Straight out the trailer thread

This is absolutely amazing stuff.
You are doing the whole Kaizen treatment there bro, must be the Japanese influence.

Thx King for brightening my day.

I am waiting for the automobile sunroof installation. Then he can be like yeah, retractable roof.

I made a portable CMM mount for surface plates and fixtures today. It’s made from some nonsense I found in the trash and a flux core welder and grinder. I hand lapped the 3 mounting plates for like 2 hours to get a flat mount surface for the ring.

Y know it’s like not totally optically flat but it’s functional. I know people use blueing compound but you can pretty much tell when you’re using a stone by what color the surface is and by rotating the work piece a bunch and you want that sweet sweet crosshatch pattern. I still ended up with a lot of grinding marks in it but it’s like 50% which is fine enough to tighten the ring against a surface like that.

The three plates under the ring also gave me enough material to drill n tap for threads. I just wizzed those out from the same material as the rest. I dunno why but I got a knack for whacking things off. :shrug:

Here’s a off the shelf solution for $700. I dont know what the official mount costs, probably $1-2,000.

Economic Magnetic Mount for Portable CMM with 3 1/2 MetrologyWorks

I used $10 in cut off wheels and a bit of wire. Already had the magnets and knobs.

Im going to test the stability on monday, if its OK, then i'll do the detail work to clean it up and paint it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You need to upgrade with some mirrors - wall, ceiling, etc. I think some cheap disco lighting could be nice too.

65e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back