OFFICIAL Rover/Rocket Pod discussion thread

the weapon seems fine, i will have to see video to make real verdict, as for the vehicle im pretty much against vehicles in general so that gets thumbs down.

please remove the following - shocklance, vehicle ramming, and shocklance

Sojourn said:
Enough about the rocket pod. Tell us more about the Rover. It looks like fun. How fast does it go? How does it, uh, handle? What kind of damage can it take?

Think warthog for movement (guess)

Marweas said:
You shoot 6 at a time and currently it autoloads 6 more from your total. Right now you carry a buttload - over 100 - but that has no bearing on how many you'll have in the finished product.

BTW, time for my regular disclaimer - everything is still subject to change.

Ah, so in other words you're still doing a lot of testing on it. Fair enough. It sounds like a clever weapon. I would imagine it can be very effective against vehicles, but there would be much better weapons to use against infantry.

VirDT said:
Intense action, you mean the 16 man d? That is not intense action that is frustrating gameplay for everyone. I was talking about remote spawning which is good because it gets people who want to use a vehicle away from the flag.

1) The goal is 7-12 man teams. So you have 16 man defense, it is time to ctrl-k because you can't read.

2) The remote spawn point isn't to USE the vehicle, it is a forward offense point. Has nothing to do with vehicles.

i$:LimpDisk said:
the weapon seems fine, i will have to see video to make real verdict, as for the vehicle im pretty much against vehicles in general so that gets thumbs down.

please remove the following - shocklance, vehicle ramming, and shocklance

Giants lost. You have no authority to speak until Spring Training.

Marweas how to the vehicles currently handle rough terrain. That one screenshot shows the Rover going over a rather bumpy obstacle.

I'll wait untill I see the video before I comment much on how the RP will be used. But as for the model, I dont like it very much. Limited to heavy/med, it would be cool to see a shoulder mounted launcher, like the boxy things on mechs/hercs. Obviously, keep them visible even when its not in use, or switching back and forth would be kinda odd.

And the rover looks sweet.

Sojourn said:
Enough about the rocket pod. Tell us more about the Rover. It looks like fun. How fast does it go? How does it, uh, handle? What kind of damage can it take?

The Rover is very very preliminary at this stage. Currently, it's zippy, but goes a lot slower than skiing, depending on terrain obviously. It handles like the monster truck BigFoot. It is not heavily armored. It has a chain or AA gun on top, not sure which.

[sigh]

The thing I hate about "hints" concerning the Tribes franchise is the waiting after reading something that sounds so interesting that I, of course, immediately want to play with.

However, having experienced firsthand the joy that was T2, please feel free to take your time and get it right.

Having said that, is "T:V" going to be providing an Open Source server or will we only have a Microsoft server option?

MJ: The first new weapon we're announcing is tentatively called a rocket pod. It fires a cluster of spiraling rockets that constantly move in the direction you're aiming, which lets you control them while they're in the air. Tribes 2 had a missile launcher, but it was an auto-aim weapon that we didn't really like. The rocket pod is a replacement for that weapon. It's designed to be particularly effective against larger targets, such as vehicles, because you can potentially hit them with every rocket in the cluster. It can be used against players, too, but you might end up hitting them with only a few rockets.
If that's what I think it is then this weapon will be very cool to use. It sounds to me like you fire it and then you run around the rockets will start flying over there. I belive the physics will allow them to be quite manueverable so guiding the rockets could take quite a bit of skill. Not sure if it's what I think it is but if it is I'll be VERY happy. These are the kind of things that make a game a must play and it's very creative while still needing skill. The weapons are a large part of what makes FPS stand apart from each other and the majority of them rely on simple point and shoot weapons. Sounds much more fun to use than the standard FPS fare. And much more interesting than the T1 weaponry which was all pretty bland and boring as weapons go.

Marweas said:
The Rover is very very preliminary at this stage. Currently, it's zippy, but goes a lot slower than skiing, depending on terrain obviously. It handles like the monster truck BigFoot. It is not heavily armored. It has a chain or AA gun on top, not sure which.

I remember playing T2 and having Ski Bug every 10 freakin seconds. Is there anyway to eliminate the ski bug on smooth surfaces?

Back