America: The no-vacation nation.

My usual hours are 08.30-16.00 but I work tons of overtime. Get to work at 06/07am
stay until 18-24pm. I don't get overtime. Sucks.

Is your 3 weeks divided between xmas and summer?

I'm going to assume you are asking me because you didn't quote any one and I mention 3 weeks xmas and summer.

I chose to do 3 weeks over xmas because I wanted to go snowboarding in Austria for xmas. I'm doing 2 weeks this summer because I want to go canoeing in the Quetico for 2 weeks. I also have several 4 day weekend trips planned through out this summer. A short BWCA trip and weekend in chicago for shits and giggles.

The 3 weeks is vacation time. I also have the 10 holidays(5 are floaters) and comp time. So I could take any full month I wanted off if I didn't want to have vacation any other time of the year. I probably have 10-12 days of comp time a year.

2 weeks xmas vacation
1.5 weeks easter vacation
3-4 weeks summer vacation
+ random holidays

The only things that make sense to my American brain are the things marked in orange. 10 days for Easter???? If I owned a company and someone asked for that, I would kick their fucking teeth out.

The only things that make sense to my American brain are the things marked in orange. 10 days for Easter???? If I owned a company and someone asked for that, I would kick their fucking teeth out.

Well, we have a bit more freedom as it's a family business. Avg. is probably 3-5 days excluding weekends for Easter.

i get 3 weeks a year with the option to carry 1 week over. also if we leave the company we don't get our vacation paid out, which is lame.

for holidays we get off:

new years day
memorial day
july 4th
labor day
thanksgiving and the day after
xmas

my old job I got 3 weeks of vacation with the option to carry over 2 weeks, plus 11 holidays and 1 floating holiday and they paid out vacation time

:(

I think the only American occupation that compares to the Europeans is teaching.

wouldn't be too sure about that, gf's mom is teacher (in Finland) and she has 2 months free in the summer and 1,5 week at xmas + another 10 days to use at spring and fall..
teachers have the most vacation in here I think.

i have 10 vacation days, 12 sick days, and 11 holidays (one floater)

if i end up staying for 5 years i get 20 vacation days then.

i can carry a full vacation load, which i did last year so i could take my 2 week trip to the philippines this year. sucks.

I work for a large company in the USA and I get 5 weeks of vacation plus 11 holidays and two floaters.

I also get 6 personal days which I never use.

In many companies they're not too different. They're meant to be used when you have to run errands for a day or just need a day break or something. Sometimes they differ from vacation days in that maybe they cannot be rolled over into the next year or osmething. At least thats been my experience.

they don't pay you out for unused personal days if you leave the company. many companies will pay you for unused vacation days.

Where I work we just have Leave hours. Vacation, Sick or Personal days all come from the same pool. Can only roll over 120 hours into a new year. I don't really take vacations longer than a few days though, and I tend to wait for holiday weekends to maximize the time I can take off without using up a lot of leave.

Back