[T3] Turtling and HOF

I hate it too. Boring, and teammates stops playing D leaving you alone. If a capper moves you off the stand and gets the flag, they usually score because nooone is there to chase.

So what's to stop a team from putting 5 hof making a circle around it? Weird, I've never seen a team do this. I'm sure it's an unwritten rule like turtling in the base. As a joke, I'm gonna get my team to do it.

Last edited:
I've seen teams use the multi HoF strategy when they're getting pounded. I used to love it on CoN when I would roll over the hill and see that. A few nicely placed mortars takes care of that shit really well.

this is why they invented the theory of teams

your HO should be able to coordinate with you to clear the flag

dont talk about pubs, because god knows that pubs are gay

besides, you could always try minediscing him off in the future

(what game is this about?)

So verve, the question isn't whether or not HoF can be defeated. Obviously if HoF were invincible, would people still have been playing this game?

The question is whether it should be a mandatory part of the game. Because right now it pretty much is, at least in the larger teamsize varieties of CTF, and most of the smaller teamsizes as well. I haven't played CTF competitively since TR2 came out, but I don't recall seeing a 12- or 14-man team that didn't employ a HoF.

Why should we accept that? It's the least interesting position in the game. It's obviously effective or people wouldn't do it, but if you put TWO guys there then you're a "llama."

It's ineloquent, counterintuitive and ugly. If there's a way to make it so, playing HoF should be taken away as a feasible position in T3.

The HoF came into play when we discovered that we could grab the flag at high speeds. I'm fairly certain that the HoF was employed as a direct response to skiing. The function of the HoF is to provide a "last obstruction," keeping a would-be capper from grabbing the flag.

I think the only way to remove this as a position would be to remove the high-speed mobility of the individual player. If we remove that mobility, then it "wouldn't be Tribes."

I can't think of a substitution, without adding some sort of "cheap" or "newbified" weapon. I think this is a necessary evil that we will have to deal with in the next installment :shrug:

Last edited:
Wulfen said:
And seriously, how many people *like* being a HoF? I know I hated it.

I like it. Probably one of the most entertaining positions I had a chance to play. I mean the action comes to you, what more can you ask for?

All I see in this thread is:

"Wah, I can't cap when somebody is HoF, remove plz"

Learn to live with the HoF, and switch strats to accomodate to the enemy's. Just because you suck at T2 doesn't mean they should remove a position.

In conclusion...

wah, learn to cap newp

Calder said:

Learn to live with the HoF, and switch strats to accomodate to the enemy's. Just because you suck at T2 doesn't mean they should remove a position.

In conclusion...

wah, learn to cap newp

umm..you assume that everyone is talking about T2...you're the newb

ps, i'd love for a team to use the 5 hof strat against the team i'm on sometime :lol: :lol: :lol:

mojotooth said:
Why should we accept that? It's the least interesting position in the game. It's obviously effective or people wouldn't do it, but if you put TWO guys there then you're a "llama."

The only time i've seen a team use more than one Hof is when they're a) newbie teams or b) their LD can't do whatever it is they're supposed to be doing, probably a combination of both

Once again...

Point -> Here.

You -> Here.

Don't even bother responding (especially Calder, go read your primers and work on your cursive lettering instead), I'm sure the actual game designers got my point, that we shouldn't necessarily feel like HoF should be a part of the next game. If it is, well then ok. But it shouldn't be a constraint on design.

Sir Lucius said:
Also remove this "grabbing" of the flag. Stealing is wrong and in it's current state ctf promotes bad morals.

Instead, the 2 teams should have to sort out their differnces with peaceful negotiations.
Ahh, that's our new game type. Everybody plays either flag hiders, or flag inspectors. In the end the Space Orcs come and kick everybody's ass.

Thrax Panda said:
Ahh, that's our new game type. Everybody plays either flag hiders, or flag inspectors. In the end the Space Orcs come and kick everybody's ass.

In T1 demo, we made a game called: Cops and Robbers. It was a fucking blast.

One side were the cops, other were robbers.

Each team had 5 people.

Robbers took an APC, and had to plant a base somewhere on a map, anywhere. (We used RD mostly but we did have C&R maps which were fucking sweet because they had APC hiding places, bases, etc) There, you would plant invs, turrets, etc and try to keep the base. You had 5 min to get to a spot, plant, etc because the cops were let loose.

Cops took scouts or travelled by foot after the 5 min timer. Their point was to find the base and destroy it. You could destroy it anyway you wanted to like scout ramming or shooting rockets or normal blowing it up.

One major rule: Once you died, your out. (We had a mod that would put you in obs once you died)

This was the fucking best game ever, people played all night for 30-45min sessions a peice.

Calder said:

In conclusion...

wah, learn to cap newp

What the hell are you talking about? I don't see anyone here complaining about NOT being able to cap, you moron.

And yes, ask anyone who's played with me, I definitely suck at T2. :rolleyes: So do the rest of these guys, naturally.

Ok, wtf. I love to hof. Best position to play. Action comes to you, and you're often the last line of defense before your flag gets taken. Why do you think Hvys were put into the game to begin with, it certianly wasn't for ho, it was for defense. HoF is just a natural extension of that.

lets take out HO too, you shouldn't be forced to send Offense!

your point is that your strats HAVE to be built around having a hof, which isn't true at all

you can easily set up more LD, but they'll have to be able to BB incoming cappers, because you have nothing guarding your flag now

a good HoF never stops a good capper, but he'll stop plenty of bad cappers, and I think that's who we see posting in this thread

HoFing and turtling is part of the game. HoF is not in any way unfair, clearing HoFs is not hard in a match. Thats why you have a team, some cappers can do it by themselfs.

Turtles are gay but they are part of the game. It adds depth to the game.

The only reason Wulf sucks at T2 CTF is because he never really played it.

There is nothing wrong with HoF's. I have capped and played heavy D (early early early heheh) - both are lots of fun.

This discussion is silly - don't change a thing.

As for a timed ending of standoffs, that seems fine with me.

verve said:
this is why they invented the theory of teams

your HO should be able to coordinate with you to clear the flag

dont talk about pubs, because god knows that pubs are gay

besides, you could always try minediscing him off in the future

(what game is this about?)

yeah, people should install t1 and watch some old demos if they can be found (big IF)

Calder said:

In conclusion...

wah, learn to cap newp

Try and get past this awesome defense:

jillymidirl.jpg

Back