Old
21 - 06-30-2008, 13:58
Contracts are way out of hand these days. We will soon see another lockout

Sponsored Links
Android1
VeteranXV
Old
22 - 06-30-2008, 14:25
i hope that the cap stops ****ing going up every year...then the teams that sign players to rediculous contracts will be ****ed.

however, bettman will keep increasing the cap by 6 mil/year and soon the floor that teams are required to spend at will be where the cap is now...I think the floor is going to be higher this year than the cap was the first year out of the lockout.

****ing stupid

Krakbaby
VeteranX
Old
23 - 06-30-2008, 14:35
bettman doesnt increase the cap idiot

Baub
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
24 - 06-30-2008, 14:40
The cap is increasing because player salaries are tied to league revenue. It just means that the league is making more money, so the players do too.

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
25 - 06-30-2008, 14:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baub View Post
The cap is increasing because player salaries are tied to league revenue. It just means that the league is making more money, so the players do too.
A great idea in theory, but poorly implemented.

There is no way many teams are making enough money to cover this growth. The revenue sharing is a joke compared to the NFL. I would love to know how they calculate "league revenues", because there is no way many teams are making tons of money.

Houf
VeteranX
Old
26 - 06-30-2008, 15:21
The cap increased only because the canadian dollar had a huge raise this year and all Canadian team made a lot of money because of this. These are the facts: Canadian teams had an overall increase of ~25% of their revenue while American team had ~6.5% average. source (french): Jean-François Bégin : Sundin, sur les ailes du huard | Chroniqueurs | Cyberpresse

Xcursion
VeteranXX
Old
27 - 06-30-2008, 15:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houf View Post
The cap increased only because the canadian dollar had a huge raise this year and all Canadian team made a lot of money because of this. These are the facts: Canadian teams had an overall increase of ~25% of their revenue while American team had ~6.5% average. source (french): Jean-François Bégin : Sundin, sur les ailes du huard | Chroniqueurs | Cyberpresse
That's exactly it. I recall this being discussed in the draft thread too.

Gweedo
VeteranXV
Old
28 - 06-30-2008, 15:48
And yet another move by holmgren for an AHL defenseman. Classic case of a defenseman struggeling to adapt to the american game and the team abandoning him. What the hell are the flyers doing?

Sojourn
VeteranX
Old
29 - 06-30-2008, 17:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweedo View Post
So the fun begin's. I can't believe that the kings dealt their top defenseman Vishnovsky for two average forwards in Edmonton. Bertuzzi cleared waivers was another strange occurance.

How about tampa bay this year? They are looking like one hell of a team at the moment. Rolston, V. Lecavalier and st louis as a top line. Steven Stamkos, Ryan Malone, Jeff Halpern and Jussi Jokinen. I don't think they will be the laughing stock of the league this year. If only they had a decent keeper.
Bertuzzi clearing waivers shouldn't be a surprise at all. Anaheim was going to buy out his contract. Why would a team grab him for $4 million when they can probably get him for less?

Xcursion
VeteranXX
Old
30 - 06-30-2008, 17:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Bertuzzi clearing waivers shouldn't be a surprise at all. Anaheim was going to buy out his contract. Why would a team grab him for $4 million when they can probably get him for less?
Wouldn't they only have to pay half of it while Anaheim would have to pick up the other half? I actually laughed when I saw him on waivers and thought that Edmonton should pick him up so he can do what Burke wanted him to do.

Sojourn
VeteranX
Old
31 - 06-30-2008, 17:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcursion View Post
Stoll was still recovering from a concussion last year so he wasn't performing as well as he had in the past when he had 2 straight + seasons. Vishnovsky was also -18 last season.

Stoll was great in the cirlcle, good at PK and also had a spot on the PP with his shot from the point.

Vishnovsky may be good offensivly but many question his play in his own end. His only real gift will be on the PP but we also have Souray for that. He's also small for a defenseman at only 5-11 and 190 pounds. Oh, and his point total has been dropping like bricks over the past couple years. He went from 67 in 06-07 to 41 in 07-08. Looks pretty similar to what Stoll has done the past couple years. He doesn't have as good of an excuse like Stoll since he was concussed and that can take a long time to recover from.

