Wanted to ask the community about this: do you want a ton of new players, yes/no?

Ok, quick intro, been playing tribes since it came out wayyyy back when, it's still my favorite FPS of all time. I run a youtube channel with a lot of subscribers, it's mainly gaming videos ranging from FPS to rhythm games to platformers and so on. Most of my recent videos have been of somewhat unknown games, older games, trying to introduce them to people who may have never heard about them or forgot about them.

Lots of people nowadays though don't know about this game, and even with the 1.40 beta being leaked servers barely have anyone in them most of the time.

What I want to do is make a few instructional + gameplay videos of how to play tribes (first just for base, and then for the more popular mods also). I'm a decent tribes player, not the best though, so these will be pretty much educational only and not showing off or whatever.

Now, if I go ahead and make these and post them, more than likely the Tribes servers will get flooded with people. The last time I made a video introducing a new, "unheard" of game to my youtube viewers, some 5,000+ people joined the game and made accounts. Not sure if it'll happen like that again or if it'll be a smaller/bigger amount this time, though.

After installing the 1.40 beta, I found this forum and it seems a lot of you are pretty hardcore players, veterans, etc. and so instead of just running off and doing this, I figured i'd ask you guys first.

So, which of these would you prefer:

1) Don't make the videos and keep things as they are

2) Make the videos, we want more players on the servers

I'll try my best with the videos to make them informative enough that players won't be joining Tribes and basically getting mowed down within seconds, but even with the tutorial videos they'll still probably need time to get decent at the game.

So yeah, just respond in PM's, to this topic, whichever. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this also, wasn't sure whether to post it in here or General Discussion.

If you want to get some footage on more mods in the game, such as Annihilation mod, I would be happy to help you out in any way I can. I'm an amazing player in that mod, and I could show you some pretty cool things if you ever want to check it out sometime. Just shoot me a PM here or on my site.

Last edited:
What was the "unheard" of game? Link to video plz.

It was JamLegend - Music Gaming Unleashed
People have heard of it a lot nowadays, not as many had heard of it before that video, just going by the numbers and talking to some of the admins on the site.

YouTube - Stratovarius - Deep Unknown (JamLegend Legendary Guitar Tap) is the video that got people to join, but it's since been hit by copyright and audioswapped.

azuritereaction's Profile | JamLegend there's my profile on there: if you check right underneath my name on the page, it shows "followers": those are people who signed up to the site using my link to the site. The people at jamlegend asked me to change the link to just a homepage link to their site though, since when people join under you, you get an XP bonus: I got most of those 4,000 or so in about 48 hours. At the rate people were joining, I know a few thousand more had to have joined after I changed the link to the homepage link.

Now, I did a similar video for a similar game recently, and their daily users went from 200 to only 1,300 or so, so not as big of an increase as Jamlegend but it was definitely a noticable increase in users. I think people learning about a free FPS game with a huge amount of variety in mods/weapons/gameplay are going to jump on it pretty quick.

A lot of my viewers are people who are very into customization, having high degrees of choice in their games, all that kind of stuff so if anything the mods with a lot of armor/deployable/weapon/pack choices will probably appeal to them, but I expect just as many people will join LT and base servers too.

I was on the IRC server for a while last night talking to a few people, what i plan to do after talking to them is this:

-1 video showing base mod and all the basics of the game
-2 videos showing LT, Armageddon, Shifter, Renegades, Ultra Renegades, and all the weapons/armor/deployables/planes/packs in each one of the mods with their uses
-1 "highlight reel"/music video showing some of the pro clips/footage, a few of the people in IRC wanted to give me lots of demos

I'd also use some of the pro clips in the tutorial videos to show what the weapon could be used like at high levels of gameplay.

And yeah, once I get this stuff all lined out i'll post it here to take suggestions etc.

