[Community Sing]How Many Audacity, Cubase, Logic users we got here?

GreasyBoy

Veteran XX
Pretty sure Cubase, Audacity and Logic play pretty well together. Maybe we could use Sonor, Reaper and other VST compatible audio software, (I don't know) but what would ya'lll say about a community project/TW album?

LIke I stated, I'm not too up on anything but Cubase 5 and Audacity (I have Reaper and Sonor Producer) but haven't had a chance to use them.

Maybe some might even make it on the new Tribes game, but that wouldn't be the focus. There are some pretty cool cats around here as far as musicians and I think it might be fun, teach some newbs some tricks, maybe even some old timers.

Whadda ya'll think?

My foot hurts, but my studio is getting close.
picture53g.jpg

An album has been talked about in the past, but it would be a very ambitious project and I honestly doubt we'd all have the time to pull it off. Also, the more people you add, the more complicated everything gets. Here's how things have gone in the past:

Started with this:
Let's compose something together by blazindave - TribalWar Forums
Which turned into this:
TW Music Collective (progressive) song by Alvarez - TribalWar Forums
Which spawned this idea:
[Poll]TW *first* music competition by blazindave - TribalWar Forums

PS - sweet beard

I wrote music that was in the trailer for T:V....not sure how proud of that I am, but at least 30K people downloaded the video and heard my tune :)

Cubase 5 user here. Yeah, I actually bought a license, and have sold enough product to pay for it. I also have a UAD2 Duo Neve card which is flat out amazing.

I guess I next have to get an iLok for Waves crap. Damn you Waves, I hate your licensing, upgrade & copy protection BS, but love your products.

My Cubase is licensed as well, but I've testing going back and forth between Cubase and Audactiy, and as long as you don't get too crazy it works pretty well.

For anyone interested...
Main Audacity Page is here.
Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

I recommend using the 1.3.12 Beta version. Everything works as far as I can tell, it's stable and I haven't had any problems with it.
Audacity: Download
Left side of the page

Few main plugins you'll need are here
Audacity: Windows
Under Optional Downloads you'll need
LADSPA Plugins
LAME MP3 Encoder

Go back to the 1.2 downloads page here
Audacity: Windows

Download the VST enabler. You'll need it to run any VSTs in Audacity, and it works fine with the 1.3 version of Audacity.

Main Plugins page is here
Audacity: Plug-Ins and Libraries

You'll want to download the Nyquist plugins
Audacity: Download Nyquist Plug-Ins
Some good tweaking and tinkering tools

They also have some kinks for VSTs, KVR is one of the better ones to start off with.

If this takes off, I'll create a package of all of my freeware/shareware plugins, or which I have a shitload and it will save some time hunting some of this stuff down.

Audacity Wiki page has everything as well, and had some pretty good info.

You will need an A/D interface of some sort. I used the 1/8" mic jack for the longest before I could afford a pro card. That said, if you have an open PCI or PCI-e slot, E-MU makes an awesome cheap A/D card for about $100 with loads of breakout cables for 1/4", SPDIF, MIDI in/out and lightpipe. It was my first card and the software that comes with it is great and easy to use, plus it has its own built in FX processing unit for rates of 48K and below. (Delays, flanges, distortions, etc.) I used to run it at 96K, it sounded great and worked like a champ.

Back