Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired by Reggs - Page 15 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired
Page 15 of 47
Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
281 - 11-01-2006, 16:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falhawk View Post
my buddies company turned down the opportunity to make T:V
No they didn't.

Sponsored Links
Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
282 - 11-01-2006, 16:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by nSpectre View Post
How skiing was accomplished?

As I understand it, it was a bug with the character animation Vs. the physics engine.
Are you trying to piss me off?

Actually, back in pre-alpha T1 days when skiing wasn't possible you would land and stick to the ground like glue, no matter how fast you were moving in the air. It just felt wrong so it was changed to make you skid to a stop. If you jump before you stop skidding you "ski". Very simple.

So how's life treating you nSpectre? Long time no whatever.

blazindave
Veteran
Old
283 - 11-01-2006, 16:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrax Panda View Post
Are you trying to piss me off?

Actually, back in pre-alpha T1 days when skiing wasn't possible you would land and stick to the ground like glue, no matter how fast you were moving in the air. It just felt wrong so it was changed to make you skid to a stop. If you jump before you stop skidding you "ski". Very simple.

So how's life treating you nSpectre? Long time no whatever.
Get the sand out of your vagina Thrax.

thereal Shaolinmonk
Veteran++
Old
284 - 11-01-2006, 16:43
Quote:
Just a quick off the top of my head, we reviewed most of the major engines out there at the time we (Sierra & Irrational) started development, including Unreal, Source, NDL's NetImmerse, CryTek, etc. From those we selected the Source engine, but our president at Sierra at the time (Mike Ryder) said we couldn't use anything that had anything to do with Valve, and told us we would use the Unreal engine instead. I believe Unreal was our third or forth choice. To be fair, the engine wasn't bad once we had finished our modifications to it, but it still had some limitations we would have rather avoided.

why would Mike Ryder order that unreal be used after being told it was 3rd or 4th choice? Could this be considered a "turning point"?

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
285 - 11-01-2006, 16:45
Fan ****ed - That's great, LOL. I agree, dev comments are interesting, stop attacking them.
So why didn't they make a T1 and T2 CTF? They could have pleased all camps that way. I mean, hindsite is 20/20, plus it would have been like starting over on the Unreal engine. They need to go back to the TSE engine, make T1, T2, put them both together and make T3. Then the fans can decide what they want to play. If GG would get the source for T1 and T2, then it can happen. They already got the engine. They can have all 3 versions in one game on the newest graphics. Someone needs to win the lottery, and get the source to GG.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 11-01-2006 at 16:49..
Stilgar
VeteranXX
Old
286 - 11-01-2006, 16:47
I want to know who has the video tapes shot of the February beta.
I want to relive my past/only glory.

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
287 - 11-01-2006, 16:49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontez View Post
Props for a good effort, but you guys should have known better than to change so drastically what made the original work.
Exactly. You prove my point. You appear to be a T1 fan (as am I) and so the original is the goal. This will piss off the T2 fans, who make up 70% of the fan base (or more).

And I'm not trying to be pissy, just pointing out that we oh so cleverly inserted ourselves between two waring groups. Think Germany and the USSR at the start of World War II, and Marweas and I decided that Poland was a good starting point.

nurp
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
288 - 11-01-2006, 16:56
I was happy with T:V, it rocked. ****, I still play it 3 times a week. Love that ****.

SecretSquirrel
VeteranXV
Old
289 - 11-01-2006, 16:58
I don't need any title.

Some people still don't understand what went wrong with the Tribes franchise because their view of what MP video games are, and who they are ment to benefit, and be enjoyed by has not changed. Good luck with that. The rest of us will find other games that make sense to play.

Tribes will always remain the greatest video game franchise to ever blow itself up. Kablowie!

Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
290 - 11-01-2006, 17:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbid View Post
this **** is getting juicy.
I had juicy **** last night from eating too much candies

Evil Light Bulb
VeteranX
Old
291 - 11-01-2006, 17:04
Quote:
Exactly. You prove my point. You appear to be a T1 fan (as am I) and so the original is the goal. This will piss off the T2 fans, who make up 70% of the fan base (or more).

And I'm not trying to be pissy, just pointing out that we oh so cleverly inserted ourselves between two waring groups. Think Germany and the USSR at the start of World War II, and Marweas and I decided that Poland was a good starting point.

Very interesting stuff

thereal Shaolinmonk
Veteran++
Old
292 - 11-01-2006, 17:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
I don't need any title.

Some people still don't understand what went wrong with the Tribes franchise because their view of what MP video games are, and who they are ment to benefit, and be enjoyed by has not changed. Good luck with that. The rest of us will find other games that make sense to play.

