Reload this Page Vengeance Vengeance
Page 15 of 25
Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
281 - 04-05-2005, 16:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vir

People say "no one will ever agree on what Tribes is". Exactly, that's why the next tribes game if it ever is made, has to be designed to appeal to the largest audience possible. This franchise desperately needs new blood, once that has been achieved, then you can add the mod tools so the tired OLD blood can make the game as they see fit.

This is why its crucial we stop with the battling over which is greater, which was more successfull, which was played more, which sucks more... It has to end. It's nolonger about T1 or T2 or T:V or Legends period. It's now, just about Tribes. We have to put all that baggage that has dogged us over the years away.

Our differences no longer matter. The PanamaJack's, NoFix's, Bitraisers, Marweas's, Hellsfurys, Virs, SLaMs, KineticPoets, KnightMares, Pachacutecs no longer matter, we're all just Tribesplayers right now. As much as it hurts to suck it up and lay down our ego's and not battle each other over the petty **** that is truely no longer important as of this moment in our history, we have to for the sake of the one thing, if the only thing, we ever had in common. TRIBES.

If we could do that, and I don't pretend it would be easy, it would be the greatest thing we could ever do to honor the thing that brought all together in the first place. It might just be the first step towards the only way to save TRIBES.

(and its not like we'd have to play nice forever... just long enough to get the Tribes IP by sticking it to VUG)

Sponsored Links
El Mariachi
VeteranXV
Old
282 - 04-05-2005, 16:06
Irrational ****ed T:V up so bad I had more fun playing with Unhandled Exceptions in T2 than that piece of ****.

WeRe-|WoLf|-
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
283 - 04-05-2005, 16:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vir
This franchise desperately needs new blood, once that has been achieved, then you can add the mod tools so the tired OLD blood can make the game as they see fit.
Once again I agree with your assessments. And on that note, the hatred of some for the investment on sp is short sighted. It was relatively fine work, and could have contributed to our end goals as well, whether we care for the sp or not.

Our problem remains what it has been for years, that a lot of fine creative potential is derailed by the influence of corporate "bottom line" mentality. It's the same thing that thinking developers like Warren Spector have been saying for a while, that games are going to continue to suffer until relationships between publishers and developers are redefined, and new distribution models found.

It's good at least to see some constructive thought go into the TT forum again. So far I'm dubious about the impact on a campaign against the VUG Tribes franchise, but certainly willing to help.

By whatever means we need for this franchise or some abstractly related one to be in the hands of developers again. I'm reading every post in hopes of contstructive thoughts.

axle-
VeteranXV
Old
284 - 04-05-2005, 16:19
Since this thread has turned into absolute ****, i have a question. If we can't get what we want from VUG for tribes, would GG have the resources to make a tribes-like game, with a different name?

And if they did, would they?

TseTse
VeteranX
Old
285 - 04-05-2005, 16:19
yep.

new tribes should (have been) BOTH old school t1-style ctf + tribes2-inspired large scale combat.

i find it amazing that people talk **** about IG like they were the problem when it was Marweas and Thrax who came up with this design (including the SP), then pushed it within a 2 year contract with IG that also included another game (swat4).

IG had a year to do what Thrax and VUG told them to do. They tried really hard to meet the mission (did pretty good) and had to immediately drop it and start work on the next game.... (didnt even get a chance to properly patch the game)

Let's wake up, folks...

xgalaxy
VeteranX
Old
286 - 04-05-2005, 16:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightingBlast
are u from GG?

edit:to killerb
Yes, yes he is.

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
287 - 04-05-2005, 16:34
Anyone else remember this quote by Alex Rodberg(Marweas):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marweas-Dec2002
When we make another Tribes game
(I'm still thinking of a good name)
Skiing will require skill -
No speed cap, and skiing uphill.
The graphics rock - worlds come alive -
But won't require a GeForce 5.
Lance, bomber, tank, I doubt they'll go
But they'll be better this time though.
We learned our lesson about forums -
They're the domain of those who whore 'em.
An open beta early on
Will help make sure the bugs are gone

So it's a given that we'll have one
And only launch when it is done.
Can't trust a weasel not to lie
But cross my fingers, hope to die
No more a question - may or might
The next Tribes game got a green light.
So, the big question, Alex, what did you learn this time?

edit: http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/show...0&pagenumber=1

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
288 - 04-05-2005, 16:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsfury
This is why its crucial we stop with the battling over which is greater, which was more successfull, which was played more, which sucks more...
We have to talk about which approach is best. Even at the cost of our own personal likes and dislikes. We just can't leave it up to another dev team and hope they get it right this time. That just means another T:V.

TseTse
VeteranX
Old
289 - 04-05-2005, 17:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by axle-
Since this thread has turned into absolute ****, i have a question. If we can't get what we want from VUG for tribes, would GG have the resources to make a tribes-like game, with a different name?
I have no reason to believe GG is a fully equipped game studio atm, but i also have no reason to believe they couldnt effectively organize development of a new game for pc, mac and linux that both makes (most) old diehard fans happy but also attracts a wider audience with large scale warfare stuff as well.

To me, the question is ON WHAT TERMS could such a deal be formed.

Rallying some reactionary attack in our community and VUG is retarded. An orchestrated squeeky wheel with a PRO-active plan (including shareholder letters, not some whiney fan letters)... behind GG or whatever might work.

I highly doubt VU has policies which allow divisions and subsidiaries to sell IP, so i think folks need to put this whole concept aside. This is an entertainment conglomerate, and for them... brand names and IP generally are like real estate and equity. They'd sooner put it in the basement to collect dust than risk losing cashing it in for something 10 years from now (even if that means a cartoon).

That said, if there was a plan which proposed GG making a cross-platform product which cost VUG next to nothing (or nothing) and could perhaps breath new life into the brand... why wouldnt VUG agree?

But such a plan cant assume ANY investment/capital, promises or support. It would be nothing more than a labor of love... and perhaps a way for GG to show off a top end FPS using TSE in 2 years.

IMO, if the proposal is conceived of properly, the risk is all GG's and not VUG's.

We ARENT gonna be able to leverage some miracle for tribes brand by being destructive or loud. However, we COULD leverage some surprise situation that fits VUG's interest and ours as well.

But if we want any future tribes game to be successful, imo it has to break from the one-size-fits-all thinking. It oughta have what T1 fans love and then go way beyond T2 in terms of large scale combat. It has to do both.

KnightMare
VeteranX
Old
290 - 04-05-2005, 17:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse

IG had a year to do what Thrax and VUG told them to do. They tried really hard to meet the mission (did pretty good) and had to immediately drop it and start work on the next game.... (didnt even get a chance to properly patch the game)

Let's wake up, folks...

bull****.IG had no idea was tribes was about, thats why TV is like the way TV is.

Firerizer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
291 - 04-05-2005, 17:23
In perfect world, GarageGames would develope with their technology a sound, but very basic seed foundation. This seed would have the playable game environment, movements, player models to represent the various armors and the front end interface. Sell the seed game for $25 from their website, and for developers, the engine for their going price.
The seed would be the most basic of playable formats.
GarageGames could engage in a simple contract with community mappers to provide roughly 10 maps for the seed. GarageGames keeps control of the seed and its improvements, and can incorporate the positive trends generated from community involvement.
As the seed evolves, the ultimate goal should be to merge the play mechanics of all aspects to become a game environment that can expand from individual infantry, upwards to the incorporation of the mechanized elements
of the game universe.

I really don't know why GG hasn't tried to atleast offer something in the same vein as that that they had a hand in creating in the first place?

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
292 - 04-05-2005, 17:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightMare
bull****.IG had no idea was tribes was about, thats why TV is like the way TV is.
Yeah, and hardly had only a year... They had about 3, if you consider the initial prototype they did up for VUG.

KillerBunny
VeteranX
Old
293 - 04-05-2005, 17:46
Quote:
Irrational Games, KineticPoet and Thrax, Marweas was a pretty "All Star" team
Look, not to stomp on any toes...but in what competition does that count as an "All Star team" for Tribes?

Yes. I am from GarageGames. I did Tribes scripting work way back in the day, and I played for Synergy for a while too. I was at the first TribesCon, I've been a fan and a contributer since day 1 of Tribes, and I want T1 again just as bad. (And still play it almost every day)

One of the problems with doing a game that is almost exactly like Tribes but isn't Tribes is what I'd call the "off by one shade" problem. When you have two colors that are almost the same, but are one shade off, it looks worse than if you have two colors that are like 5 shades off. It's the same way with doing a lot of things. If you try to animate a human, you basically get a better looking picture progressivly as you get more skill, then it starts to look "worse" because it's close enough to 'real' to be compared with something real, and it pales in comparison. There's a mental-disconnect that goes on before that. I'm afraid that trying to do a Tribes game without it being Tribes would be much the same way. (Ala T:V) We would rather join everyone else in saying, "Tribes was a great game," and being right, than to have everyone know us as the guys who tried to rip-off Tribes and ****ed it up or something.

Water_Marine
Veteran++
Old
294 - 04-05-2005, 18:06
I don't want to say anything wrong about this, but heck...
Let GG try to make a Tribes game.
We all buy as much as possible from it.
If VUG comes, sue their asses.
We've got thousands(Maybe not THAT much) of people hovering over VUG's dead corpse.

NetAtNite
Veteran++
Old
295 - 04-05-2005, 18:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vir
People say "no one will ever agree on what Tribes is". Exactly, that's why the next tribes game if it ever is made, has to be designed to appeal to the largest audience possible. This franchise desperately needs new blood, once that has been achieved, then you can add the mod tools so the tired OLD blood can make the game as they see fit.
You just described what T:V was supposed to be.

Red Shifter
VeteranXX
Old
296 - 04-05-2005, 18:10
Quote:
An open beta early on
Sounds like everything that Tribes Vengeance was not.

NetAtNite
Veteran++
Old
297 - 04-05-2005, 18:12
Besides, if I read them right, Legends is going to save us all by being Tribes 4.

zVxTeflon
VeteranX
Old
298 - 04-05-2005, 18:13
Quote:
An open beta early on
who could have predicted this would be the biggest load of **** ever

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
299 - 04-05-2005, 18:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetAtNite
You just described what T:V was supposed to be.
Even in the supposed to be stage T:V was a game that catered to a certain old school style. Completely alienating all the new people that the series managed to bring in with T2. Totally opposite of what should have been done and what needs to be done yet again.

|CO|Kapeket!!
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
300 - 04-05-2005, 18:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse
I have no reason to believe GG is a fully equipped game studio atm, but i also have no reason to believe they couldnt effectively organize development of a new game for pc, mac and linux
No Linux? Go die. Its that simple. Don't even consider it unless development for all three OSes are accomplished simultaneously. You might as well forget this concept without serious efforts on all three fronts.

Page 15 of 25

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Vengeance Vengeance

Social Website Bullshit