Midair Alpha Launching 26th March

As crazy as dare was the guy lived and breathed tribes let's be honest

He gave the game a legit try and even tried to promote it and he even realized the game sucked balls due to proj and tards

I trust dare on this more than havax

why am i not surprised that a forum filled with people who have fallen for an incredibly transparent propaganda campaign are as equally clueless about game development

kestrel, famous for his game dev skills, everyone remembers that game he made, right?

or was it a mod... or a plugin... or a config?

a script?

even pepperidge farms cant remember

I still never got an answer in this thread what all the pussyhurt is about
just because some t2/ta players were invited to alpha test for free over some t1 vets?

what's the status on base laughing stork? I viewed a bunch of streams on twitch but all I see are lt and with maps that look pretty dreary and untextured. it's hard to judge the gameplay without playing it myself, but it looks lightyears better than ta

I still never got an answer in this thread what all the pussyhurt is about
just because some t2/ta players were invited to alpha test for free over some t1 vets?

what's the status on base laughing stork? I viewed a bunch of streams on twitch but all I see are lt and with maps that look pretty dreary and untextured. it's hard to judge the gameplay without playing it myself, but it looks lightyears better than ta

The game will be much closer to the older tribes than ascend was. How balanced and how fun base will be remains to be seen. I think base will see a lot of changes once closed beta and early access hit. Prob the most important time for the future of the game tbh.

Archetype studios took a variety of players from core fps z games to help test the game....T1, T2, T:A, Legions ( not sure about T:V). Midair has scratched my T1 playing itch and I have enjoyed it.Am I as good of a dueler as I was in T1...no not close. Is it because of some easier game mechanics? Yes... I played T1 the other day and could not ski without cratering now...honestly though with today's market that has attention deficit disorder when it comes to games, and the sheer volume of games....we will never have something like T1

so with about two weeks before closed beta, midair devs decided to push closed beta access back a month+ to coincide with steam early access "so more people would play together at once"

Release Schedule and Pricing Updates Midair

boned :(
Hi Ixiterra - I think you got the dates mixed up. The latest Closed Beta release date was late July (probably the last week). We pushed that back to Mid-August. It's just 2-3 weeks extra not a month+. Sorry for the inconvenience either way. Good news is we're adjusting by weeks and months, not years as is often the case with Kickstarter games.

so basically a bunch of games that were never successful and will never be successful gee I wonder what will come of this latest iteration designed by fat neckbeards

Hi Ixiterra - I think you got the dates mixed up. The latest Closed Beta release date was late July (probably the last week). We pushed that back to Mid-August. It's just 2-3 weeks extra not a month+. Sorry for the inconvenience either way. Good news is we're adjusting by weeks and months, not years as is often the case with Kickstarter games.

whoops I did, was thinking it was originally mid-july and moved to late august. Hurry up I plan on building a new computer for this game. I'm working with a pos that is like 7 years old with a 4 or 5 year old video card at this point ;)

pagy said:
so basically a bunch of games that were never successful and will never be successful gee I wonder what will come of this latest iteration designed by fat neckbeards

hopefully something that is reasonably successful and faithful to the tribes franchise? I know we've been boned many times now, but it doesn't hurt to have low but slightly positive expectations

lol wrong

they had no obligation to provide you or anyone else with early access to the game for cheap or for major money

the only jews are the ones that claim to love tribes but couldn't spend the money equal to about 4 hours of work at your job to support their kickstarter.

how the fuck can you feel cheated because you didn't get instant access a year ago for 20 bucks?

stupid.

wow total shill post havax gg

i think midair (as with most tribes successors) misses capturing the difficulty curve of the first tribes game that got most of us addicted in the first tribes game. the game was so hard to pick up initially that it attracted a very specific type of gamer that was drawn to the challenge, and drove away the rest. the same generation that grew up playing incredibly difficult NES games with unforgiving permadeath mechanics. the gamer thats drawn to games like super meat boy or rocket league - the kind of game that isn't afraid to put your head on a stick a hundred times in a row, but can be tamed and even mastered.

but instead, midair (like other tribes successors) decided to modernize the most difficult and iconic thing about tribes, and lowered the depth of the movement mechanic. sure tribes has minor aim skill and simple timing between teammates, but it's all trivial and uninteresting unless you're trying to do it all while hopping on one foot with one eye closed and a hand tied behind your back. what's hard about shooting at players moving in parabolic arches throughout the sky with no cover? what's difficult about timing attacks with 30 seconds of setup? how can this compete with the twitchy mechanical ability required by games like cs or quake? how can this compete with the pixel by pixel millisecond teamwork demanded by games like league or dota? why pretend that tribes is about the things that it's weakest at, instead of focusing on its strength, the skiing? why don't developers double down on the skiing mechanic and make it even more rewarding?

here's a terribly biased hypothetical scenario - suppose a group of friends got together to invent "unicycle polo", where people play polo while riding on a unicycle. initially, the game is impossible and nobody can even stay on the unicycle for more than 5 seconds, goals are almost never scored. as months pass, most people quit, but some keep at it, and those that stick with it eventually get the hang of it after a few months and fall in love with it. later than that, someone new joins and decides that the unicycles are too difficult and adds training wheels and calls it "unicycle polo 2.0".

this new version of "unicycle polo" attracts more people since it's way more approachable, and unicycle polo 2.0 has twice as many players as before! the game is faster since balancing isn't an issue, and players are able to aim better and do things that the first players couldn't even have dreamed of! the old generation mutters their discontent, but the new 2.0 players reassure them that the spirit of the game is still there - you've got teamwork, you've got polo, you've got a unicycle. but the first group of players - the ones that stuck it out - can't put their finger on why it doesn't feel quite the same and most of them walk away. well, who's right?

...maybe both? i think part of the difficulty of making a "modern tribes" is just that tribes as a series had so many different generations which each fell in love with something else. maybe some people liked the freedom of exploration going to the edges of the earth looking for easter eggs, while others liked the teamwork and coordination, maybe others liked the large scale war simulation and strategy with refined roles. some people liked the quake e-sporty aspect of the game, the others fell in love with the moddability and openness of it all. some people wanted to compete, others wanted to play goofy ass mods all day and smoke a joint unwind after work. maybe that's the real magic of the first game - that it was able to fulfill so many buckets for so many demographics of gamers.

in any case, my opinion is that just became some people fell in love with the original unicycle polo and some fell in love with unicycle polo 2.0 doesn't mean that any group is any more right than the other, regardless of which one came first or which one attracts more players. it just shouldn't come as a surprise to find out that most unicycle polo 1.0 players aren't that interested to play the version with training wheels, no matter how much the 2.0 players insist that they should.

if i read this page right dare cares much about tribes so instead we should just give him money

Back