Cutting the cord - Options for moving away from cable tv

Roku way nicer and Roku app is sick let's you listen private with headphones and control from phone

Interface is nice too

Setup and run your own Plex server if your time is worthless and you enjoying spending hours administrating and managing content that could otherwise be had with little hardware and no effort.

Money or time. Which do you choose?

firestick seems like its a bit too slow for lots of apps...i havent tried MrMC (the Kodi app for fire stick/tv), but navigating the plex app, playstation Vue, etc is extremely frustrating on the fire stick
i'd get a beefier option like the Roku or Fire TV. I have not tried Roku before, so I don't know which one to recommend but it seems like Roku is the way to go if you don't have a Prime account or if you want an app-centric device. Personally, I like how Amazon is content centric so you can easily find the shows you want, and then choose which app/service to watch them through (Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime, etc)

well i do have prime. i could put kodi on xbox 1 but it would be like trying to build it on the steam link. only reason i wanted the firestick is cause its cheaper

I am using Sonarr/Kodi mix. I'm trying to convince wife to cut the cable..she is a Bravo junkie and I showed her the Kodi plugin for Bravo is better than Charter's commercial infested runs.

I have a chromecast, firestick, a kodi box, and two HD antennas

my work pays for my internet so we just have the highest speed package on that

at the rate these cable prices are going im surprised people even bother buying it. ATT forces you to get their tv just so you can have unlimited data. Im fixing to drop about 90% of my ATT stuff and just root a firestick or something and max internet speed.

get a raspberry pi and install OpenELEC (kodi) on it. link it up to your NAS to with all your media and you are set

brutal there has been pushback against kodi in this thread

got plex installed tonight on my pc and all the movies play through my android tv remote to chromecast flawlessly so far. pretty impressed actually for only $5 for the android app. will keep testing, i'm sure i'll run into format issues as others have already mentioned here

vizio p-series built in 4k/hdr chromecast is the other star currently

how much meta data do you think plex is sucking down on people?

same with all these other "smart TV's" and media streaming devices that coincidentally require an internet connection to stream local media.

brutal there has been pushback against kodi in this thread

got plex installed tonight on my pc and all the movies play through my android tv remote to chromecast flawlessly so far. pretty impressed actually for only $5 for the android app. will keep testing, i'm sure i'll run into format issues as others have already mentioned here

vizio p-series built in 4k/hdr chromecast is the other star currently

Again... you shouldn't run into any format issues, and if you do, it's not on the chromecasts issue, it's the server.

the server SHOULD be setup to transcode for the playout device.

how much meta data do you think plex is sucking down on people?

same with all these other "smart TV's" and media streaming devices that coincidentally require an internet connection to stream local media.

Plex doesn't need an internet connection to work... unless you're a fucktard... Ours works just fine when Charter is deciding to be Charter.

Set it up correctly, don't be a moron.

Reactions: def
and that's the default configuration, making it clear that dangerdoggie has 0 experience with setting up plex

Diggin' my Tivo OTA (Refub +Lifetime Service) I got for $199 during Black Friday. OnePass functionality is pretty great for recording future shows + bringing in shows from the streaming services right to one place.

My bill just went up to $280 a month. It's fucking ridiculous.

Tell them your canceling they will lower and if they don't actually cancel and get sling or any other alt offered in this thread this isn't 2005 bro

Yea I know, I just don't keep track of when the contract expires so the increased bill is aways wtf. Probably just switch to an internet only package.

I ordered a firetv + HDTV antenna so I can try PS Vue on it before the 7 day trial ends & decide the fate of my comcast cable. Roku was going to take too long to deliver, but I plan on testing out the two platforms soon.

/diary

How long before they start skull fucking us on internet only service price??? data caps and over data fees etc to cover their losses due to cord cutting.

for all you cunts using chromecast:

do you have issues with it resetting your network adapters, routers, or WAN?
my desktop and my phone both tend to drop signal from the internet (via wifi) every 15-30 minutes and during this time my network scan picks up the chromecast. outages usually last a few minutes before the wifi stops picking it up and my connection works again

its not dropping the connection to the router, though. its only the router dropping the connection from the WAN.

i would have thrown that piece of shit away ages ago but unfortunately its not mine :/

edit: clarity

Last edited:
Back