US Spaceflight for the future [update]

1,000 c to -150 c in 30ms?

what kind of magic materials are these :eek: that's phenomenal

goshin thanks for takin the time to post this info and your/others layman(sp?) viewpoints

’A number of years ago, we made a wind tunnel to test the frost-control system, one of the world’s slowest and smallest, and spent four years trying to get it to work,’ he said. ’The problem is that if you don’t do anything about frost, during low altitude atmospheric moisture clogs the matrix and blocks it in about three seconds flat. In the end, we succeeded and now we have a new technology for which there is no precedent.’

Read more: Skylon spaceplane gathers momentum | In-depth | The Engineer

technology slowly marches on :)

and you're welcome. I had to manually search for this thread to reupdate it which is why there is one on the planet already out and about
and:

AJ: Why do you feel it is a better approach to work on the enabling technology as opposed to starting small and building simpler vehicles them working upwards?

MH: Because smaller vehicles can’t get into orbit. The technologies we are dealing with are not that new or staggeringly different from what we have already they are just being applied in a slightly different way. We don’t need to do lot of fundamental research (which say we would for scramjets) we are putting the finale touches on our technology to take it to the point we feel comfortable with the final design. Although it looks very futuristic it is not as adventurous as you might think.
from
http://hobbyspace.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=15674 which is an interview the someonef rom reaction engines

Last edited:
What gets to orbit faster, the Skyplane or the shuttle? (I'm guessing the shuttle since it has several million lbs of thrust the entire way there)

Hell, what's the launch-orbit time for current and near-future low orbit vehicles?

shuttle clears into orbit in 15 minutes or less once launched?
skylon would take a little longer, they aren't using rocket boosters to climb fast at the beginning, but i'd still assume under 30 minutes.
the SDHLV is using rocket things, so assume it, Falcon 1 and 9 (spacex), ULA's rockets, and any other space agency that uses rocket boosters, is going to be under 15 minutes, maybe under 10.

it's not about speed to orbit either, it's about effenciency to orbit, and tons off mass to orbit for cargo, as well as payload fairings that dictate how large the payload can physically be.

I'll dig up some more skylon stuff on reaction engines website that shows how they would like to build things in space

and btw, orbital manufacturing would be a great idea
especially with propellant depots which are now part of Nasa's plans

I liked part of the article I read where it said very pollutant acts could happen in space and finished products be returned to earth, as well as space hotel's lol

Bigelow wants a space hotel
he has an inflatable hab module that is very effective, and better than Nasa's modules for the space station (in fact, he bought the transhab blueprints off nasa and perfected them, as Congress decided to axe the project lolol i hate our government :()

he wants to sell these for habs on the moon, space station, other nation's space stations, science labs at L1/l2/ LEO/BEO and for his space hotel

he's waiting for commericial access to space for the hotel and to finalize the largest hab module.

A lot. I havent seen the nasa one, but its about robots in space.
The other one is about a bunch of people start businesses based around some advanced ideas involving space. How to make it economical and the like.

cant see them either, however, SU was founded by a futurist who is interested in developing technology that can affect a broad range of people for cheap. They also put it in a format for creating new businesses to then produce and market the technology. Near tearm stuff that is game changing.

They have had some positive results and ideas, and a ton of 'students' have attended (a couple hundred)

most of the info i have on SU involves terrestial ideas, haven't seen the stuff on space before

NASA launched or is launching a humanoid robot onto ISS this year to begin doing outside activities and indoor crap.

earlier in this thread there is mention of it

They should put that six legged 'dog' robot in space. Would be pretty funny seeing it fail to walk with no gravity. I guess they could change its feet to paddles/oars.

robot%20pingpong.jpg

cant see them either, however, SU was founded by a futurist who is interested in developing technology that can affect a broad range of people for cheap. They also put it in a format for creating new businesses to then produce and market the technology. Near tearm stuff that is game changing.

They have had some positive results and ideas, and a ton of 'students' have attended (a couple hundred)

most of the info i have on SU involves terrestial ideas, haven't seen the stuff on space before

NASA launched or is launching a humanoid robot onto ISS this year to begin doing outside activities and indoor crap.

earlier in this thread there is mention of it

Considering they are on NASA land for now, i can imagine a lot of close working relationships.

p.s. china launched a probe to the moon to survey good landing spots today

also test some new tech for moon travel

Back