ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars

Ok, sorry for the delay. There was a bit of back and forth getting these video files captured. Unfortunately the fellow who did these for me forgot to max the quality settings for the game, and there's some differences when some of the visual elements are scaled back.

Nothing very fancy, but at least I have an encoding format worked out that'll deliver better quality videos in the future:

http://www.twars.org/blog.php

Are the videos missing sound?

The skiing looks very similar to T2 Classic. I'm just saying it looks that way, I'm not in any way raggin' on your mod.

I think the bases also have a T2'ish look to them. I think it's great imo, I had this "newish" feeling when watching the videos.

Looks good.

New vids look great. You guys are spot on in concept. A room full of game publishers couldn't get it this right. They would have think tanked the game so much you wouldn't even recognize it.

I was hoping for sound, but the source videos that were given to me from the video capture didn't have any. I'll see if I can have those added in the future.

As for the T2 Classic skiing, I will admit that it's not 100% accurate to T1 skiing, it's close but I think perfect accuracy very difficult to achieve. One of the biggest factors is the tessellation of the terrain, and if it's more detailed than what you get in T1 then it changes the movement mechanics quite a bit. It might be why you're getting that impression.

Another funny thing is how some of our perfectly scaled and calibrated reference maps looked wildly different with less fog, 16:10 aspect ratio (w/ adjusted fov), and terrain LOD reduction in the distance. Just a couple changes with updated graphics and it doesn't seem quite the same.

Looks admittedly kick ass. Can you mirror vids on youtube though, that source works like junk for me for some reason, and I know YT is decent.

The game looks really nice but these vids are sometimes choppy for me, both on the website and in VLC.

How many polys is that terrain?

The skiing looks like tons of fun! Keep the updates a-comin' :)

The terrain should have more bumpiness (if you know what I mean). It looks like you scripted skiing similarly to T1 so you can take advantage of the nuances in the terrain, but with the terrain looks too smooth to use it effectively. That, IMO, was the biggest reason skiing just hasn't been the same since T1. If you hit a tiny little crevice the right way you could bounce in a totally different direction. When I made maps for T:V emulating this feeling was my primary goal, which is why there are so many bowls all around the place. If you got the physics, IMO, you should make the terrain more varied and lumpy.

Last edited:
The skiing looks like tons of fun! Keep the updates a-comin' :)

The terrain should have more bumpiness (if you know what I mean). It looks like you scripted skiing similarly to T1 so you can take advantage of the nuances in the terrain, but with the terrain looks too smooth to use it effectively. That, IMO, was the biggest reason skiing just hasn't been the same since T1. If you hit a tiny little crevice the right way you could bounce in a totally different direction. When I made maps for T:V emulating this feeling was my primary goal, which is why there are so many bowls all around the place. If you got the physics, IMO, you should make the terrain more varied and lumpy.

You speaketh of jump skiing and it looks pretty close. Actually T2C was similiar, you could jump ski and do the same things. I think the smooth terrain is fine. The "jump" part of the skiing is there looking at the video. Its not ice skating or hovering.

I wouldn't call it 'close' yet. There are still some big things that need to be worked out that will take quite a bit of time. A release could be a ways off, and I can't give an accurate timeline for exactly when it's going to happen. We're making good progress though, and I'm sure it'll be getting very interesting soon.

As for the videos, the mirror linking seems to be whacked out for whatever reason. I could delete the entries and just repost them but I've decided to hold off for now because the videos are being redone with sound and proper video settings. So just be patient for now :)

I wouldn't call it 'close' yet. There are still some big things that need to be worked out that will take quite a bit of time. A release could be a ways off, and I can't give an accurate timeline for exactly when it's going to happen. We're making good progress though, and I'm sure it'll be getting very interesting soon.

As for the videos, the mirror linking seems to be whacked out for whatever reason. I could delete the entries and just repost them but I've decided to hold off for now because the videos are being redone with sound and proper video settings. So just be patient for now :)

Why not put them on youtube arcanox? You can upload HD vid.

I may as well do that too... when we were looking at video hosting, the HD option wasn't available on youtube, blip.tv seemed decent enough. It's a bit strange that the mirrors aren't working though, usually it's quite reliable.

Edit: Quake Wars Currently $5.99 at newegg.com with free shipping, so why wait?

I bought QW last month just to give it a try and also to get acquainted since this mod would interest me a lot. I feel like the game definitely is suited to a project like this and I hope it comes to something :)

As far as the default game though, do a lot of you guys really like it? I feel like they implemented some very nice features, but for me the gameplay feels very unbalanced. Too many "total annihilation" options that make other deployables kind of pointless much of the time.

I realize this would not have bearing on a basic Tribes mod though, just curious of what others here think of the game.

And btw, gorgeous new video!

Last edited:
You speaketh of jump skiing and it looks pretty close. Actually T2C was similiar, you could jump ski and do the same things. I think the smooth terrain is fine. The "jump" part of the skiing is there looking at the video. Its not ice skating or hovering.

my point is that jump skiing may as well be skating or gliding if the terrain is so smooth.

Back