taking wow (and mmo's) too far

Didn't really read much of this thread but I question bud's new found awsome life while taking time to even read a wow forum and insult those who play the game.

i dont have a problem with nerds who play videogames instead of having healthy IRL relationships, but the problem arises when these nerds get all high and mighty and think they are somehow better than everyone else because they put more time into a videogame. that i laugh at, and that i make fun of.

regardless of what you think is "normal", and what i think is "normal", there is a difference between "normal" and "healthy". seeing an unhealthy, 90 lb, skinny ass pale white boy sitting on his computer 10 hours a day is not "normal" by any means, regardless of what you or any other fucking dork may think.
Again, you're being completely subjective

If the alternative to playing video games is going to the bar 4 times a week... the question is "a healthy lifestyle"?

You're being completely subjective with regards to your definition of "healthy"

If people are introverted and do not need constant social contact and are engergized by being alone, who are you to call them unhealthy? If i had no friends, went to the gym 5x a week and played wow for 4 hours everytime i came home from the gym are you going to call this person unhealthy?

In thruth, the fact that they play a video game doesn't make them unhealthy, it's the fact that they chose to neglect other parts of their lives' that are important. This certainly doesn't include their social lives because many people would much rather be alone, and unless you have some sort of intellectual arguement invalidating introversion i suggest that you cool your jets. Frankly, you sound like an angsty retard that's upset because you couldn't balance your video games with your real life.

Do what makes you happy, judge less

You're calling me closed minded? You're a fucking hypocrite.

dont just call me a hypocrite, at least give me a reason so we can continue the debate

Draynar said:
Didn't really read much of this thread but I question bud's new found awsome life while taking time to even read a wow forum and insult those who play the game.

i'm only angry because i've been there, done that with the WoW thing. 100 days played in a year and a half. i was an ALL OUT WOW NERD. you think i'm happy about that now that i finally put the game down? you know how much actual shit i could have accomplished in 100 days? there are plenty of people out there who are worse than me. but i know alot of people like me who put shit off in order to get purples. and now i regret it and i feel obligated to post it, cuz when you put this game down you come out with NOTHING, except maybe 200 bucks, as painful as it may be to hear. i'd like to see wow crash and fail and i enjoy reading negative shit about Blizzard and WoW in general. this is my first MMO and will probably be my last. call me a dick all you want but both servers i've played on have had massive amounts of idiots who think that Purples=RL respect.

Again, you're being completely subjective

If the alternative to playing video games is going to the bar 4 times a week... the question is "a healthy lifestyle"?

going to the bar and getting shitfaced 4 times a week is not comparable to playing wow 6-7 days a week (upwards of 6 hours at a time, as most "hardcore" raiding guilds do). no trip to the bar averages 6 hours, maybe 4-5 at the most. nonetheless going to the bar 4 times a week is still not good and i would pity the person that got drunk that often just as much as i pity the people that play wow all the time.

You're being completely subjective with regards to your definition of "healthy"

okay, my definition of being healthy: caring about one's physical condition

secondary definitions: being active, being constructive, using ones mind to its full potential

If people are introverted and do not need constant social contact and are engergized by being alone, who are you to call them unhealthy? If i had no friends, went to the gym 5x a week and played wow for 4 hours everytime i came home from the gym are you going to call this person unhealthy?

if you went to the gym 5x a week and played wow 4 hours a day, you really wouldnt do much else.. where would work or an education come in (assuming this person wasn't born into a rich family). a jacked retard who's an expert at WoW? that person might actually get laid (assuming hes jacked and all).

In thruth, the fact that they play a video game doesn't make them unhealthy, it's the fact that they chose to neglect other parts of their lives' that are important. This certainly doesn't include their social lives because many people would much rather be alone, and unless you have some sort of intellectual arguement invalidating introversion i suggest that you cool your jets. Frankly, you sound like an angsty retard that's upset because you couldn't balance your video games with your real life.

i agree with you up till about a quarter of the way down. but you cant convince me that playing WoW every day and raiding hardcore is not an unhealthy habit, no matter how you may skew your argument with talk of introversion and whatnot. the reason being is that i've been there, and to me, i knew it was an unhealthy habit while i was doing it. this is from my personal experience and from observing and listening to other people i know who raid hardcore. WoW is addictive and to me its just like smoking a pack of butts a day, with WoW you're not killing yourself physically, but you're just sitting there....doing...nothing...for....HOURS...ON....END. at least the guy at the bar might have, oh, talked to someone else? hit on a girl? got laid maybe? puked, came home, passed out, woke up at 6 in the morning for work? had a story to tell his co-workers and such the next morning?

