Any help for some noobs?

2bad4u

Veteran XX
A friend and I downloaded the 14 day trial and we really like it so far, considering jumping ship from WoW to this. Problem is, neither of us have any clue WTF we are doing. We've just been running around doing missions and mining where it seems fit. I'm up to about 1.6mil ISK, and I just dont see what I'm supposed to do from here? Keep grinding for...something?

I figured the next thing to do would be to join a corporation. Is the TW corp still alive? I added NAT MAV to the buddies list but havn't caught him online yet. Not that I'm entirely sure how to apply for a corporation. If TW corp isn't around any more could anyone point me to a decent corp that takes in nubs like myself yet is not filled with nubs like myself? I'm trying to figure out where the game goes from here and decide wether or not to buy it.

It is...the office is in Isinokka. It's not terribly active, as it is primarily a holding corp for noobs like yourself to get them used to seeing blues and reds and having access to 0.0 to get some experience before they are ready for full-time 0.0 life.

As far as what you should be doing it depends on what you want to do...it mostly boils down to either building stuff or blowing it up or a combination of the two. You can join the "Tribalwar" channel in-game and learn alot talking with us there, and my main is "NATMav", so you'll see me on that one most of the time.

How do I join the Tribalwar chat channel? I only see some basic ones in the channels list, and cant find how to search for the custom ones.

I just finished my trial - I think I'm going to stay out of it for now - might pick it up if I get sick of wow.

One question though - My character was Gallente, and obviously, I had gallente frigate - is there an advantage to taking a different race's ship? Like is there a better frigate available, or are all the races basically the same?

I'm primary minmatar, but I'm crosstrained amarr frigs/indy's and caldari frigs/cruisers. I'll probably cross train caldari BS's because ravens are OP for ratting and ewar is fun.

With learning skills at 4, you can train up frig 3 in less than a day, cruiser 3 in like 3 days. As long as your other skills overlap (shield tanking, missiles, hybrids, etc), it doesn't take long to get into a new frig/cruiser or even BS.

well, this is the idea for most race ships, but ill also give you a 'wow equivalent' so it makes more sense:

gallente - likes armor tanking, drones, and hybrid weapons (blasters/railguns), but they focus on short range combat (some exceptions though). this race is like a warrior and a warlock mixed. they use lots of 'pets' and close range attacking and 'self heals' (armor repairing) to kill.

caldari - likes shield tanking, missiles, railguns, electronic warfare (ECM), and generally longer range combat. they would be a hunter that has power word:shield, minus the pet. they like to stay at range and avoid damage using their shield to absorb damage. they use shield boosters (shield repairing, pretty much), to keep it up.

amarr - likes armor tanking, lasers, some drone usage, and they like the mid-short range combat. they do have longer range lasers though. they are like shamans - close and medium range damage, and can tank using their armor.

minmatar - they do a bit of everything. missiles, shield and armor tanking, some drones, some close and long range weapons (autocannons and artillery). these guys? my bet would call them druids, they do a bit of everything.

My ingame name is Tallu Karr incase you notice a stranger in the channel. My friends that I'm playing with are Oli Kowaski and Drithe Grey, they may or may not be coming along, ill have ot see where they stand.

Gallente ships are pretty average speedwise but they do by far the most DPS out of all the races (as long as you're using drones.) Their tech1 frigs aren't the best, but they have the highest DPS Assault frig (ishkur) tech1 cruiser (thorax) and BS (megathron). Only drawbacks is that to do the most damage you need to use blasters and drones, which means you need to get in close. A Megathron with rails is a great sniping BS. Oh, and don't attack a dominix if you're by yourself. you will die.

I can't comment on Caldari as I don't fly them. I just know I love watching them go pop. Long-range missile humping cowards.

Amarr ships are slow (aside from their interceptors) and lasers suck. They're good armor tankers but that's meaningless when there are 10 dudez on you killin ur ship.

Minmatar ships are extremely fast, but made of paper. The Vagabond is the ultimate solo gank ship. Their two gun types are two extremes. Autocannons are low damage, high rate of fire guns that do decent DPS. Artillery has by far the best alpha strike damage in the game. A well-fitted Tempest can destroy some cruisers in one volley. Over time, though, they do less damage than Gallente ships. This race is HIGHLY skill intensive. It takes a lot of training to fly these ships well.

My chars fly Gallente and Minmatar ships.

I would like to contribute to this thread but vlasic pretty much summed it up.

and he is right about a pvp fitted domi, they are a blast to fly. We (me in a t2 nos domi, corpmate in a t2 blasterthron) took on 3 t2 fitted ravens, t1 fitted brutix, t2 fitted blackbird and completely fucksmashed their faces.

to sum it up, gallente rules the shipping lanes.

on another side note, the arbitrator (amarr cruiser) is pretty much a mini domi and really kicks the ass with drones/electronic warfare/NOS(nos sucks out capacitor from them and gives it to you. it also looks like a hot rod, and the Amarr Recons (highly highly advanced cruisers) are pretty much NOSmachines on an epic level.

but yes, gallente ships are pwnmobiles. caldari however have the easiest time in killing rats, as their main weapon platform (missiles) can be changed on the fly for whatever damage type is needed. same with minmatar (but with projectiles).

you can change your damage types with drones too. And while the amarr recons are mean with their nos range bonus, the arbitrator is hardly a mini-domi. You can orbit them at 16km and keep them scrammed whilst being immune to their nos.

well, if the arbitrator had e-peen module equipped, he could just activate it while the other ship turns around and takes it in the rear while the arbi scratches his back, orbitting at a 103km distance with 4 drone link augments, 4 110km scramblers and 4 nanofiberII's to maintain proper orbit.

the arbitrator is also made of paper.

It's more like the amarr equivilent to the Vexor but with even less PG

The amarr recons, however, are mean and nasty.

PS: 9 days to Gallente cruiser 5 :D
Arazu here I come!

Arbitrator sucks dick, flat out. It can't hold enough drones to last in a fight if you're against anybody that knows what they're doing. There's not enough grid to fit a tank and nos. The Curse and Pilgrim recons on the other hand are amazing.

I have no clue what you guys are talking about, but thanks much for all the help so far. ATM I'm still doing level 1 missions in my Kestrel.

The thing is, I already have enough money for a cruiser, but have to wait until saturday about noon until i can start training cruisers, then I need to get it up to level 2. So basically, my bank is way ahead of my skills. I was thinking about just going from my Kestrel to a battlecruiser. The ferox is about 25mill, and I figure by the time I have the skills for it I will have been able to raise the 25mill on my kestrel doing whatever. Thoughts?

getting a caracal and doing Level 2 missions would probably be faster and more profitable and let you really rake in the loyalty points so you can cash them out for something really nice by the time you are ready for BCs.

myself, i plan on doing the cruiser->BS jump once all my support and drone skills are top notch (3-4+mil SPs), and hop into a dominix.

Yeah, get the Caracal...it's a good ship. Ferox is very slow too, and can make getting out of a bad situation difficult because it turns like the Titanic.

Back