[T1 Release] Terrain Textures

Hey, I was going to make some new textures myself but, when I tryed I couldnt get them to work. I was going to do desert.What PAL did you use?I used pal3PS and when I loaded tribe all it would do is crash when I went to a map with the textures..

cyclonite said:
Hey. Textures look sweet :D

One problem though:

texture_problem.jpg

I don't know if this is only happening for me or everyone. But I sorta need the textures in the commander screen, the black screen throws me off pretty bad.

reeadme.txt

hehe...T2 transports whatever terrains people add into the CC.

Wierd thing is everyone downloaded GMD's terrain textures to make T2 look like T1...meanwhile, sarca makes some terrains for T1 that look uncannily like default T2 textures.

Anyone making T3, pay attention: NOTHING YOU DO WILL PLEASE EVERYONE :p

cyclonite said:
Hey. Textures look sweet :D

One problem though:

texture_problem.jpg

I don't know if this is only happening for me or everyone. But I sorta need the textures in the commander screen, the black screen throws me off pretty bad.

lol, that is some funny shit! didn't you see this exact problem in this SAME post that wetwilly talked about? You should of read this thread before you posted. Check your readme file it says in the file that the command screen has some booboo's, not fixable right now.

Poor sarc :( The things you have to put up with :)

A3YROldGirl said:

Wierd thing is everyone downloaded GMD's terrain textures to make T2 look like T1...meanwhile, sarca makes some terrains for T1 that look uncannily like default T2 textures.

uncanny?
hrmm that's odd, being that i've said they were from t2 and now in the process of acquiring much better textures through donations and suggestions.

OK, keep this on the down-low, but after seeing all these new textures and models, I'm tempted to re-install T1 and maybe even play some.

Is there a thread that describes how to set up T1? Stuff like Writers, NewOpts, FastFav's, etc ( I forgot what all I used to have).

A3YROldGirl said:

yeah, this will "eventually", it just has to do with custom palettes, and reverse engineering the .ppl format
t2 has documentation for alot of the modifications, whereas in t1 you've got to find out everything on adding new terrain on your own
it's because tribes 1 is currently limited to 8-bit palettized bitmaps, while t2 can use 32-bit easily, so the coding just grabs the images, and shrinks it. I can't say how long a fix will be, because there's other things to do higher on the priority list

it'z not easy :/

edit: whoa tricc whoa
skg phyzx, leader of the "t1 is dead" brigade coming back to try it :p

he he

Last edited:
A3YROldGirl said:

I was going more for a more realistic look than a T1 look when doing my terrain textures. I really wanted to make them hires like 512x512 but T2 is gay and only allows 256x256 max for the terrain.

Grand Masta D said:
I was going more for a more realistic look than a T1 look when doing my terrain textures. I really wanted to make them hires like 512x512 but T2 is gay and only allows 256x256 max for the terrain.

hahah, and you think that's bad?

Try T1 and its 128x128 limitation

Sorry sarca I hadn't read the part about them being "lifted" from T2. I just saw how similar they looked and thought it was incredible how much stuff is being crossed over between the two games.

And also, much love to GMD, sarca and anyone else who puts effort and love into Tribes (1 and 2) giving us all many options.

UniX said:
Hey, I was going to make some new textures myself but, when I tryed I couldnt get them to work. I was going to do desert.What PAL did you use?I used pal3PS and when I loaded tribe all it would do is crash when I went to a map with the textures..

I'm willing to put forth the time if you will tell me how to get them to work right....

sarc if those terrains were done in 128 might wanna release 64x64.... cause i think thats why the few peeps have card issues.. just like modeling... theres crashes for those that don't support that hi-res stuff.

would it be possible to temp fix the black cmd screen issues w/ just tiling some 256x256 bmps together, or will those be placed over the icons, player markers and stuff?
i'd try it, but i figure someone easily has more experience w/ the cmd screen than i do.. whole tree() thing kinda makes me nervous, think im gonna screw up my game every time i open it :p

lol, that is some funny shit! didn't you see this exact problem in this SAME post that wetwilly talked about? You should of read this thread before you posted. Check your readme file it says in the file that the command screen has some booboo's, not fixable right now.

Ahh, the irony. If you did what you preached you would know I said I didn't get a readme with my textures. I downloaded the file linked in Sarca's original post and i've double checked, but all it contains is the textures.
So I guess you have also answered my question in a round about way, there is no solution to this problem at the moment. Thank you.

Back