Vengeance Vengeance

xgalaxy said:
If you were to somehow get the Tribes IP transfered to the righful owners, see sig, then you wouldn't need VUG for anything. GarageGames would host the master servers. GarageGames would make new Tribes games. GarageGames would make fucking patches.

Need I say more?

Well, I think I'd rather hear that from Garage Games... :)

Marweas said:
LOL, no, writing VUG will do nothing.

VUG always listens attentively to their customers: Best Buy, Walmart, EB, Gamestop. And believe me that one thousand well-coordinated emails to the right people in one week will result in all remaining copies of TV being sent back to VUG for a refund. Take the money they have to pay back retailers against the full-price buy-in, add the opportunity cost of the $20 those copies were supposed to sell for, and you have a small dent in VUG's 2005 annual report. And if it's big enough to have to mention on the annual report, well...

But this is an action that only works well-organized, so don't try this at home.

The drum roll is still rolling....

Marweas I really believe that is wishful thinking your just better off having a similar game without the name Tribes on it. Tribes has never been a real money maker for them anyway. What difference does some loss for T:V make when they have HL2 and WOW two top rated games at least according to the mags I have neither of them.

The secret 5150 plan(financed by Daddy warbucks Dread)to buy the rights to the IP would happen a lot easier and for cheaper with the game dead and hated.

Uncle Silas said:
Spill the beans and I'll get on board. I don't play any Tribes games anymore and I miss them.

Ahh the many dormant Tribes players. VU has no idea.

If there is anything that actually might do something, its convincing VU to give up the franchise to its creator in Garage Games. Otherwise we are always dealing with VUG and Tribes will go nowhere.

Seems to me the core problem is the fact that VUG owns the Tribes IP, unless there is a way the community can pool their resources and buy it outright from VUG thus freeing Tribes from VUG completely I don't think there is much that can be done to keep the franchise alive. If this is a possibility would Garage Games even be interested in taking over support for the franchise? after all they are who started it all and they are who would have the best chance of making at least a majority of the community happy.

Since most of the community feels completely burned by VUG and have decided to basically boycott any products released by VUG in the future I don't think any support offered by VUG will mend any fences at this point.

I don't want to see the Tribes games dissapear, and I don't think it's dead by any means but as long as we enjoy the games and want to play them VUG has us by the short and curleys.

Tribes is like the 60's and 70's. Tribes 2 is like the 80's and 90s. T:V is the enron era. Until we get a team of player/coders who are enamoured of the game, we won't get what we want. I believe it has to start as a labor of love. A risk. Once established, it can flourish again rising like a blood red phoenix from the ashes of a burnt out base raped by greedy corporate bastards.

I hope Marweas has a plan not only for the method by which VUG gets clusterfucked, but also how we get enough manpower to pull it off.

I just want everyone to come out and really tell us the story behind VUG, T:V, IG...etc. None of this surgar coated crap that we get dished all the time.

then

VUG gives the community a "License" to reuse components of T2 and adapt them to the Torque engine so that a new game can be quickly built. Models, textures, gametypes, world editors, and any T2 scripting could be used. The new graphics engine from Torque can be used to update the look of the game and I think everyone would agree that torque is more than capable of handling the needs of any tribes game.

edit: this read like I want to remake T2...it's meant more to eliminate the need to recode stuff that worked fine in T2 and possibly allow the existing scripts to only be slightly modified to work with T:C :p

This way, VUG maintains its IP if they should ever want to make another tribes game. VUG looks good to all of the gamer community for the support they show their gamers. The comminuty can scavange the useable T2 pieces to make a game quicker. GGs gets the opportunity to have a huge game showcase their engine. Finally, the community gets what we wanted...a tribes game that WE want.

It's the only solution IMO that could make everyone happy.

Last edited:
Marweas said:
LOL, no, writing VUG will do nothing.

VUG always listens attentively to their customers: Best Buy, Walmart, EB, Gamestop. And believe me that one thousand well-coordinated emails to the right people in one week will result in all remaining copies of TV being sent back to VUG for a refund. Take the money they have to pay back retailers against the full-price buy-in, add the opportunity cost of the $20 those copies were supposed to sell for, and you have a small dent in VUG's 2005 annual report. And if it's big enough to have to mention on the annual report, well...

But this is an action that only works well-organized, so don't try this at home.

good points... but fuck.

again, towards what end?

big time reactionary politics CAN get shit done, but often does precisely the OPPOSITE of what those at the bottom want (ive seen it many times).

combine an orchestrated refund + letters from SHAREHOLDERS + a working plan/mtg via a mature, organized agent that wants a shot at development = MIGHT get something done

otherwise, all you do is get more people fucked at Sierra/VUG and nothing accomplished...

43,000 copies sold.

you WILL not get half of those returned eevn with the best orchestrated plan. what might get mentioned in the annual report is a new policy regarding IP management.

last i checked, lawyers and top execs made core policy decisions... and they will NOT react to some pin prick of a group of disgruntled fans from a dead brand... unless there is something for them... and unless it fits within the wider policies they hold so tight.

WHAT THE FUCK makes us think VUG is gonna be even remotely considering transferring rights over their real estate (to use an anology)??? at best, you propose a lowball new sub-contract... but do you really think that is gonna happen any time soon without a strong plan?

the manpower is the key.

Almost all of the newcomers to these forums were run off by the relentless smacktalk within days of them coming here.

That may have been the very manpower needed.

If that winds up being the case, then the irony is in the fact that the above problem was brought up back around December and the forum vets were laughing about their cyber trophies.

That would be a sore turn lol. In order for the community to get back at VUG, it would take the effort of those they ran off. heh, guess talking smack doesn't get anyone very far in life after all lol (except GWB of course).

Mar is right tho, such an effort would work and it would also kill any chance of there ever being another Tribes game. Unless someone wins the lottery and is willing to buy the rights of the name off of them.

I dont really believe that this is going to go anywhere marweas. Not that I dont want it to, but realistically I dont see it happening.

But in any case, if you really wanted the plan to work, why dont you just set up an organization of parents concerned over the welfare of children (or something) and get a ton of people to sign petitions for the removal of TV off of store shelves for some reason or another. ( you just need some well worded complaints; violence, sexism (julia), etc).

Then you just send out these petitions to various retailers like wall-mart, kmart, and so on. When they hear about a bunch of angry parents condemming T:V, maybe they will pull it off the shelves..

:shrug:

He's asking us for our support and help with his plan.

I can say this. I will go do almost anything to make VUG realize that they did something wrong. It wasn't their dream to begin with yet they have the complete power to end it. Guys, he has a plan.

You have my support and resources.

Also, I just want to point out that the BBB (Better Business Bureau) is a great route for getting a dispute handled.
link
A ton of complaints through there is a great, free way to fire a warning shot over the bow of VUG if needed. It would have to be soon though. Regardless of the outcome of Tribes, if a company is selling shitty product, it should be reported.

Last edited:
xgalaxy said:
If you were to somehow get the Tribes IP transfered to the righful owners, see sig, then you wouldn't need VUG for anything. GarageGames would host the master servers. GarageGames would make new Tribes games. GarageGames would make fucking patches.

Need I say more?

Wrong, we would need you to make Tribes 3. We will distribute it. You just make it. ;)

Back