Storylining resources

aScotiA

Veteran XX
So in the spirit of quarter-life crisis tradition, I'm working on my screenplay. I have never written anything and I'm doomed to fail, but I'm at least smart enough to know there are shoulders for me to stand on. I have my subject, characters, plot outline, and a lifetime of film study under my belt at the moment. What I don't necessarily have are the tricks of the trade, or literary devices that can be employed to present a story in its most compelling form. If you guys have any resources to recommend, or if Super-Grover is lurking around, I'm looking for some inspiration. There must be a handful of serious writers here, so hit me with some books, websites, youtube videos, whatever.

Thx e-buds :)

ur canadian, so read this book at least once if u havent already:

Incorrigible Paperback – Dec 13 2004
by Velma Demerson (Author)
https://www.amazon.ca/Incorrigible-Velma-Demerson/dp/0889204446

On a May morning in 1939, eighteen-year-old Velma Demerson and her lover were having breakfast when two police officers arrived to take her away. Her crime was loving a Chinese man, a “crime” that was compounded by her pregnancy and subsequent mixed-race child. Sentenced to a home for wayward girls, Demerson was then transferred (along with forty-six other girls) to Torontos Mercer Reformatory for Females. The girls were locked in their cells for twelve hours a day and required to work in the on-site laundry and factory. They also endured suspect medical examinations. When Demerson was finally released after ten months’ incarceration weeks of solitary confinement, abusive medical treatments, and the state’s apprehension of her child, her marriage to her lover resulted in the loss of her citizenship status.

This is the story of how Demerson, and so many other girls, were treated as criminals or mentally defective individuals, even though their worst crime might have been only their choice of lover. Incorrigible is a survivor’s narrative. In a period that saw the rise of psychiatry, legislation against interracial marriage, and a populist movement that believed in eradicating disease and sin by improving the purity of Anglo-Saxon stock, Velma Demerson, like many young women, found herself confronted by powerful social forces. This is a history of some of those who fell through the cracks of the criminal code, told in a powerful first-person voice.

I would actually value your advice if you chose to give it, I just don't expect anyone to give enough of a shit to write anything beyond posting a link (especially Super-Grover). To be honest though you're probably #2 on my list of TWers who probably have something worthwhile to say on this subject

check that, #3 after Shadow(of)Death

You could just start a thread and post your paragraphs. TW will act as AI and offer helpful advice and tips as we go. OK - start with the synopsis - ready go!

We have spell check, grammar nazis, highly experienced experts in everything.

Writing is like drawing a great big fish out of the sea, the sinews in your back cracking as the line almost breaks, and the monster thrashes back and forth and tries to drag you from the boat and catch you instead. And then a barracuda sneaks up, or maybe a Chevy Nova, and it bites that fish so that when you get back to the dock, all there is to show is a big, stinking head. The cats will all love you.

Here's a start

Martin was away all weekend on a friend's stag-do and Olivia was coming to stay over with us on Saturday night.
The long summer had been fantastic and it was still hovering around 30c every day and sunny right into early evening, so we'd definitely all be doing some sunbathing, with any luck.

Olivia was meant to be coming over late afternoon as Juliette was out all morning meeting-up with her friend Georgia about 60 miles away, and wouldn't be back until about 4pm.

So, when the doorbell rang at 11:30am, and it was Olivia, I was quite surprised but suddenly really excited.

How about this:

Charles was a penis. Not a giant, vein bulging, uncircumcised penis. Just an average cute penis with a perky little ball bag that contained testicles hanging at a jaunty angle. His friends all called him "Chuck".

Chuck liked to get up early. He would stretch and sit up straight. Maybe yawn a little. He was excited to see his owner who would usually get up and take him for a walk if he got up first and moved around a bit.

I was helping someone start a romance novel the other day. I gave her some background and told her to find another book very much like the one she wanted to write, and use it as a guide.

I talked with her about three weeks later, and she said, "I looked around and found a book with almost the same idea as the one I wanted to write." I told her she should have not let it stop her. I told her that was the book she needed to use as a guide.

You should just write whatever you want to write. If you really want to take a shot at making money at it, you will eventually be driven to complete it, and conform to whatever the market is, because you will be too embarrassed with yourself to abandon it.

My first one I called, "The Evil that Men Do". A bad guy has as bad day and everyone involved does something evil in relation to him or because of him.

A couple of people have read it say the story is good but it is too "disturbing". Made them sad.

I am working on 1 now called "Lucid" It is more sci-fi where a women becomes aware she is living 2 lives.. 1 while awake and 1 while asleep.

I have more fun writing them then interest in publishing. I have these dreams where I will "view a whole movie" so to speak. These are just 2 of them I couldn't resist writing down

Last edited:
Draw inspiration from the pinnacle of storytelling:

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them, now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships, daddy."
Dad said "NO! YOU WILL BE KILL BY DEMONS!"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
"This is Joson," the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US," said the demons!
"I will shoot at him," said the Cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons," he shouted!
The radio said "No, John. You are the demons."
And then, John was a Zombie.

just write using standard stage directions - you can probably find a billion examples of different scripts and screenplays online in order to copy the structure

read Stephen King's 'On Writing', maybe

Draw inspiration from the pinnacle of storytelling:

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them, now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships, daddy."
Dad said "NO! YOU WILL BE KILL BY DEMONS!"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
"This is Joson," the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US," said the demons!
"I will shoot at him," said the Cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons," he shouted!
The radio said "No, John. You are the demons."
And then, John was a Zombie.

flesh this out.

Back