Thrax: Where's the masses? by Wulfen - Page 8 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Thrax: Where's the masses?
Page 8 of 23
NextGen
VeteranXV
Old
141 - 02-27-2005, 16:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by [AKA]PanamaJack
I am surprised no one has even tried to do this as I saw it months ago and do it manually, kind of like how people did skiing in T1 before scripts came out to automate it.
Um, because Client-Side scripting doesnt exist in T:V?

Sponsored Links
[AKA]PanamaJack
VeteranX
Old
142 - 02-27-2005, 16:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedDread
T2 killed the franchise. T:V could have been the best game ever created and it still would have flopped. Nostradumbass should have known this but he was too busy mastering the command station when his flag got taken.
T2 actually improved the franchise. More players and more name recognition. T1 wasn't really promoting the game other than through the fact it was easy to warez. T2 sold more copies and had more people playing at any one time than any other Tribes game. That sure isn't killing a franchise.

T:V dfefinately killed the franchise and you can talk to anyone that has played the demo and didn't buy the game to find that out. T:V COULD have been a great thing if they hadn't of been so damned stupid in how they designed the incredably boring and uninspired gameplay.

[AKA]PanamaJack
VeteranX
Old
143 - 02-27-2005, 16:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGenConsoler
Um, because Client-Side scripting doesnt exist in T:V?
If you don't think that could be automated clientside then you haven't been looking into how to Unreal Script that much.

TheRedDread
Unregistered
Old
144 - 02-27-2005, 16:32
The reason T2 sold so well is because of hype, not because of the product. Games sell well because of prerelease hype and there are many examples of great games with fantastic gameplay that never sold well. The reverse is also true, as you can kill any software product cycle with bad press as T2 did. These are the basics of running a software company that releases sequels to products. The same is true for all forms of entertainment products including movies, DVDs, etc.

[AKA]PanamaJack
VeteranX
Old
145 - 02-27-2005, 16:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedDread
The reason T2 sold so well is because of hype, not because of the product. Games sell well because of prerelease hype and there are many examples of great games with fantastic gameplay that never sold well. The reverse is also true, as you can kill any software product cycle with bad press as T2 did. These are the basics of running a software company that releases sequels to products. The same is true for all forms of entertainment products including movies, DVDs, etc.

But what you are forgetting is that T2 had some of the HIGHEST online player numbers of any other game except for Half-Life at the time for many, many, MANY months. If T2 was as bad as you say then it would have dropped into the dumper as fast as T:V has or faster. During that time T2 had 2-3 servers with around 90 players on each one. If the game sucked as you say then that would NEVER have happened. Those 128 player servers only went away because of the anti-cheat patch that came out. That patch almost DOUBLED the amount of bandwidth servers used.

The vast majority of people who played T2 liked how it was right out of the box. The only people who have EVER called T2 a failure are the T1 vets that didn't like the game.

Aesop-The evil one
VeteranX
Old
146 - 02-27-2005, 16:51
Get off the worn out soapbox PJ. T2 sold an incredible amount of games because everyone thought it was a Tribes 1 sequel. Massive sales but only 1%-3% played it after the first month. It had more bugs than my wind shield. This equated to approximatly 2000 to 3000 daily players. Impressive compared to T:V daily numbers, but a complete failure for a 100% multi player game. If T2 was so great, hundreds of thousands of gamers would have bought T:V. MOST people don't bother with demos. I needed no demo for HL2 or DOOM3 or Unreal. Those games stood on their own, admit it. T2 killed the series, T:V could not resurrect it.

I still like it though. It is fun.

[AKA]PanamaJack
VeteranX
Old
147 - 02-27-2005, 17:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop-The evil one
Get off the worn out soapbox PJ. T2 sold an incredible amount of games because everyone thought it was a Tribes 1 sequel. Massive sales but only 1%-3% played it after the first month. It had more bugs than my wind shield. This equated to approximatly 2000 to 3000 daily players. Impressive compared to T:V daily numbers, but a complete failure for a 100% multi player game. If T2 was so great, hundreds of thousands of gamers would have bought T:V. MOST people don't bother with demos. I needed no demo for HL2 or DOOM3 or Unreal. Those games stood on their own, admit it. T2 killed the series, T:V could not resurrect it.

I still like it though. It is fun.
You are definately showing your ignorance of online games. Other than Half-Life most online games at that time were looking at around 4000 players online at their peak during the day even if they sold hundreds of thousands of copies. In otherwords T2 was right up there with every other top selling MP FPS game in terms of people online compared to people who purchased the game.

But since you cannot grasp this concept you will never understand that T2 was as much of a success as any other top selling FPS game at the time with the exception of Half-Life. T2 brought LIFE back to the series but will wear blindfolds and ignore the reality of the situation to try and make your perception correct.

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
148 - 02-27-2005, 17:23
PJ, if it was such a GLORIOUS sequal that boosted the franchise. Then why did T1 players hate it? Why did they all quit playing? 16 man teams are ridiculous to have to handle.

The bugs were disgusting. The Splash damage on the disc wasn't even right until like 4 or 5 months into the game. Not to mention it took a BEAST computer to run it.

The heated competition that lasted years upon years in T1 died out shortly. The T1 teams couldn't field 16 players, and they didn't really want to try either because they didn't like the game. And that was WITH The Red Dread fronting cash for the 1st place winner.

The T1 fans hated T2. How can you say it improved the franchise?

