Viewbob...

Tahnit

Veteran XV
[T3 ]Viewbob...

its a first person game..so it should FEEL more like it.

in tribes and tribes2 when walking it just feels wrong..no bob to indicate your actually taking steps...

It doesnt even have to be a large viewbob..hell you could even give us the option to turn it off if we want or increase or decrease it..

Just please for tribes 3 make walking more realistic.

Last edited:
well in tribes 2 there was no bob b/c the game used the actual model perspective and emulated exactly what the player model was doing. Try to think of it as aiming ;o

I don't know about you but never once in my life have I even noticed viewbob in real life.

While it may be the case that if you paid strict attention to it while holding your head as still as possible while walking you would see it IF you were looking for it, however viewbob doesn't represent how we see the world, at least not the way I see the world.

Running at full speed maybe, walking, no way.

Fidelio said:
I don't know about you but never once in my life have I even noticed viewbob in real life.

I notice it from time to time when I walk down a row of cubicles, because I'm tall enough to see over all of them.

I never notice it normally though.

As headbobing makes me a bit sickish, I'm thinking I'm personally against it, but (let me check the current build...) we do have a very subtile bob in the game currently - mostly weapon movement. There is no bob or weapon movement while skiing or jetting, so most of us will never notice it.

BTW, runs quite well on my Athlon 1200 w/ ATI 9500 Pro & 512MB RAM at the moment, even though we have zero optomizations in so far.

Sir Lucius said:
Yeah right Dave G. Where can I get one of there magic ATI cards? Or does "well" mean 2 fps? Let me know, thx ;o
Of course everythign is relative, but I believe the lowest FPS I've seen (in a very complex scene with very long view distance (low haze) is about 20 FPS, and considering where we are in development and that my system is over 2 years old (other than the video card) that's not bad.

Please don't imply that I lie. I may simply choose to not say anything, but I don't lie.

How could you possibly derive of me calling you a liar by refering to you as david georgeson :shrug:

(ps: I'm just kidding of course. You have an intersting way of dealing with questions you don't like to answer which I respect. It usually involves insulting the person asking the question but I respect that ;))

Thanks for tid bits thrax.

Headbob is something i rarely notice offline to.. and like CF i only notice it when i am noticing the height of something else changing; namely watching my gf walk and thinking "heh, she got a head bob going and she walks... ARHHHH! SO DO I!". I think we automatically ignore it 99% of the time, so i don't see a need to really add anything huge to the game to simulate it all the time.

Tribes games are the only fps I can play without getting motion sick. I never thought about it until I saw this thread, but perhaps the viewbob is what sends me into nausea in those other games.

Without any further investigation on my part, please keep viewbob out.

No to view bob. View bob is evil.

As is pain kickback when you get shot (oh, someone just shot me and now I must spend the next half a second waiting for my view to recov... oh, someone just shot me again, and now i must spend the next half a second waiting for my view to rec... etc).

its a first person game..so it should FEEL more like it.

It's a first person GAME, so it should not feel like a chore.

Back