Last edited:
It would sound like a good plan if

1) people realized Tribes is dead, the servers would be empty and all these newbies wouldn't get bitchowned by vets

2) you didn't come here to advertise it so vets would log on and bitchown newbs just for the lulz

but alas

Tribes is dead, and shit like this ain't gonna revive it

Not sure why a video would convince anyone to play a game with no active player-base.

- Hey, this looks cool ... let's check it out.
- Where are the players?
- Delete.

yeah fuck you azurite for trying

even though i have to do absolutely nothing i will shoot ur idea down anyway

35192c2.png

opsayo tried by leaking 1.40 - wow great idea you fucking retard. why don't you just start handing out all your cheats you little bitch cock.

Not sure why a video would convince anyone to play a game with no active player-base.

- Hey, this looks cool ... let's check it out.
- Where are the players?
- Delete.

The players would consist of the hundreds/thousands of people who'd all join at once, basically.

just saying, it's a retarded idea. if he wants to waste his time, don't let me stop him

No problem, then.

Not sure why people are still on this forum if the game is supposedly dead and you don't think the userbase can be revived: if you really liked this game, why be so against it coming back to life?

Last edited:
tw posters are the fundamentalist christians of the tribe world

they have the strongest opinions and are sure they are right, but everybody else laughs at them and their stupidity ;-D

sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm just worried about 500+ people all trying to join the few servers left.
It might take awhile to get a spot :/

I'm willing to help out as well.
I can make nice full installs for the people to download.
I can give some good clips for the video as well.

No problem, then.

Not sure why people are still on this forum if the game is supposedly dead and you don't think the userbase can be revived: if you really liked this game, why be so against it coming back to life?
You obviously haven't been around for the bazillion other attempts at "reviving the userbase", most of which were a lot more viable than this one, and all of which failed spectacularly. People don't want to play T1 anymore for various reasons, plain and simple. You can make all the videos you want, but it won't do jack to bring Tribes back to life. You'll see that for yourself. Or, you could listen to someone with actual experience and save yourself the trouble.

the other attempts to revive tribes were all pretty bad, and they all appealed to the people on this forum who:
- can't get over nostalgia
- were never good to begin with
- waste peoples time by claiming interest but never actually going through with anything

and despite that, you seem to think those revivals failed, but it's all about how you are quantifying it. if you expected the revivals to make tribes into a mainstream game - newsflash: it never was. all the drafts, throwback, lasthope, hudbot, weekly pickups - they all significantly revived the game and player base. you probably don't understand this because you're so detached from the community and too focused on your invented past to realize it

his videos seem to get 10k views after a month, and seem to average out at around 30k views after 6 months. he has dozens of videos which have 1-4 million views and 90,000 subscribers. the sheer volume of those viewers means that if maybe even 5-10% of those people try the game out for a week, we'll have as large of a player base as tribes had back in 99-00 if not larger. they'll all be horrible, but sheer volume is what we need these days, not quality. which is why appealing to this forum was always the wrong approach, because for about 8 years this forum has had neither to offer.

im not saying this is the deus ex machina which will revive tribes, but it's safe to say that it will easily bring in at least 5x our current player base. it may interest server owners (specifically stork, maverick, oldman/bugs) to put up a server for a month as well, and perhaps azurite can do a shoutout to branzone server hosting and branzone could throw in a server or two to help us out

it takes like literally no effort on anyone's part short of azurite's video editing itself, so i don't see why you come here as a never was and tell people that tribes is dead as if you have some carnal fear that people still enjoy playing it. when people like you insistently tell the current players that the game isn't fun anymore, the game takes no skill anymore, the past was better - all that we can see is a psychological similarity between you and the members of the westboro baptist church.

its a video game, you need to stop living in the past and looking through rose colored glasses. i hardly play at all these days, but a good idea is a good idea - especially a harmless one with good intentions that requires zero contribution on your part. hes offering to do a multiple video guide and shoutout to his viewer base, and you guys are shooting it down due to being jaded or run out of the game at some point

Last edited:
Back