Tribes will always remain the greatest video game franchise to ever blow itself up. Kablowie!

please elaborate.

Hugo
VeteranXV
Old
293 - 11-01-2006, 17:07
Regarding earlier posts..

If all the money thrown into HL2 or WoW was thrown into T:V, could it really have been nearly as successful. Realistically I say no.

old_skul
UVALAN++
Contributor
Old
294 - 11-01-2006, 17:08
Quote:

A better comparison would be apples to apples - like, say, Quake.

Remember Quakeworld? It was released, and a competitive community immediately emerged. Carmack and co. worked diligently on Q2, and when it was released, they had taken out air control and changed the physics feel a bit. (Sound familiar?) The fans went ballistic. (Sound familiar?) id changed the MP component of Q2 to match that of Quakeworld. (This part will not be familiar.) The fanbase settled down, got even more competitive, and birthed an important component of modern videogames: The multiplayer deathmatch requirement.

When T2 was made, no changes to physics or general gameplay should have been made. Same for T:V. I'll all for innovation - but allow me to step off into apples to oranges. What would happen if they changed the diameter of the regulation basketball every three years, and changed the size of the hoop, and the court? Pandemonium.

Regardless - not everything went wrong. Both T2 and T:V are IMHO gorgeous-looking titles worthy of being called Tribes. The gameplay and physics changes aside, you guys did a good job for the most part - especially considering the corporate climate in which both games were concieved and delivered.

Arclight
VeteranX
Old
295 - 11-01-2006, 17:13
Did the game fall behind schedule at some point near the end of the dev cycle? I ask because I seem to remember reading posts from various dev team members (and perhaps even some marketing folks) saying the game was either on or ahead of schedule. But then I look at things like the "mod kit", the dedicated server, bugged recording feature, etc. and it just doesn't add up.

Gameplay differences I can understand. That's the reality of contracting a team to create a game in a franchise that they're unfamiliar with. Having buggy or just outright missing functionality, on the other hand, is something entirely different.

Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
296 - 11-01-2006, 17:13
Quote:

I can live with that explanation. I'd have made a different choice but we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. Whatever the outcome was, most of the game is fun on it's own and it was a good try.

Celios
VeteranX
Old
297 - 11-01-2006, 17:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vir View Post
Unfortunately we have no one else to attack. With that said I think you listened to quite a few fans. However those fans were too interested in things like getting into the testing of the game or pleasing their own personal interests. Instead of giving you advice/feedback of things that would actually sell copies of the game.
As someone who was in the closed beta, I think this is pretty far off the mark. I remember more than a few big threads with unanimous feedback on what needed changing that were flat out ignored or contradicted by the dev team. Case in point: everyone and their grandma would be *****ing for them to nerf the pod's armor. Then the next build would roll around and you'd find that they cut the cg's effectiveness against the pod by something like 60%. It just flat-out didn't make sense.

Needless to say, it's kind of ironic to see Blitz posting about these comp mods which read like a summary of the beta testers' forum. The public boards may have been a ****-fest, but a lot of the people in the closed beta had a decent head on their shoulders and a good feel for the game. They should have just listened to the people they (presumably) picked based on competence and given up on the ****ing ridiculous approach of going out into a public ****storm and posting retarded polls on what the average idiot thought should be done.

Brontez
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
298 - 11-01-2006, 17:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_skul View Post
When T2 was made, no changes to physics or general gameplay should have been made. Same for T:V. I'll all for innovation - but allow me to step off into apples to oranges. What would happen if they changed the diameter of the regulation basketball every three years, and changed the size of the hoop, and the court? Pandemonium.

Regardless - not everything went wrong. Both T2 and T:V are IMHO gorgeous-looking titles worthy of being called Tribes. The gameplay and physics changes aside, you guys did a good job for the most part - especially considering the corporate climate in which both games were concieved and delivered.
This is 100% right on the money.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
299 - 11-01-2006, 17:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celios View Post
As someone who was in the closed beta,
The game didn't die in beta. The game died on the drawing board. By the time a beta rolls around for any game it's too late to implement the kind of feedback and advice that was necessary.

Thrax Panda
God Complex4
Old
300 - 11-01-2006, 17:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vir View Post
By the time a beta rolls around for any game it's too late to implement the kind of feedback and advice that was necessary.
Yes. Generally speaking (there are exceptions) beta is for bug fixes, not design changes.

Life goes on. Spore is coming. Etc.

Page 15 of 47

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

Social Website Bullshit