[T:V] Post pics of the maps you are working on...

Got Haggis? said:
while that is better than I can do....

those screen shots look ugly as sin. Almost look worse than t2. Need to work on the textures a bit or something.

Why recreate the old maps? Re-make them like someone suggested - what they would have looked like in the past.

Those are screencaps of T1 from the conversion sight Haggis.

bLiSS said:
My comment on this: It will never play like the original, so don't try to make it like the original. Doctor up the buildings, use what the engine can do for you. Add in trees, rocks, water, etc... Put a f'ing fountain on the top of the base if you want. Add potted plants, whatever, but if you're going to do a remake, make it your own. Painting a Campbell's soup can is stupid, but Andy Warhol made it look cool. The same with the old maps. You can make them your own if you're willing to step out on a limb for a bit.

To anyone remaking T1 maps: Just because T1 had bland terrain and buildings, doesn't mean that remade maps need to have bland terrain/buildings. ;)

Nomble said:
Tribes: Vengeance dies when someone makes a Katabatic remake.

Kinda like the way Ferry Corsten killed trance...
Hahahaha too bad only like 10 people would get that joke, but I can still give it a strong 7/10.

How exactly are people using World Machine? I'm guessing y'all are importing bitmaps and just fussing with it to make it more authentic....

I've tried mucking with heightmaps in MAX (make a monster plane, muck with the verticles, then make a white->black gradient, take an orthographic shot from overhead) and Photoshop, but I just don't have much patience :/

Back to the grind........

By the way, Isle is kinda like Katabatic and/or Feign....

T1 Remakes

Use them as INSPIRATION. Don't just make 200 poly ports. It's boring and just inviting folks to whine.

bartkusa said:
How exactly are people using World Machine? I'm guessing y'all are importing bitmaps and just fussing with it to make it more authentic....

id be curious to know if you can import 512x512 textures into it.

if i knew a way to export a heightfield from ued and then crank out alpha maps for texture layers in a nice terraformer-style proggy... i'd be very happy.

Dear Bliss,

I would like to thank you on behalf of the 5 people in this thread that actually knew what you posted. The hilarious comments from unsuspecting posters, even after a couple posts explaining the T1 screens, have made me laugh out loud.

You have created funny, and it has been maintained by the pea-brains of TT

Signed,

Crom

Last edited:
^^^^^

Agreed.

I would like to know if it is possible to import the tribes 1 dts files into TribesED at all, or if it will be possible in the future.

Thrax Panda said:
My comment on this: It will never play like the original, so don't try to make it like the original. Doctor up the buildings, use what the engine can do for you. Add in trees, rocks, water, etc... Put a f'ing fountain on the top of the base if you want. Add potted plants, whatever, but if you're going to do a remake, make it your own. Painting a Campbell's soup can is stupid, but Andy Warhol made it look cool. The same with the old maps. You can make them your own if you're willing to step out on a limb for a bit.

I agree, yet I'm going to have to disagree at the same time. WHile I would LOVE to see Stonehenge the way it was meant to be, with lush trees and grass, I would HATE to have to download 40 differnt versions of the effing map so I could play on pubs without being booted because some nitwit decided he wanted a fountain upsidedown and sideways up his ass in the middle of the desert placed on a remote portion of SH....

:eek:

I'm sure we'll see some direct ports and some variations on t1/t2 maps initially. But I'm fine with that, it'll give people an opportunity to learn the editor and try out their map making skills. I'm sure original map designs won't be far behind, and with the retail release we should have plenty of content to keep us happy as clams. (assuming clams are happy) Everything looks good and I'm excited to see how things develop.

ZenTseTse said:
id be curious to know if you can import 512x512 textures into it.

if i knew a way to export a heightfield from ued and then crank out alpha maps for texture layers in a nice terraformer-style proggy... i'd be very happy.
Have you checked out Tarragen? Lots of WM people use it to render out their landscapes. Not sure if it can do what you'd like, but it's cool so I figured I'd post the link anyway: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

Crom said:
Dear Bliss,

I would like to thank you on behalf of the 5 people in this thread that actually knew what you posted. The hilarious comments from unsuspecting posters, including Thrax, even after a couple posts explaining the T1 screens, have made me laugh out loud.

You have created funny, and it has been maintained by the pea-brains of TT

Signed,

Crom
:) Read my post again Crom. It's a general statement about rebuilding old maps.

I totally agree with the portion of people saying remake maps for inspiration, add your own stuff. That is what I plan on doing... and I think others should do it as well. I wouldn't go as far as to change the core gameplay of some of the maps, but more of a decorative appeal. I'd change just about everything but the terrain... For now though, I'm pretty much going to mimic the map as well as I can. Then start changing things up.

Back