News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest by Colosus - Page 14 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest
Page 14 of 37
Zoolooman
VeteranXV
Old
261 - 06-20-2004, 17:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomstranger
I was under the impression from the readme that the skin had too fit in with all the other skins. i.e. look like the same person did all of them. you know like how the other variants are? same panel lining, similar metal texture, etc..

I could sit here and do a photo realistic skin but would it look right in the game compared to the other skins?
I don't know if they would award it the win, but I do think it would be pretty cool, and I'd download it from the RDB after this contest was over. :]

Sponsored Links
God
Unregistered
Old
262 - 06-20-2004, 17:49
Anyone else having problems with the tga's in photoshop? They're not coming up properly (i.e.: too much transparency, no color, ect.).

Colosus
my pronouns are..
Contributor
Old
263 - 06-20-2004, 17:52
Quote:
Originally Posted by God
Anyone else having problems with the tga's in photoshop? They're not coming up properly (i.e.: too much transparency, no color, ect.).
Read the readme.txt and follow the instructions for the targa.zip

God
Unregistered
Old
264 - 06-20-2004, 17:57
I did. :\

Arcanox
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
265 - 06-20-2004, 18:07
I asked Colosus the same question... He said that a skin that would fit in with the developer created skins would be more likely to win than an ultra photorealisitc skin.

So using things like plate steel and rust or even a skin that has 1000x more detail than an official skin has less chance to win because of the strong contrast to the other ones.

Essentially your goal should be- if a new player had no idea about this contest... he/she would not be able to tell the difference between the two.

Arcanox
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
266 - 06-20-2004, 18:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by God
I did. :\
1. What version of Photoshop are you using?

The fix is version specific

2. Did you do it while photoshop was active

You might want to restart photoshop or retrying applying the plugin if the plugin was active. Keep in mind it goes in your /plugins/fileformats/ folder.

3. How many times did you try it?

I tried it and the next day it reverted to the old format, I had to retry the plugin 2 or 3 times to get it back to normal.

Colosus
my pronouns are..
Contributor
Old
267 - 06-20-2004, 18:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanox
I asked Colosus the same question... He said that a skin that would fit in with the developer created skins would be more likely to win than an ultra photorealisitc skin.

So using things like plate steel and rust or even a skin that has 1000x more detail than an official skin has less chance to win because of the strong contrast to the other ones.

Essentially your goal should be- if a new player had no idea about this contest... he/she would not be able to tell the difference between the two.
I did?

dunce_boy
VeteranXV
Old
268 - 06-20-2004, 19:23
Quote:

that would be one gay contest than.

LazarusCrusader
VeteranX
Old
269 - 06-20-2004, 19:34
How about a contest for new weapon reticles? That would be pretty cool since I always build custom ones anyways!

Arcanox
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
270 - 06-20-2004, 19:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colosus
I did?
No it must have been your evil twin-

Mr Selfdestruct: What would you say I should be aiming for more- Making an original, unique skin, or making one that fits into the thematic set and visual look of the game?
1900882: Latter
Mr Selfdestruct: So one that'll fit in properly... So nothing like grey steel or introducing your own logos, right?
1900882: Right
1900882: You can introduce logos, etc, but that probably won't win
1900882: Unless the logos fit the CotP design
Session Close (1900882): Sun Jun 20 13:54:58 2004

Did you mean something else by the latter?

Arcanox
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
271 - 06-20-2004, 19:59
Also, I'm going to post my latest piece-o-work. I realise that it's a bit of a recolor, but at least its a half decent recolor. I'll start reskinning the legs tommorow, but overall the black/yellow theme is there to stay-

Mooley
VeteranXX
Old
272 - 06-20-2004, 20:13
To much black.

Try a touch of gray?

Vicelord
VeteranX
Old
273 - 06-20-2004, 20:39
the vizor thing doesn't fit imo

as for the rest, nice job

boschetaru
VeteranX
Old
274 - 06-20-2004, 20:54
agreed on the visor thingy, but <3 the rest

Egonomics
VeteranX
Old
275 - 06-20-2004, 21:21
I like the visor, though it could be thinned a bit.

Colosus
my pronouns are..
Contributor
Old
276 - 06-20-2004, 22:11
Quote:
No it must have been your evil twin-

Mr Selfdestruct: What would you say I should be aiming for more- Making an original, unique skin, or making one that fits into the thematic set and visual look of the game?
1900882: Latter
Mr Selfdestruct: So one that'll fit in properly... So nothing like grey steel or introducing your own logos, right?
1900882: Right
1900882: You can introduce logos, etc, but that probably won't win
1900882: Unless the logos fit the CotP design
Session Close (1900882): Sun Jun 20 13:54:58 2004

Did you mean something else by the latter?
I was thinking in general terms. You never mentioned photo realism. By general theme of the game, I mean don't make a barney skin if you expect to win. Stick with "diesel powered scifi". But I will reiterate, these are my OPINIONS. I don't have final say, so make your best skin, submit it and give it a shot.

Where I was talking about logos, I was thinking more along the lines of... Don't do a DS logo. But do like a special forces logo that fits the theme of CotP. Semantics and confusing text. I apologize.

Mr_Unlucky
VeteranX
Old
277 - 06-20-2004, 23:21
Quote:
Also, I'm going to post my latest piece-o-work. I realise that it's a bit of a recolor, but at least its a half decent recolor. I'll start reskinning the legs tommorow, but overall the black/yellow theme is there to stay-

That looks nice....i wish the default cotp skin looked like that

Mooley
VeteranXX
Old
278 - 06-21-2004, 00:16
My mistake. The monitor i was viewing that skin with was way dark. On a good monitor now. The skin looks tight man.

SarcaStick
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
279 - 06-21-2004, 01:32
rubber band man wild as the taliban
9 in my right, 45 in my other hand

Fatman
VeteranXX
Old
280 - 06-21-2004, 01:32
man this is taking forever for me. Luckily we have till the 19th. almost done with the head. I'll post it once i figure out the normal map.

Page 14 of 37

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page News: Tribes: Vengeance Skinning Contest

Social Website Bullshit