[Illidan] Yey

If you are looking for an oldschool outdoor pvp game you should be playing Shadowbane or UO and not WoW. The purpose of Warcraft is to hook new players into the game and keep them playing. When you log into your first toon and immediately catch a double hally to the face in front of Brit bank so some nerd fuck can get his jollies that isn't going to make you want to keep paying the 15$ a month. The fact is that the MMORPG industry has changed and a game with PVP mechanics like oldschool UO isn't viable in today's market.

I've always said that I would drop my guild and characters in a second if Blizzard would put in a red server where you could loot stuff from peoples corpses and kill your own faction. Unfortunately it doesnt look like this will ever happen in WoW but I'm holding onto a lot of hope that Blizzard's next MMORPG will have a lot more freedom in player interaction.

like i said, if you want world pvp play eve, it has epic pvp but that also limits a lot of other factors.

Like i said earlier, some of us are happy just smashing faces and playing with friends, we dont need to be rewarded with make believe real estate or some elite social stigma which seems to be the reward you are after.

There is an eve forum where you can discuss epic pvp, but im sure you dont even play the game that offers what you say you want, instead you play the game that doesnt and complain.

I played EVE for nearly a year. It's a good game, and a fantastic concept. Unfortunately, I find the pace of the game to be unbearable for the most part. PvP, while awesome, was difficult to find, with most people only willing to engage when they clearly had the upper-hand.

And while a new player can get into a cheap frig and tackle and be effective, it's frustrating to not have the option of effectively flying a battleship. Though it is fairly easy to farm some isk and buy a veteran character (you can pay for your monthly subscription fee with in-game money too, which is fucking sweet).

Yeah, EVE is the shit. If I could get more of my RL friends to play it with me I'd go back to it. I still have a couple chars available to me with 40+ and 30+ million skillpoints. I tried to get them into EVE but it's a hard sell when all they see is warping from gate to gate and sitting there for 45 minutes of chest beating and knuckle dragging with no real combat.

the problem with shadowbane sieges is that people scheduled them at like 8am.

i never played shadowbane, but i know this happened in daoc. on percival, midgard had a huge swedish pop, or something like that. alb and hib would always wake up to their entire frontier raped and probably relics gone. granted, alb and hib had their times to shine as well, but the off hour (to most of the server, it obviously wasn't off hour for the mids) raids kinda made it stupid.

even in daoc, though, a game that had large scale massive pvp that had higher goals than just personal character development, everyone was always asking for the 8man islands. the one that the labyrinth was on in new frontiers eventually kinda turned into that island

i wish there was something more to wow pvp, but whatever. no matter the game, ppl are always gonna find things to complain about

I played EVE for nearly a year. It's a good game, and a fantastic concept. Unfortunately, I find the pace of the game to be unbearable for the most part. PvP, while awesome, was difficult to find, with most people only willing to engage when they clearly had the upper-hand.

And while a new player can get into a cheap frig and tackle and be effective, it's frustrating to not have the option of effectively flying a battleship. Though it is fairly easy to farm some isk and buy a veteran character (you can pay for your monthly subscription fee with in-game money too, which is fucking sweet).

Yeah, EVE is the shit. If I could get more of my RL friends to play it with me I'd go back to it. I still have a couple chars available to me with 40+ and 30+ million skillpoints. I tried to get them into EVE but it's a hard sell when all they see is warping from gate to gate and sitting there for 45 minutes of chest beating and knuckle dragging with no real combat.

Thats why i dont play eve, couldnt get my friends in.

It seemed like there was always places to take a gank squad and find some trouble

Edit: Calling me a lootwhore in a game that's like 99% about the gear you're wearing really hurts my feelings.