The heart of the game, skiing, was ripped out. This is an improvement? If it is then why did people make classic to bring back the speed.

You're so wrong man, I'm sorry. Listen to the red dread.

Aesop-The evil one
VeteranX
Old
149 - 02-27-2005, 17:26
PJ, you are out of your mind. The original Half Life alone STILL whips ass on all three Tribes games put together. By THOUSANDS to one. Remove those few playing T:V and the numbers are even more dismal. Within 6 months after release, T2 was commanding 800 to 1200 per day. Impressive only compared to T:V. T2 killed the series.

Half Life had Team fortress, there was no CS at the time. It was a MOD to come. When you spout how "ignorant" someone is you had best look in the mirror. That player base actually INCREASED. While T2 steadily DECREASED. T2 killed the series.

Those "128" man servers were complete lag fests and lasted only a few months. They were unplayable for the most part. T2C was an attempt to breath new life into the game. I applaude those who tried to save the series.

But you slap T1 vets in the face, trash those who like to play T:V, and falsely prop up T2 as some kind of saving grace. Sorry pal, we all played the same game, and pinged the same servers. You are no Tribes Savant.

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
150 - 02-27-2005, 17:26
You seem to like to argue that numbers of players are all that matters.

Well if that's the case, then they could have made Tribes into a Battlefield 1942 game to get more players, thus "improving the franchise" in your mind.

Titan Slanger
VeteranXV
Old
151 - 02-27-2005, 17:30
I can sympathize with people who like T:V, and are disappointed with things after it's release.

What I find silly is when they try to rewrite the history of T2's success. While it's true that not everyone liked T2, it's a FACT that thousands of players played it daily for months.

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
152 - 02-27-2005, 17:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Slanger
While it's true that not everyone liked T2, it's a FACT that thousands of players played it daily for months.
So?

Aesop-The evil one
VeteranX
Old
153 - 02-27-2005, 17:47
I think what he is saying is that if T2 had the same excellent reputation that T1 had, T:V would have sold hundreds of thousands of copies. Then if a only few thousand played the game, it would then be a "success".

Unfortunatly, T2 was the Chevy Vega. It soiled the Tribes name.

americanjoe
VeteranX
Old
154 - 02-27-2005, 17:51
Quote:
PJ, you are out of your mind. The original Half Life alone STILL whips ass on all three Tribes games put together. By THOUSANDS to one. Remove those few playing T:V and the numbers are even more dismal. Within 6 months after release, T2 was commanding 800 to 1200 per day. Impressive only compared to T:V. T2 killed the series.
bull**** ... i remember being able to jump on several hundred server at peek times that were full (32+). I myself have 50 servers on my favs list and all were always packed. It wasn't until the later patches and classic that I was unable to find a good playing server with base or ++ on it ... T2 did not kill the franchise ... Classic built the coffin .. and T:V hammered in the nails ...

NeoLotus
VeteranX
Old
155 - 02-27-2005, 18:04
only few servers i ever got good ping on where only playing kata and everyone kept voting another 60 mins to the timelimit all the time.
kind of killed it for me =/

Aesop-The evil one
VeteranX
Old
156 - 02-27-2005, 18:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanjoe
bull**** ... i remember being able to jump on several hundred server at peek times that were full (32+). I myself have 50 servers on my favs list and all were always packed. It wasn't until the later patches and classic that I was unable to find a good playing server with base or ++ on it ... T2 did not kill the franchise ... Classic built the coffin .. and T:V hammered in the nails ...
Bull****. We all pinged the same servers. Several hundred packed 32 man servers? LOL! Not quite. The 128 man servers fell apart after several months. Period. AND they were complete lag fests.

Rockstar Psy
VeteranXV
Old
157 - 02-27-2005, 18:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanjoe
bingo.

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
158 - 02-27-2005, 18:22
You people arguing player counts are missing the point entirely.

americanjoe
VeteranX
Old
159 - 02-27-2005, 18:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pumpkin King
You people arguing player counts are missing the point entirely.
I understand your point and the points of everyone who said "t2 killed tribes because it wasn't a true t1 sequel", what I don't understand is how you can deny the fact that T2 's player count was higher than T1, and still call it the death of tribes ... that I don’t get. The only people i see that state this, are players that didn't enjoy t2 ... much like I state that T:V is a POS because I don’t like T:V .. but what separates the differences .. is all the support and facts that go along with saying T:V is a POS. Lower player count, boring un-inspired gameplay, lack of depth, no real competition aspect .. on and on ... I just don’t see how anyone can say that T2 killed Tribes, with the backing T2 had and the player count T2 had. The support only died because Sierra shut down Dynamix, the player count only died after 3 years of high numbers and a final patch with a final game type that split the masses and alienated ½ the community base. Again after 3 years .. not 3 months like T:V has. T:V Killed the Tribes Franchise ... plane and simple

americanjoe
VeteranX
Old
160 - 02-27-2005, 18:38
Quote:
Bull****. We all pinged the same servers. Several hundred packed 32 man servers? LOL! Not quite. The 128 man servers fell apart after several months. Period. AND they were complete lag fests.
don't try to make up **** just to try and get your point across ... there are several players in the here and now that can say that T2's servers were abundant and full at peek times with 1500+ players playing around 500+ servers world wide. your talking out your ass to try and look smart ....

Page 8 of 23

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Thrax: Where's the masses?

Social Website Bullshit