Reload this Page Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC
Page 3 of 34
Zoolooman
VeteranXV
Old
41 - 03-29-2004, 12:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekoes
T:V is getting gayer by the minute. Yay!
I think it's good you build up your dislike now. I frankly think it would suck if everyone was lied to and expected a game different from what we're receiving. If you can't accept the gameplay changes with at least an open mind, you probably won't like T:V, and that's a-ok in my book.

I meet many of these claims with skepticism (no TL, no mine disc, now no repair kit) but I'm not *that* worried.

Oh yeah, and repair kits are great, but what about repair patches? These were central to many Arena maps. They're things that sit on the map and you run over them to get healed some. Someone else besides me has to remember how important these were to AUTH gameplay.

Sponsored Links
Taurus
VeteranXV
Old
42 - 03-29-2004, 12:23
Hi Crom, its was great to run into you and play T:V as well, the skiing was sweet (whenever you could find the those "sweet spots" ) I'm not too sure about that truck though I dont think theres much need for it. It held like 6 players but didnt really move all that fast and was hard not to flip it like you said. The graphics were amazing, those skys were photorealistic, someone from the team took pictures at work and brushed them up so Thrax told me. I took a camera video of the skiing, I'll have to post it tonight or something I'm at work right now, I think it shows the speed pretty well.

slogg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
43 - 03-29-2004, 12:23
I also see the light the new medium, if the medium is slightly heavier than my current light that works for me, but an even lighter but extremley weak armor, count me out

but I guess ill have to play it in order to make my final decision

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
44 - 03-29-2004, 12:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom
Also, please note that the game rules already. despite these minor changes, it still feels like tribes, and was already well on it's way to restoring the glory of tribes.
Would the game be worse if they had repair kits?

ThisIsNotMyName
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
45 - 03-29-2004, 12:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsut
maybe health kits in combination with the new repair pack are over powered?

It kind of seems like in T:V, the light is going to be the armor no one uses. the most obvious uses for them are capping and LD, but if they can't take a disk jump with almost dying, and they don't have health kits, i can't seem them being used for either (unless they are a lot faster than mediums, or the boost is a reasonable substitute)

i can't wait for beta to find out.
tis what I was thinking...

Crom
VeteranX
Old
46 - 03-29-2004, 12:30
like I said in my previous posts...

all you have to do is play the game once to realize that the dudes at Irrational are doing it right. they are working hard to get the CORE of the game correct (IMO it already is), and the game *feels* right. That is all that matters to me.

You ditch rep. kits, make the light weaker, get rid of MD's, all that changes the game, but cannot ruin the game. you just have to play it differently.

Also, a big to Taurus (glad i know your TW handle now)...these Competitive Rush guys are all the radest dudes out there. I swear i ran into them 1000 times, and every time we had a good laugh. Hope to see you guys there next year.

sLaM
MEIN FUHRERX
Old
47 - 03-29-2004, 12:34
The more I read, the more I personally get concerned. Not so much for the "success" of T:V, but moreso my excitement for it. Part of the fun of T1 was the speed. I'm not saying that T:V won't have speed, but no repair kits? No disc jumping in light? Does that just mean that lights will be near useless? Does that mean light d's and cappers will now default to medium? I know part of why I loved T1 so much was because I could spawn, disc jump and almost immediately be back in the action chasing the capper.

Too early for me to be judgmental without playing the current build, but the things I'm hearing don't really excite me.

Metropolis
VeteranXX
Old
48 - 03-29-2004, 12:36
Heh sLaM, just hit a jump pad ala ut2k4, no need to dj.

slogg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
49 - 03-29-2004, 12:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLaM
Does that just mean that lights will be near useless? Does that mean light d's and cappers will now default to medium? I know part of why I loved T1 so much was because I could spawn, disc jump and almost immediately be back in the action chasing the capper.
you spawn in medium now

Crom
VeteranX
Old
50 - 03-29-2004, 12:41
Quote:
The more I read, the more I personally get concerned. Not so much for the "success" of T:V, but moreso my excitement for it. Part of the fun of T1 was the speed. I'm not saying that T:V won't have speed, but no repair kits? No disc jumping in light? Does that just mean that lights will be near useless? Does that mean light d's and cappers will now default to medium? I know part of why I loved T1 so much was because I could spawn, disc jump and almost immediately be back in the action chasing the capper.

Too early for me to be judgmental without playing the current build, but the things I'm hearing don't really excite me.
you can DJ once and get back in the action still. you spawn in med, and like i said, med is more like a T1 light.

SniperOmega
VeteranXX
Old
51 - 03-29-2004, 12:42
replying in here so I can read later

GIMPbeowulf
VeteranX
Old
52 - 03-29-2004, 12:43
I think the bouncy oob makes good sense.

However, the oob should be much farther away, IMO, on most maps... especially in t2 since there's no leniance.

If there's lots of room then it seems to me bouncy oob would be great.

Fling
VeteranXX
Old
53 - 03-29-2004, 12:43
sounds interesting. I like the idea of hearing whoosh, whoosh, whoosh as I ski.
Fling

=BL=VorteX
VeteranXV
Old
54 - 03-29-2004, 12:44
Quote:
you can DJ once and get back in the action still. you spawn in med, and like i said, med is more like a T1 light.
k say even if u disc jump and you lose 80% health. and since u have no repair kits are u gonna bother attacking/chasing knowing that your ass is gonna be handed to you. atleast when u had a repair kit you had a decent chance.

Also will the light die in one hit with the sniper rifle since the disc does so much damage to a light.

slogg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
55 - 03-29-2004, 12:44
gee bouncy edges, go figure they have KP working on it

T:V multiplayer = Nonstop TR2

Alexander
Unregistered
Old
56 - 03-29-2004, 12:44
My guess is that lights are going to have some crazy speed and manueverability. Can't hit what you can't follow. If they can move laterally in the air a la a hummingbird as they fly, they'll be plenty potent.

Zoolooman
VeteranXV
Old
57 - 03-29-2004, 12:45
Quote:

You spawn in medium. I feel the light will be used for the sniper rifle and capping, plus some outside repairing (with the awesome repair pack and sniper rifle in hand) but not much else.

sLaM
MEIN FUHRERX
Old
58 - 03-29-2004, 12:47
Yeah, when I played in L.A. we spawned in medium I think....I guess part of me just assumed that was how they had the build, but wasn't how the game would end up. Probably too much assuming on my part, especially since I've had light as "default" in both T1 and T2.

Either way there are a few things I hear that do concern whether or not I'll really enjoy playing the game like I did with T1. And don't read into that, I'm not looking for a T1 clone, but I am still hoping to have the same kind of excitement when I play T:V.

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
59 - 03-29-2004, 12:48
Quote:
the way i saw it, rep kits are like health in UT or Quake...or like those wierd-ass health packs in the Iceridge and Bastard Forge bases. You use it automatically by walking over it.
I think they were called repair patches. And they were in SCARABRAE too.
I really would like to see the kit back, I couldn't give a shazbot about the targetting laser.

Metropolis
VeteranXX
Old
60 - 03-29-2004, 12:49
I have a strong strong feeling that one of if not THE main position in T:V is gonna be a light (possibly medium) forward or midfield medic. With the auto repair feature i can easily see this becoming an extremely valuable position. Jet around, throw some heal, jet to the next guy, throw some more..etc.

I think that maybe why they are up in the air about rep kits, they first want to see what strats develop around the use of the automatic repair.

Page 3 of 34

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Social Website Bullshit