Last edited:
at least the guy at the bar might have, oh, talked to someone else? hit on a girl? got laid maybe? puked, came home, passed out, woke up at 6 in the morning for work? had a story to tell his co-workers and such the next morning?

Wait, wait wait. Did you seriously just say that getting drunk is more healthy than doing nothing?

but you're just sitting there....doing...nothing...for....HOURS...ON....END. at least the guy at the bar might have, oh, talked to someone else? hit on a girl? got laid maybe? puked, came home, passed out, woke up at 6 in the morning for work? had a story to tell his co-workers and such the next morning?
after typing something like this, it really indicates your inability to grasp the issue or listen to the points that myself and others have made.

So i'm tapping out, you've offered nothing to progress this issue

I don't see how many hours a day people play a game is anyone's business except those involved.

There's no doubt that some people become anti-social and spend too much time infront of their computers to be healthy, but I fail to see how why anyone should care.

I would work during the summer, so during college I could play many long stints. When i had to study, i studied. When I felt like going out, i went out. The truth is, many people assume that a game makes you addicted and somehow pulls you away from "real life" when in truth many people didn't have a "real life" before the game. Some people are introverted, some people don't get along with people, and some people don't have huge circles of friends.

To make things short, people need to stop using a personal and subjective interpretation of "normality" when looking at other people that may just be different from you and have less important things to worry about.

I play a fraction as much as i used to, and i never felt i didn't have a choice as to when i should play more or less. I know that if i had a job(at the time) and a family and more of my closer friends living near me i probably wouldn't play at all.
pretty much end of thread

The stories that grandfathers will be telling thier grandkids may change drastically from what we all heard. No more hiking 43 miles through the snow. Now its going to be about the 24 hour WoW marathon in order to farm enough stoneskin eels so your raid could try Naxx the next day. These are the memories that last a life time...

Without a doubt, if you are raiding every night for 4+ hours, you are neglecting something else. Weither or not you're ok with that is up to you, but no one here should kid themselves; we all put something aside to play as much as we do.

Meh. I'm not missing much with my time commitment. I was a weird kid with few friends ever since elementary school, and various middle-school ostracisms and the fact that I didn't go to high school have done far more to compound that problem than WoW ever could. If anything, a lot of the stupid Internet games I got involved with during my teenage years, I think, saved me from becoming a complete shut-in AND immature emo douchebag.

I'm definitely looking at cutting back, though, despite the fact that I've pre-ordered the expansion already. I think at least in its current form the expansion might even help me on that front, with its greater emphasis on small-scale content rather than herding 40 terribles into a huge dungeon to try and swat down angry dragons without racking up a three-digit repair bill.

bull fucking shit. your guild must suck if you're the raid leader and you only log on 3-4 nights a week. unless you guys raid UBRS or something.
Serenity Now's best raid leader is a bitter red-headed angry angry man who logs on late for raids and leaves early very often.

I'm definitely looking at cutting back, though, despite the fact that I've pre-ordered the expansion already. I think at least in its current form the expansion might even help me on that front, with its greater emphasis on small-scale content rather than herding 40 terribles into a huge dungeon to try and swat down angry dragons without racking up a three-digit repair bill.
I can't wait for TBC. Casual levelling. Running some 5-man instances with the niggas I've raided with for a long time. Gettin some XP and phat phat lewts and then doing some arenas/25-mans... mmmn

Sounds better than going to naxx for hours on end or jumping around in ironforge.

Angryslegr just autoattacks and goes AFK a lot, then yells at people for being bad

A good raid leader really can't do very much in a raid if he wants to lead it competently. This is why raid leading is best suited for a mage or hunter much of the time, since you guys generally have the easiest job (except on maexxna and even then you screw it up gg).

Back