News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

gemini_cg said:
Question:

Does our skins have to have 'yellow' as the primary color? since i assume u dont wanna deviate to other colors since they're other teams colors...
but then, the examples of some alternate skins doesnt have say 'blue' as the major color for imperials

right now, my main color is 'golden' sort of
No, they don't. Like the others show, you can use any color you wish. As my own personal suggestion, I recommended against using colors of the other tribes. One thing you don't want to do is cause confusion.

ahh ok.. well, i guess i'm kinda done..

I think it might look too close to the original color wise, so i might considering add more secondary colors

Golden Camo!
goldcamo.jpg

gemini_cg said:

I think it might look too close to the original color wise, so i might considering add more secondary colors

Golden Camo!
goldcamo.jpg
that looks a lot better than A LOT of the official skins

gemini_cg said:

Golden Camo!

Very nice, the eyes are a bit dull for my liking, but I really do dig the scratchy, gritty look of your design. Much more believable to my eyes than the squeaky-clean default armor. I also dig the tone of gold you chose, it meshes very well with the gunmetal grey of the machinery bits.

You should really talk to the people in the Diamond Sword project, if you haven't already. They could use your talent.

If I had skinning talent (which I don't), what I would like to try and do for an alternate skin would be something with more exposed skin, like the T1 CotP skins.

I always found it kind of awkward that the CotP went from half-naked in T1, to fully clothed in T2, then back to fully clothed again in T:V.

Sure, it would be really stupid exposing one's biceps, abdomen, etc. to the elements in open combat, but hell, the Tribes aren't about practicality. They like impractical things that do nothing but look cool and occasionally bring glory in the heat of battle.

Fartypants said:
I got an idea that got me motivated to start working on this again >:]

Too bad it's going to take forever to finish

byas_tvskin_tw.jpg

very cool idea, but yes that will take a long time :D
i'd love to see it finished tho so don't give up

Are we going to see same packages for making skins with light-heavy and the other tribes ? It'll be great if something like that is release with the beta.

another wip:
wip3.jpg

Also, how is this going to get judged?
Im curious how much doing a skin from complete scratch (vs only modifing the orginal skin) is going to benefit us?

dunce_boy said:
another wip:

Im curious how much doing a skin from complete scratch (vs only modifing the orginal skin) is going to benefit us?

Good question.. I mean.. We have one kick ass skin here that looks great.. but seems like it was mostly just texturing the original. But I am spending hours doing original work... where will the trade off come in?

gemini_cg said:

Golden Camo!
goldcamo.jpg

Suggestion: To win the contest, you are trying to impress the devs, not make them look bad.

dunce_boy said:
another wip:
wip3.jpg

A suggestion... Take the visor and make it look less like metal and more like gold glass (like an astronaut's helmet).

As for your questions, everything will be judged equally. Original designs usually look better than just recolors, so keep working.

Back