I bet people don't like you very much. Always sitting around only talking about the gear you are going to get.

also, I am sure your talking about loot in such long drawn out posts lends itself to boredom

you are probably really big into the EJ boards...lot of people there like you

Last edited:
as i suggested in my above 3 posts... different strokes for different folks. wow pvp is far closer to the likes of a class oriented fps like team fortress than a real world pvp oriented mmo. it doesnt mean wow pvp sucks.

and tell me how ganking someone (common component of world pvp except epic scale battles) requires more skill than team v team competition. lets use your swg bounty hunting example for starters which sounds like nothing more than organized ganking.
Organized ganking? Kind of actually, only when I played SWG, the person that I was "ganking" could turn around and kill me in 2 seconds if I didn't play perfectly, and they would block 80% of my shots even if I played my cards right. It's not ganking some level 20 mage afk in southshore or something...Jedi know they are at risk--they lose XP if they die, they didn't grind out the hardest grind in the game not knowing that. Think of it more like a spontaneous duel :)

Organized ganking that could end up being 30 minute + fights...and not boring fights...you'd have to be constantly focused or you were done.

By far the most challenging PvP I've ever done...nothing in WoW has come even close to the "skill" required...though I am getting very fucking sick of people who throw that word around all day.

The mechanic was so unpredictable and amazing...if I had a mission for a Jedi and he happened to be in a huge PvP battle, you fucking bet I'd take his ass out in the middle of the fight...I took advantage of the situations; I didn't sit and ponder "Hrm, how can I kill this guy using the most skill?" Doing shit like that was considered smart and resourceful in that community, because most Jedi weren't stupid enough to not watch their back. My guildmates and I were widely considered the best BH's on the server, despite doing that kind of shit all the time. We'd jump a jedi with 5 people at his fucking internet wedding...that's just how it goes.

It's like fucking saying "Hey, you should attempt 300 meter MA nades because it takes more skill than chaining him down."

Whenever someone talks about skill, I think of Herm Edwards saying "YOU PLAY, TO WIN, THE GAME!"

Last edited:
Organized ganking? Kind of actually, only when I played SWG, the person that I was "ganking" could turn around and kill me in 2 seconds if I didn't play perfectly, and they would block 80% of my shots even if I played my cards right. It's not ganking some level 20 mage afk in southshore or something...Jedi know they are at risk--they lose XP if they die, they didn't grind out the hardest grind in the game not knowing that. Think of it more like a spontaneous duel :)

Organized ganking that could end up being 30 minute + fights...and not boring fights...you'd have to be constantly focused or you were done.

By far the most challenging PvP I've ever done...nothing in WoW has come even close to the "skill" required...though I am getting very fucking sick of people who throw that word around all day.

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS

go play EVE and get out of the WoW forum

There's a world of difference between being a lootwhore and understanding basic mechanics of the game. You're commenting on something you have no idea about because you've never played with me before. My guild has always used DKP (I think most do) for raids, and over the past three years I've been known to pass things to other people who can use it as a bigger upgrade over and over again, generally taking things last (or just before the brand new recruits, to be fair). I also spend my time doing things like farming materials for guild use, like when our tanks needed frost/nature resist for Hydross, I pretty much put both sets together for the two tanking warriors myself. Call me a lootwhore if you want, but you're basically just demonstrating your own ignorance. I also do generally theorize as to what would be optimal, and it's well received by my guild as it improves performance - sometimes dramatically. So yeah, they do like having me around.

The fact of the matter is that gear in WoW is usually more of a factor in who wins and loses than skill. And I don't mean minor differences like between single seasons or tiers, but just look at what happened towards the end of 'vanilla' WoW. People in tier 3 steamrolled everybody because they simply couldn't keep up, even if they were casual raiders. It got to the point where blizzard had to make the previously 'hard core' PVP gear very easy to obtain so everybody would be roughly equal just before the launch of TBC just so they could design encounters that wouldn't get totally steamrolled by raiders, and were still doable by casual players. The whole concept of arena gear and resilience is another answer to that problem, giving people easy to access equipment in an attempt to even the playing field. My acknowledgement that there's a marked difference between a fresh 70 in blues and somebody who's been accumulating gear for awhile doesn't make me a lootwhore.

