Crom's T:V Impressions from GDC

Too confusing for the CS and quake and ut newbies.

Like the Targeting laser was. ;)

Heh, I wonder. If the tl and rk are confusing, what about the 3d movement and skiing? :lol: Uh oh, might have to take them out too. ;p

We still don't know anything for sure. Perhaps it was an error in communication between Thrax and Crom. I'm going to wait to hear from Thrax before I start to protest.

Crom said:
- Invisible, elastic OOB a la TR2 give you a heck of a boost

i would like to know if these OOB walls are meant to be close to the actual gaming area or did you just hit them after skiing ofroute for a while ?

I'm a little confused about the potential lack of health kits. I was under the impression that we were moving towards Teamplay and not Teamwork. I think it's fairly silly to expect a teammate to repair everyone considering how quick and mobile the game needs to be, and frankly healthkits were never an unbalanced aspect of either T1 or T2.

maybe health kits in combination with the new repair pack are over powered?

It kind of seems like in T:V, the light is going to be the armor no one uses. the most obvious uses for them are capping and LD, but if they can't take a disk jump with almost dying, and they don't have health kits, i can't seem them being used for either (unless they are a lot faster than mediums, or the boost is a reasonable substitute)

i can't wait for beta to find out.

mixolydian said:
We still don't know anything for sure. Perhaps it was an error in communication between Thrax and Crom. I'm going to wait to hear from Thrax before I start to protest.
I sure hope it is.

You know, something bothers me about the execution of the whole "Let's simplify T:V for the n00bs!" thing. They take out the TL and (although I hope this one's not true) the RK, but add in a deployable slot, an action key, active and passive modesfor the packs and extra stations.

Crom said:
you can't leave the bounds of the map. once you hit the boundary, you are thrown back into play, just like TR2 except you can't see where oob starts

eew, I don't like that. No more loading a map to practice skiing and just heading off in one direction.

Also don't like jump pads, will have to see how they are implemented though.

Rep kits... scavenging kits off of bodies is huge and not having that might really suck, unless they are trying to give more responsibility to the repair guy.

mixolydian said:
It wasn't an error in communication. I said "what button do i hit to use my rep. kit" and thrax said "there is no rep. kit". He then went on to say that they were NOT SURE whether rep. kits were gonna make it in-game. In my OPINION, unless something changes, they wont. Thrax sounded pretty sure that they wouldn't be there. Thrax, feel free to prove me wrong brotha.

[dof said:
DudshoT]i would like to know if these OOB walls are meant to be close to the actual gaming area or did you just hit them after skiing ofroute for a while ?
I could ski out of the "map area" a little before hitting OOB. for example, in the ruined city map, i could leave the city for a bit before hitting. they really define the bounds of the map...it is not like skiing OOB in T1 where eventually you fall off-map...rather, instead of going OOB and hearing the "beep beep", you bounce off.

Also, please note that the game rules already. despite these minor changes, it still feels like tribes, and was already well on it's way to restoring the glory of tribes.

=BL=VorteX said:
feels like the light armor is gonna go the way of the DODO (Read: T1 & T2 medium armors)

yea.

repair kits need to be there
lights should be able to dj and have half health left, or a bit less. djing is a huge part of the game :-/

i think if you can kill a guy and salvage his repair kit, you deserve that health

and based on the sp demos (which i dont want to be basing this on, but kinda have to) the chaingun will eat you apart, for some reason i see dying a lot in the near future

|vm| said:
yea.

repair kits need to be there
lights should be able to dj and have half health left, or a bit less. djing is a huge part of the game :-/

boost.

maybe DJ+Boost is too strong to let lights use it without practically killing them.

Fool said:
I'm a little confused about the potential lack of health kits. I was under the impression that we were moving towards Teamplay and not Teamwork. I think it's fairly silly to expect a teammate to repair everyone considering how quick and mobile the game needs to be, and frankly healthkits were never an unbalanced aspect of either T1 or T2.

I'm especially confused considering that repair kits are modeled and available in Single-Player. Can't you pick them up, or do you only use them by running over them?

sLoGg said:
i think if you can kill a guy and salvage his repair kit, you deserve that health

and based on the sp demos (which i dont want to be basing this on, but kinda have to) the chaingun will eat you apart, for some reason i see dying a lot in the near future
although i was playing MP alone (and therefore had no one to shoot at), i don't think CG will be that huge of a problem. it has the overheat, plus the SP demos have enemies that aren't really moving too much.
I got some good speed despite sucking at skiing, so i wouldn't worry too much about the CG yet.

Zoolooman said:
I'm especially confused considering that repair kits are modeled and available in Single-Player. Can't you pick them up, or do you only use them by running over them?
the way i saw it, rep kits are like health in UT or Quake...or like those wierd-ass health packs in the Iceridge and Bastard Forge bases. You use it automatically by walking over it.

sLoGg said:

You'd be wrong in my opinion. Watch the movies of the editors playing at the Press Conference. The chaingun looks about the same. What makes it so effective in the SP movies is because they're whoring single player AIs (who have less health) and the AIs are standing still while they get whored.

As for the repair kit, it sounds like a strange thing to remove. You might see people skiing in light with a repair pack simply because he needs the repair kit like function of the activated pack.

Back