micro Center
Did you actually read the brief?

Why the **** would you recommend a gaming laptop and "upgrade from ssd to nvme" hard drives, when a guy asks for a labtop for email + office. Especially Dell, who are one of the worst around when it comes to bloatware.

Honestly, anything out there these days can do what you want, and a little bloatware is just about guaranteed unless you're paying a premium for a custom solution. OEMs package it up to pad their (generally very slim on these things) profit margins, but fortunately they're learning, and it's not as bad as it once was.

Something like this would do the job, for silly money. Very limited hard disk means you'll need to be careful what you install and will probably want some network storage or a separate HDD.. But on the bright side, with small hard disks, OEMs generally limit how much bloat they install, as well.

Also noted that this one doesn't have wired ethernet onboard. USB3 adapter would be an option if you absolutely need it, though. Not ideal, but at $230, it might be worth a sacrifice. You can pick up a gigabit usb adapter for another $30, or $40 for one that has a 3-port usb hub in it as well (you could have keyboard/mouse/storage/network plugged into that like a mini docking station while at your desk, unplug and go wireless when you're out and about.)

If you're happy to go with smaller screens, you could also look at little 2-in-1s with a touch-screen that'll convert to a tablet if and when you need it, too.

Generally though, I'd just say - know your price range, check out your local store, find whatever fits. The laptop spec you're asking about is absolutely bog standard, and anything out there will do it fine. Yes, you can pay more and it'll do it better, and SSDs and more ram and faster processors will make it snappier, but start driving the price up pretty quickly. So whatever you're willing to spend.

The one thing you don't need for email + office is a dedicated graphics card, which is fundamentally what makes a gaming laptop (which is far more expensive than you'd need to pay).

Last edited by MC Hamster; 09-29-2017 at 08:01..
BeLiaL
VeteranXX
Old
10 - 09-29-2017, 08:38
i am also one of the people wondering why you are buying your own laptop for your work

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 09-29-2017, 09:13
its labtop not laptob

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 09-29-2017, 09:46
he said he wanted customizable - work is work so who knows the tier. selecting various tier of the ROG series might be comparable to "building a machine" as stated in OP.

dell still better cuz it's metal - my asus ROG labtop is flimsy plastic.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 09-29-2017, 09:50
Get a HP 17" Z-Book with Nvidia Quadro card

just the thing for email + excel

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
14 - 09-29-2017, 10:00
But srsly, just get a bottom end HP.

If you can get by with Office Online then you can get a HP chromebook which runs the chrome browser based (android..ish) based chrome OS.

cheap as ****, as long as you don't hate google you'll be fine

Last edited by ArakAtak; 10-25-2017 at 05:58..
MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 09-29-2017, 10:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by clu View Post
selecting various tier of the ROG series might be comparable to "building a machine" as stated in OP.
No, it's not. It's just selecting the specs you're after from a list of available models... which you can do a lot better if you don't limit yourself to "Asus ROG" laptops (or any other specific line). Moreover, the ROG series is designed around people wanting performance (particularly 3D performance), which is not something he's after. You're jacking up the price for no real benefit to his requirements.

Suggesting a gaming laptop to someone asking for email+office is like suggesting a sports car to someone asking for a mini van.

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 09-29-2017, 10:50
I bet a dollar he wants midgrade maybe we see

def
VeteranXX
Old
17 - 09-29-2017, 12:05
xps13 / xps 15

no bezels

dont need the 4k/touchscreen

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 09-29-2017, 12:28
labtop

TheVoiceOfReason
VeteranX
Old
19 - 09-29-2017, 13:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLiaL View Post
i am also one of the people wondering why you are buying your own laptop for your work
Indeed.

I often steer non-techie folks to microsoftstore.com. They do a thing called signature edition, a clean install of windows and manufacturer specific drivers and apps, but none of the trial version bloatware crap.

Like this one.

Fling
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 10-25-2017, 01:10
BTW: Thanks for the posts. This is what I went with:
Acer Aspire 5 A515-51-7414 15.6" Laptop Computer - Black NX.GS1AA.006 - Micro Center

Intel Core i7-7500U Processor 2.7GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
8GB DDR4 RAM
256GB Solid State Drive
Intel HD Graphics 620
Digital Media Card Reader
10/100/1000 Network
802.11ac Wireless
Bluetooth 4.0
15.6" Full HD Widescreen LED-backlit Display

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion