Looking for a new game 'like Tribes to play?

rilkean panther said:
You're argument is appealing. However, there's a legends guy running around this forum with a "we're not tribes" attitude. People want Tribes, in spirit if not in name. Also, what if Marweas's call to action generates actual interest and support, what kind of concessions to the public such as Marweas is encouraging is Legends willing to make? Or is it, hi, help us finish our not-tribes game?
Its not Tribes because it CANT be Tribes. It is however a game born out of the spirit of Tribes. If youve played it, youd agree it basically is Tribes.

Also, they dont need help finishing it. They can do it on their own in their own time, I have no doubt. It would just be helpful to get some actual support for the development rather than working on it in their own free time. Its not easy no matter what people think.

And all that I have seen people crying outfor, is already embodied in Legends. It exists, and I dont understand why people dont notice that.

Last edited:
DipStick said:
Its not Tribes because it CANT be Tribes. It is however a game born out of the spirit of Tribes. If youve played it, youd agree it basically is Tribes.

Also, they dont need help finishing it. They can do it on their own in their own time, I have no doubt. It would just be helpful to get some actual support for the development rather than working on it in their own free time. Its not easy no matter what people think.

And all that I have seen people crying outfor, is already embodied in Legends. It exists, and I dont understand why people dont notice that.

I have played it. And I am under no illusion like the "we're not tribes" guy. That's why I can't understand his approach. You're a much better liasson. Tell him to stop posting if what you want is what legends wants. :)

rilkean panther said:
I have played it. And I am under no illusion like the "we're not tribes" guy. That's why I can't understand his approach. You're a much better liasson. Tell him to stop posting if what you want is what legends wants. :)
Well I dont personally speak for them. But I cant see why they wouldnt listen to offers for help.

They havent released a new build in some time, and having been apart of the project in the past, I am positive they have something behind the scenes that is leaps and bounds above the last release. It may be even closer to a real game than anyone imagines. I dont know I can only speculate. However, I know what is released is a good game now.

What the game needs is money for proper advertising, support, servers, etc. If youre going to ask people to invest money, I dont see a better group to invest in than the guys who have been trying for years to do what we're all talking about doing now.

DipStick said:
They havent released a new build in some time, and having been apart of the project in the past, I am positive they have something behind the scenes that is leaps and bounds above the last release. It may be even closer to a real game than anyone imagines. I dont know I can only speculate. However, I know what is released is a good game now.

What the game needs is money for proper advertising, support, servers, etc. If youre going to ask people to invest money, I dont see a better group to invest in than the guys who have been trying for years to do what we're all talking about doing now.

Like I said, you're argument is appealing. That is, I think you're potentially correct. But the problem is communication. If Legends wants to exploit the opportunity of Marweas's roust-call, for whatever it's worth, they should do so.

I supported this initially but I think I've changed my mind simply because loop doesn't want it to be a tribes successor, when it quite clearly it is more fucking tribes than tribes vengeance. And the sometimes negative attitude I saw/see in the forums about the game and also the slow progress makes me step back from supporting this game. :shrug:

Nutcracker said:
I supported this initially but I think I've changed my mind simply because loop doesn't want it to be a tribes successor, when it quite clearly it is more fucking tribes than tribes vengeance. And the sometimes negative attitude I saw/see in the forums about the game and also the slow progress makes me step back from supporting this game. :shrug:
That is because they develop in their own free time. They arent a full time dev team.

What you guys are talking about is getting money together to hire a dev team to make a new game from scratch.

All you have to do is hire the Legends Dev team to finish the game more quickly, or divert some seasoned experience to the coding part of the team to help them push it out faster.

No matter how Loop describes Legends, it is still tribes. We all know that.

