Question about Mage vs Druid

Data

Contributor
Veteran XX
I don't PvP very often, so this is little more than a curiosity for me. I happened to spend a little time defending the bonfire in IF this weekend, so it came up.

As an Arcane Mage, what tools would I use to catch/kill a Druid (any spec) who's determined to get away?

I tend to think that, given the combination of Blink, Polymorph, Slow, Frost Nova, Spell Steal, Cone of Cold, Arcane Barrage, Missile Barrage, Fire Blast, and Presence of Mind... I might be the best equipped to overtake and kill a same-level Druid. But even with 3 or 4 guards beating on him I had trouble and failed several times. Druid forms are the ultimate escape artist.

Granted, I was in full PvE gear, and they may have been in full PvP gear. Does that really matter?

Also, Bubblehearth is the cheapest shit I have ever seen. Ever.

So am I stuck rotating slow/spell steal/blink and spamming my instants in between until he's down or gone... or one of us runs out of mana?

On my Shaman I could Frost Shock/Purge and just melee them to death. That's not really an option here.

Catch a druid that's trying to get away? Like in WSG? Just keep casting Slow on them until they run out of mana from shifting, that's how arcane mages would beat me as a druid (feral) if I was solely attempting to run from them. If you spend cooldowns like Blink and Frost Nova wisely, you can probably avoid them if they try to come after you too. Honestly I'm not sure how well this method would work vs a resto since they have a lot more mana/regen...I hear Slow is a mana hog too.

Well this was in Ironforge.

Slow isn't a trivial mana cost, but I do have a mana gem I could burn. And then the Druid can just cast Innervate and keep going... Seems like he still has the advantage.

druid survivability is OP, you really gotta catch them in a low hp silence

druid main here. u cant really "catch" them if they want to kite (not including specs)
especially with 4set bonus (+20% speed on top of talents)

polymorphing ppl off mounts in mid is usually fail in CTF and C&H

as for as pvp to pve. being pve gear helps your damage output, but hurts your survivability (lack of resilience+stam)

Last edited:
Back