Is it too late to get into this game?

ah1275

Veteran-4
Will I still have fun or will I be too far behind?

I'm enjoying WAR, but want less carebear and more killing. I loved building cool mechs in all the mech games-are there any elements of that?

I'm guessing you're referring to PVE as carebear, and in that case you're in the wrong genre. All MMORPGs have to have some sort of PVE aspect, that precedes the PVP aspect, just to keep people playing and incorporate some timesink mechanics into it.

I'm not currently playing EVE, but it always struck me as the type of game where it CAN be *too late* to get started in it, because of the way skilling up relies on RL time - so there will ALWAYS be people way ahead of you just by virtue of time.

Having people ahead of you as far as training goes is irrelevant. The fact is, you can only fly one ship at a time. Create your character right, and you can be a contributing member of a fleet in weeks. It's just a matter of focusing skill training on a goal (one ship) and once you rock at that one thing, you move on to the next.

every skill goes from level 0-5

saying you will never catch up to someone in eve is like saying you will never catch up to a lvl40 in warhammer

far too late

every goddamn faggot and their mothers fly capital ships and have all level 5 skills to everything

I started almost a year ago and my character still sucks

I downloaded the two week trial so will play that and see where it takes me. Any other games like this coming up on the horizon?

First thing you should train for is Interceptors. No matter what race you start as, train Minmatar Frigates and get yourself a Rifter, train to use Microwarp Drives and Warp Jammers, then continue training Interceptors as normal.

Oddly enough, once you can fly an actual Interceptor you'll probably want to train ANYTHING BUT a Minmatar Interceptor, but that's up to you. Personally I prefer the Crow (Caldari) but if you decide to start as a different race, say Amarr, go with an Amarr Inty since you'll start out with the proper weapon skills already. Once you can fly an Interceptor you'll be a productive member of the fleet and can begin specializing in whatever ship class you think you'll like.

On the side you'll want to get basic training in a battleship (takes less time than you'd think) for large fleet fights, but even frigates can contribute to a fleet fight, you just have less survivability.

It's never too late to get into this game, there's so many different ships, skills and modules that nobody can use them all, and as the above posters have already stated you can only fly 1 ship at a time anyways, so being well trained in the ship you're flying is more important than how many different ships you can fly.

Last edited:
As many have said, train for a goal and you'll attain it in 1-2 months. You'll be able to fly alot of the cool ships within a few months and be near parity with 5 year players on alot of craft.

The thing that cuda says is true, you're years from hopping into the 'big' ships, but those ships are soo redickulously expensive and generally un-fun to fly (too expensive, need TONS LOTS HUGE amount of support--just to move even--that you shouldnt worry about flying them)

The thing about EVE is this: training is done realtime, 24/7 via a clock-like expirence system. The levels go from 0-5. To use most advanced 'items' (modules, ingame) all you need is level 4 in the skill. Skills have 'ranks' attributed to them, the higher the rank (17 is the highest I think) the longer the training process. With OK skills, a rank 1 skills takes a mere 16min to train to level 1, hour or so for 2, around 6+ for 3, less then a day for 4.

Its the level 5 thats what sets you apart from the ancient players and yourself. Level 5 for that rank 1 would take around 4 days...longer then the first 4 combined. That ratio only gets worse the higher the ranks go.

Its these level 5 skills that form the VAST BULK of older players SP (skill points).

As an example, Im aprrox 3.5 years old ingame and have almost 50mill SP @ 183 individual skills learned. Of those 183 skills I have (you have to buy the skills, then train them) 57 of those skills are at level 5. Just training level 5, a single level of training on only a third of my skills, comprises 70% or so of my total SP.

Those level 5 trains only give me about 5% advantage over a level 4 pilot in the same skill. That's it. Years more of training and I only have a couple stats that net me 5% more damage or whatever.

That said, some advanced ships and weapons require lvl5 in some skills, but alot of that training can be had in about 5 months, something thats near parity with other endgames in otehr MMO's. All the while though, you're not grinding exp, but cash and fighting against a real enemy...normally somewhere in Europe. (Fuck bulgarians btw)

So eya, sign up.