Vishnovsky is also getting paid 5.6 million a year for the next 5 years. That money could have been better spent on Wade Redden since he's a more solid defenseman and typically he knows how to play his own end since he's only had a single - season his whole NHL career.
I don't know how much you've seen of Visnovsky, but he is easily one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL. This last season was rough for him, but there is nothing wrong with his defensive game. He's an excellent skater and he can move the puck very well. His positioning is usually very solid, and he has a good stick. He is far from a one-dimensional player. His size is certainly a disadvantage, but he makes up for it with his skating ability.

Sojourn
VeteranX
Old
32 - 06-30-2008, 17:16
Quote:
Wouldn't they only have to pay half of it while Anaheim would have to pick up the other half? I actually laughed when I saw him on waivers and thought that Edmonton should pick him up so he can do what Burke wanted him to do.
No, that's only on re-entry waivers. You pay full price for a player being sent down on waivers.

Xcursion
VeteranXX
Old
33 - 06-30-2008, 17:32
Quote:
I don't know how much you've seen of Visnovsky, but he is easily one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL. This last season was rough for him, but there is nothing wrong with his defensive game. He's an excellent skater and he can move the puck very well. His positioning is usually very solid, and he has a good stick. He is far from a one-dimensional player. His size is certainly a disadvantage, but he makes up for it with his skating ability.
I haven't seen a lot of him but I have seen some of him. I don't expect him to do well against Calgary or Minnesota since they're both physical teams and Edmonton will be playing them each 8 times this year.

Quote:
No, that's only on re-entry waivers. You pay full price for a player being sent down on waivers.
Ah, I didn't know that. It's no wonder why so many cleared waivers then.

Sojourn
VeteranX
Old
34 - 06-30-2008, 17:43
Quote:
I haven't seen a lot of him but I have seen some of him. I don't expect him to do well against Calgary or Minnesota since they're both physical teams and Edmonton will be playing them each 8 times this year.
He might surprise you. He's the kind of player who could do very well defending against a Gaborik, because of his speed and lateral movement, though I wouldn't put him against a player like Iginla. I don't say this with a lot of pleasure. He was on a team I hate, but I saw tons of him. Unless he has another **** season, he will probably be worth every penny that he's being paid.

He's no Niedermayer, but he's solid defensively, and that skating ability can really make up for the occasional mistake.

Gweedo
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 06-30-2008, 17:59
Exactly my point. He is one of my favourite defenseman to watch because he is almost identical in the way he plays to kimmo timmonen. The flyers made a very strange move today. We dealt a player we have only just picked up for a sixth round draft pick next year. Maybe we were clearing out dead weight and had no intentions of keeping the player. Or maybe the player is keep to go back to russia. Who knows

Fonzie
VeteranXV
Old
36 - 06-30-2008, 21:28
150 minutes until free agency signings begin.

Gweedo
VeteranXV
Old
37 - 06-30-2008, 21:31
i'm going to sleep now. But when i wake i expect to see the flyers have signed campbell or streit, or managed to trade Jim dowd for pronger. Well i guess i can dream

Android1
VeteranXV
Old
38 - 06-30-2008, 21:42
im pretty sure free agency starts at noon and not midnight

Xcursion
VeteranXX
Old
39 - 06-30-2008, 21:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
im pretty sure free agency starts at noon and not midnight
I don't think so. Midnight Eastern is when the cap goes up and I am pretty sure it's open season on the free agents. That's actually when the Oilers are expected to make a trade involving Pitkanen.

Android1
VeteranXV
Old
40 - 06-30-2008, 21:47
i swear to god i heard it was noon tomorrow on XM today

Page 2 of 40

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Official] NHL free agency

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
badmofo has a huge penis , badmofo is faggot , bettman ruined tribes , but i poop from there! , canada sucks , crosby loves dick , epic thread , free gon , fuck you all :# yetskii , hockey , hockey. who gives a shit? , ikea is for faggots , kahula lays jew eggs , kings , lol leafs lol , nhl , penis , pens suck , red wings sc champs , visnovsky , yetskii is a homer , yetskii works at ikea , yetskii=dickstain