[OFN] Blizzard Download is a piece of shit

FalseMyrmidon

1700+
Veteran XV
35c3fyf.jpg

Been going for like a week.

Last edited:
Why would you bother? Just download it from a mirror on the day of release. Unless you're on some ghetto ISP, 273mb should be pretty quick.

Have you setup port forwarding? I have found the no problems indicated indicator to be unreliable. With port forwarding setup it went pretty fast even on my shitass 3 Mbit DSL.

I just cut mine off.

Not only was it downloading at a rate of about 1% every 8 hours, but it was constantly knocking me off IRC. And it said "No problems detected."

Riiiiight...

My service is bad, but come on.

who cares if it downloads slowly? it seems like it's designed to download over a few weeks so that while it's running in the background it doesn't interfere with everything else you're trying to do. as in..it's not going to max your bandwidth to download a file you don't even need for what could be a month or two

Haven't even started that, having logged on in a week and I think I tried once but it didn't "register" for their shitty BT client DL.

who cares if it downloads slowly? it seems like it's designed to download over a few weeks so that while it's running in the background it doesn't interfere with everything else you're trying to do. as in..it's not going to max your bandwidth to download a file you don't even need for what could be a month or two

Well it would be nice if we could see the settings and tweak them for our connections, wouldn't it? Maybe I want to cap the concurrent connections so it's not constantly disconnecting me from Live and IRC (my ISP regulates these types of P2P connections heavily). Perhaps others might like it to download faster?

But all of that is locked away. AKA, it's a stupid broken downloader and it sucks massive cartoon donkey dick.

They really should just post a .torrent file so people can just use whatever the fuck they please. Obviously this wouldn't integrate as well and couldn't self install and shit when it's done, but it's not that hard to double click an exe.

I wont be playing this game again until they release new races/classes to dick around on.

The new classes will be OP at first, and therefore fun, in order to lure in people to play the game. Once everyone is suckered in, they'll promptly nerf it and I'll quit again. See: Death Knights. :shrug:

I wont be playing this game again until they release new races/classes to dick around on.

The new classes will be OP at first, and therefore fun, in order to lure in people to play the game. Once everyone is suckered in, they'll promptly nerf it and I'll quit again. See: Death Knights. :shrug:
In one of the recent interviews, I think with GhostCrawler, they sounded like they didn't want to have to deal with adding a new class next expansion. So I think you're looking at 2012.

It's amusing, in a number of my pugging excursions I have found a lot of DKs are not only new players but they specifically leveling something else to 55 just so they can get their DK. I suspect a good majority of these neglected lvl 55s are probably hunters.

There's a difference between slow and "So slow it would be faster to mail it to me on a CD".

Well for one it's a torrent download which some ISPs (like Charter) throttle, regardless of content. Then there's the issue of shitty routers that can't handle the number of connections a p2p transfer initiates. Don't forget the hardcoded limit on half open TCP connections in TCPIP.SYS (used frequently in the BT protocol) that has to be patched to raise. If none of those are issues then you could be saturating your upstream sending the patch to your peers which adversely affects your download.

AT&T/BellSouth doesn't fuck with my torrents, I'm running DD-WRT, my TCPIP.SYS is patched, and I have QoS rules in place on the router to limit upload to 24KB (the sweet spot for avoiding saturation). I got all of the available patch the day WoWInsider said it was popping up.

It's on their end. I have all the ports open and download shit all the time with uTorrent. It also refuses to connect to the HTTP Direct Download for some reason.

I think it's bullshit that you pay $12-$15/month and they make you use fucking torrents. Steam doesn't pull that shit.

Plus, why cant they make it one download? Why do i have to download one file then 15 fucking updates, which have a prompt at the end of each so i can't even just leave it overnight?

Back