Last of all, yes I can go play another game. I'm not the only person who's some what disapointed watching WoW go from a pretty solid MMORPG to a team deathmatch eSport (look at the new tournament server, free 70s and your choice of gear) over the past three years. Every major PVP change has compartmentalized and concentrated PVP to the point where it has no effect on the game world and and in some cases, such as the 2vs2, is just glorified dueling outside of Ironforge. Frankly the game used to be more than that, it's almost like watching it de-evolve. Telling me to go do something else if I don't like it doesn't really change that.

OMG ARE YOU SERIOUS

go play EVE and get out of the WoW forum
Many people who play WoW are playing it simply because nothing else is that good right now, and some casual PvP with buddies is still somewhat enjoyable for me personally...if you think this is the only thread where people express their dislike of elements of this game, you're retarded.

It's a WoW discussion forum, we can discuss what we don't like too.

What greatness did it used to be?

When i played "vanilla wow" i farmed AV's for my epic TuF and pvp rank gear

i don't know when these glory days were but people arent in it for PVE glory like you and most of us dont care about owning a wow house

Many people who play WoW are playing it simply because nothing else is that good right now, and some casual PvP with buddies is still somewhat enjoyable for me personally...if you think this is the only thread where people express their dislike of elements of this game, you're retarded.

It's a WoW discussion forum, we can discuss what we don't like too.

Most of the games mentioned in this thread that have "good pvp" still exist

SWG technically still exists, but it's not the same game as it was when I played it.

I haven't even played EVE so I don't know what that shit's about.

And the fact remains, it's a WoW board...I don't like the WoW PvP, I like world PvP...thus examples of games with world pvp are inevitable.

What greatness did it used to be?

When i played "vanilla wow" i farmed AV's for my epic TuF and pvp rank gear

i don't know when these glory days were but people arent in it for PVE glory like you and most of us dont care about owning a wow house
Ganking raids on their way to BWL with just 3 people and camping 10 people, watching their whole raid zone out to fuck you up, south shore vs tarren mill battles, low level WSG before twinks and cross server BGs, leveling up playing the same premade WSG and AB teams in each bracket, having rivalries with those people, beating someone in full tier 2/2.5 with your OEB and rank 8 gear, etc etc etc etc.

I'm not bitching about gear lmao...tell me where I said WAHH I CANT BEAT S3 PEOPLE WAHH.

But I did like pre resilience WoW because you could fuck someone up with your OEB and greens and whatnot even if they farmed c'thun.

I do have a problem with everyone using exactly the same gear, but that's nothing new...TBC certainly made it worse but it was always like that to an extent. I don't believe there should be sets of gear that are virtually required to use to do well...it detracts from the small shred of uniqueness you may have left in your playstyle...you should be able to select your gear without being useless.

My gripe with the game is the nature of the "meaningful" pvp...nothing to do with gear dependence in terms of me not being able to beat a guy in s3 with my s2, but ok.

This video basically sums up what I liked about old school Wow:
WarcraftMovies.com - World of Warcraft Movies

Last edited:
really? I mean you can still gank less geared people while they chase your travel form druid buddy. They didnt patch that out.
ROFL.

OEB + Rank 11 is now more geared than full BWL or AQ40 gear, huh?

The druid is in full tier 2 but the warrior is in pvp gear which at the time really wasn't an advantage at all :p

He was fighting people with UTBs, full T2, Full T2.5, Late BWL weapons (saw a few CTS on the rogues, etc etc) Yeah he played a few guys in valor and blues and a few guys in tier 1 and that nonsense, but for the most part, the opponents were at least equally geared...

And I thought gear didn't matter in this game. Why can't the "less geared" people beat these guys?

And no, we can't still "gank" (read: world pvp 2vMoreThan2) because no one world pvps anymore dawg.

Last edited:
Back