Crap. I have to reply here.
First- we are not developing tribes 3, you know. that's been pointed out time and again.
Second - the game we ARE developing IS heavily influenced by Tribes, and if someone calls us the "spiritual successor" then great. that's a huge compliment.
Third - someone wants to hire us full time to complete this game, you have it. Problem is, you're talking salaries for a dozen people in excess of what we all make right now and enough to start a localized office. Say, at least a million dollars for the first year which would also include hiring some new artists etc - and then you still have the issue of the fact that well.. that money's going down the drain, since we're not going to charge anything for Legends.
Fourth - I don't want legends associated with what Marweas is doing. It's an admirable project, and I hope that it goes well and brings us yet another tribes-like game (now that you have t1, t2. legends, t:v, and the apparently upcoming renegades game as well to choose from).

We need help, yes. We need **good** artists, additional scripters and coders. We have people, but it's never enough talent to go around. Also maps would be good.... (cough cough dipstick get the fuck back to work cough cough)

edit - oh, and rikean panther - as the "we're not tribes guy", i apologize for any bad taste that thought may leave in your mouth. When you have fear of the entire weight of VUG's legal team crashing down on you at any moment, you say things like that. Currently, we're not so freaked out by that though - I think they don't give an actual flying poop about us currently. Besides, Marweas is being a bit higher profile. :)

Last edited:
Nutcracker said:
a million dollars, are you serious?

sure.

You have to remember- you have to make it worthwhile for everyone to leave their current jobs and take a job doing this full time, rent an office, buy all the equipment necessary, hire lawyers, etc etc.

starting a business ain't cheap.

edit- and there has to be enough to convince the people from overseas to move to the states and the people IN the states to move somewhere like... oh, i don't know, Toledo, OH.

Last edited:
I guess it really doesn't matter anyway the Legends team is not intereseted in Marweas's plan. Loop do you guys have someone working on player models and vehicles?

Why do you have to stop your jobs? You are doing it in your spare time for free yes? Why couldn't you do a little more or the same, and get more developers for some extra money. Maybe buy content for the game etc. Sure making games costs money but you won't get 1 mill to make Legends from the tribes community. :shock:

donnykrun - we do have people but we still need more, especially talented artists.

Nutcracker - the whole point was that we're going to continue doing it for free. no way is anyone throwing money at us. :) the situation as it stands means that legends development will be slow but steady.

novanix - 749,999. but i might change my mind about that.

What do we love more Tribes or Money? If your seeing me as an investor to make money your dead wrong none of us are in it for money we just want our dam game to survive

donnykrun said:
What do we love more Tribes or Money? If your seeing me as an investor to make money your dead wrong none of us are in it for money we just want our dam game to survive

huh?

I've found a fix to a fundamental flaw in the game

Ripped from my own good self at bittah. Not sure if this is OFN to anyone, I don't read this part of town very often, but I don't know of anyone having good working recordings, so here you go!

Iriticus said:
That's right, recordings! ;)

Some/most/none of you will have noticed that when you make a demo and rewatch it, you have no hud's, you're stuck in default FoV, when the person you're observing dies you don't instantly review their respawned goodness and so on.

Anyway, recently I observed a TCS Match. On reviewing my recordings ChatHUD updated, my FoV was set, custom hud's displayed! The miracle one in a hundered recording worked!

But it was TWO in a hundered. The second map also worked!
So tonight, during a PUG, I demo'ed each map, dropped out and checked it - recording after recording worked. 5 in a row, over two nights. ZING!

The workaround is quite simple - for some reason, when you begin your recording in regular waiting mode or first person mode, the game shits itself, something doesn't click - this causes 'corrupt' recordings that work half heartedly.

However, if you start your recording from observer, then team yourself - vola! The recording works when you reload it back up. HUD's, crosshairs, FoV!

Basically this will be a return of the ole demo drop - except you don't need to leave the server. Perhaps somebody can script it into a simple one or two button exercise. If not, well at least we have a slightly more then half working feature again :)

Cheers,

-Irit.

One paragraph is edited a bit to make more sense to this different community. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back