+skill

PessimiStick

Contributor
Veteran XX
Is crazy good.

Picked up Maldath last night because I still have enough lead to get AQR, and I offhanded it for the rest of the bosses in BWL, and our C'Thun attempts afterwards (un-enchanted no less). Was first or second (within 2k) with another +skill user (daggers) on every fight in BWL, and I was melting face on C'Thun (+dagger rogue was gone for all but two attempts, one of which I died early, the other where he did).

Our last attempt had someone at 133k, someone at 125k, and me at 165k.

I did the theorycraft and all that, but man... +skill is still *highly* underrrated as far as I'm concerned.

If you're starting an Alliance Combat rogue, roll human. If you're a sword rogue, get Maladath. If you're a dagger rogue, get Aged Core Leather gloves, and possibly a Mugger's Belt. (And Death's Sting but.... that's kinda obvious)

If you're a DW Fury warrior, I would *seriously* consider picking up some Edgemaster's handguards now, while everyone still thinks they are awful. I grabbed a pair for my alt.

The problem with +skill for people is that it's a pve trait. You're never going to fight another player above your level, and you're never going to get a glancing blow on a player so it's not a factor. Every point of skill is 0.04 crit and hit, which is just about meaningless unless you stack tons of it.

I really can't decide what I want to try. I've been focusing on +hit to maximize combat daggers.

I am *very* curious about +skill, though. In a direct comparison to your other armor, would you say switching to +skill was an immediate increase?

PessimiStick said:
If you're a DW Fury warrior, I would *seriously* consider picking up some Edgemaster's handguards now, while everyone still thinks they are awful. I grabbed a pair for my alt.
Hmmm ... they were on my list already; guess they're going to the front of the line.

:D

I use CTS/Brutality under normal conditions.

Also have a Vis'kag that I've toyed with in offhand, but I liked BB better.

Waiting on AQR to drop, then I'll be AQR/CTS normally, and AQR/Maladath for bosses.

I'd say +skill made an immediate impact. You have to have enough white damage to make it really work, I don't *think* you would see the same results with a more specials-centric build like Seal Fate, I think it only gives a huge return for Combat-style builds where >50% of your damage is white.

I would serioulsy suggest getting Aged Core Leather gloves if you're combat daggers Gringo.

On paper, with 50% white damage, you lose on the order of 6% of your total DPS to glancing blows. Some variation, and I think 7-8% might be more realistic, but +10 skill will get that back for you.

So, on a very basic level without getting into a ton of math, +5 skill can be seen as ~ 3-3.5% increase in total DPS.

My initial tests are a big thumbs up.

Combat daggers > Seal Fate for pve
Seal Fate > Combat daggers pvp

That right?

Currently I'm Seal Fate with full darkmantle and DragonFang Blade MH Thunderwood Poker OH.. dmg wise i seem to be holding my own, but is it worth a respec for combat dagger for BWL/AQ40 which my guild is currently doing.

n3m said:
Combat daggers > Seal Fate for pve
Seal Fate > Combat daggers pvp

That right?

Currently I'm Seal Fate with full darkmantle and DragonFang Blade MH Thunderwood Poker OH.. dmg wise i seem to be holding my own, but is it worth a respec for combat dagger for BWL/AQ40 which my guild is currently doing.
Correct, combat daggers is far superior for PvE.

It's a wank ass PvP spec though. It will, however, make you REALLY dangerous if/when you switch back to a PvP build. (Assuming you still PvP a lot with 16/25/10)

Well just got into a raiding guild. So pvp is still fun for me till I get some tier1-2 stuff. With my gear tho is it viable to switch to Combat till I get new armor?

To really excell, combat requires more +hit than Seal Fate. SF only *needs* 6% or so, combat wants as much as you can squeeze on (I have +18% in my normal gear).

Regardless, I'm pretty sure combat daggers will always outdamage SF at any given gear level in PvE.

That makes sense. I was combat Swords with Dal'rends set, and that was nice.
So just a matter of trying it out w/ daggers, and picking up some Bloodfang when i get the chance.

I'm at about 13% to hit right now. With the darkmantle bp (cant get nefs bp yet, guilds a bit stalled due to college finals for a lot of people) and bf bracers, I could get to about 15%.

I'm more concered the items I'd be using to gain +dagger would drop agi/ap to the point they'd offset each other?

Either way, got MC tomorrow, will probably just buy the gloves. I'd assume it's a boss-only type equip then ya?

edit: havin trouble digging up +dagger items

I've got:

Circlet of Restless Dreams +6
Mugger's Belt +5
Aged Core Leather Gloves +5
Distracting Dagger +6

+22, thats 64+ elite to land?

Not sure I could even get the helm yet, our guild isn't quite to the point we drop dragons nonstop.

Last edited:
Definately get the gloves.

The others much be too much of a hit if you have epic weps/etc.

Can try the mugger's belt, it's free, and you can judge for yourself.

And yes, it's really only for bosses/Wyrmguards/other random 63s I'm forgetting.

I would recommend not going above +15 skill and definatly not past +20

You gain +5 skill per level and mobs gain +5 defense per level.

Most bosses are level 63-64.

Back