News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

OK, so I've never used 3dsmax before. Is that the program one uses to change colors on the model, or can one use Photoshop? Or is there a number of ways to do this?

dunce_boy said:
http://images.tribalwar.com/images/tribalwar/media/69/PhoenixMediumMale_1200.jpg

^^^ does anyone know how to set up 3d studio max to render the glow in the eyes? I know it has to do with the Luminosity map which they give us, but I cant seem to get it to render the glow.
Go to the materials editor. Click head. Scroll down to the list of effects. Check Self Illumination. Click the none button. Double click bitmap. Select the PhoenixMediumhead_lum.tga. Up self-illumination to 50 or so. Gives you a nice glow.

dunce_boy said:
where do I "up it to 50"?
After you select the bitmap, back where you checked the box for self illumination, there are numbers next to the checkbox. By default it is 100. That determines the "power" of the illumination. Set it to around 50 or play with it to get the desired effect.

Awesome stuff. Started on a skin, just minor alterations to the armor and some coloring later on. Bit stuck atm for ideas and I'll probably forget all about it. Skin originally looks quite good, 1024x1024 body with 2k poly model ain't bad, wets my appetite. Thanks for the .3ds model Colosus.

eh, doesnt really work Col. From my understanding (after talking with tse and byte), that is from shaders in UED and to get the glow effect in max you need to add lighting or do post render work on it. :\

Who said they look like dwarves?

pouet.jpg

pouet2.jpg

dunce_boy said:
eh, doesnt really work Col. From my understanding (after talking with tse and byte), that is from shaders in UED and to get the glow effect in max you need to add lighting or do post render work on it. :\
You're right. For a glow of that magnitude, you'd have to do special lighting. And I'm sure in the game they do much more with the luminosity map.

Back