I, for one, have one of those "huge" capital ships, and I wish I didn't. But Virge gave it to me and I feel I should use it as much as I can.

far too late

every goddamn faggot and their mothers fly capital ships and have all level 5 skills to everything

I started almost a year ago and my character still sucks

Yet he still routinely gets more kills than all of us. :lol:

The thing that cuda says is true,

Lies. I did not post in this thread.

Blindly listen to the guys that have been playing for a while. The game sucks at first but if you listen and train towards the goal they give you, you'll have fun. PVP as soon as you can and you'll get hooked.

Also, rifter > *. I still believe it is a tech 1.5 ship.

no, not a spy. I remember watching demos from IE Natural and 5150 TheRedDread. I also once PMed [POE]cancer for tips on how to be a better HoF.

I had been pretty consigned to the idea that I wouldn't enjoy this game, but you guys seem pretty sure I will. Going to go make a new character that isn't trained for mining, not sure why I decided to go that route.

I'll let you guys know when I get some decent skill points under my belt and maybe someone will invite me into their group.

they're fanboys

I hate to sound so pessimistic but there's so much more to do than just "specializing in one ship". Its a fucking grind just like every other mmo. Every one of you that are giving advice have a wayyy old characters with nothing left to train but specialization skills and caps or cross training other races. Yes, I realize you've gone through being a newb and yes it was worse in your days since you didn't start off with this and that and blah blah. That still doesn't take the grind away. Nowadays, being a newb consists of tagging along watching the people with cool ships kill stuff until you finish off the basics of everything and can move on.

You need your money maker aka Ratting/missions BS + support skills
fitting skills + learning skills + all sorts of essential things that bring no satisfaction since they don't enable you to fly anything new or use cooler/better things.

so if you're okay with being stuck in a rifter -> interceptor for a long assed time... Fine, yeah PVP is awesome but the whole "useful to a fleet in weeks", I don't buy it unless you change the wording to "less useless to a fleet in weeks".

As you can see by my emo ranting, eve has never been my perfect cup of tea gameplay wise. Its who you get stuck with that makes the difference. Many people have compared eve to a very pretty and complicated chat room and yeah they're right but that ain't a bad thing . The only reason I, personally, have stuck around long enough to fly a T2 ship is because:
A. FREEE has cool dudes (the moment FREEE dies, I quit eve)
B. we were in an active alliance and had roaming ops with fucking douche bag degenerates like me almost every night (xaz ops!!! when he came back for a short while not long ago, i funded like 5 of his hurricanes in an attempt to get him back to FC'ing.)
C. I had way too much time on my hands (not anymore)

/me spins ship in station reading corp chat thinking of new ways to bash on krakien

Last edited:
this game blows since they took away training going on while accounts were inactive

used to be youd play for a month or two training little knick knack skills that made you better then let your account lapse when something important came up in real life for a while and tag bs5 or some shit to train and come back to having a level 5 skill all done for you at no cost really since you wouldnt have been playing the game during that time anyways

now you have to constantly pay for this game that is, lets be honest, only fun in doses of about 5-6 hours a week

but those 5-6 hours are pretty fun usually especially if you go out and smash nigs

As an example, Im aprrox 3.5 years old ingame and have almost 50mill SP @ 183 individual skills learned. Of those 183 skills I have (you have to buy the skills, then train them) 57 of those skills are at level 5. Just training level 5, a single level of training on only a third of my skills, comprises 70% or so of my total SP.

N00B :brows:

Spot on here though, I'm 4 years old now and am just training lv5 this and lv5 that..... I have just done Heavy assault ships to Lv 5 and Medium Autocannon Specailisation to Lv 5 and that took like 2 months and a bit to do. just for $5 here and 5% there bonus in fighting... In those two months a new player could have learned to fly 12 new ships easy.

However in 1v1.. I should own you!
but as part of a fleet.. You fly the crappest frigate and scramble me and someone else kills me.. All of a sudden my extra 5% means shit!

Play. join a gang.. Its fun!

Bigsmak

Back