[OFFICIAL] ALT LEVELING HAPPINESS POLL

Shopper47

Veteran X
After reading various responses here and in various forums; leveling a million random alts and also being bored at work, I have decided to create (with your help) the ALT LEVELING HAPPINESS INDEX (ALHI) based on basically a poll we're creating and working on today!

I figured each class should have the following questions answered (out of 10, with 1 being Feannag Shitty and 10 being The Ghost BJ Ray got in Ghostbusters):

Survivability Solo (SOLO) : 1-10

Aoe-capable (AOE): 1-10

Elite-Capable (ELT): 1-10

Leveling Speed(LEV): 1-10

Fun Leveling(FUN): 1-10

Tips: Just where you write things like "Feral to 80, just stack str/stam and insta-queue as a tank", "Disc to 20, Shadow to 80" etc

And lastly a non-score-related question:

What level does this class stop sucking and become decent (SUCK) : 1-80

Take your numbers and add them for a total / 50 (ignoring SUCK).

So then, here is your Template:

Druid:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Death Knight:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Mage:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Warlock:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Paladin:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Rogue:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Warrior:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Priest:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Shaman:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Hunter:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

I'll update this post with the averages and helpful tips as we collect data. Take a few mins and contribute!

EDIT 09/30/10

wowaltsept30.jpg

Last edited:
Druid: Only made it to 40

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Death Knight:

SOLO: 9
AOE: 9
ELT: 7
LEV: 8
FUN: 8
SUCK: 60 (Death and Decay makes AOE so much easier)
Tips: I loved leveling UH, but all 3 specs work well. DW Frost is the most gear dependent.
--------

Mage:

SOLO: 4 (gets better as you progress)
AOE: 8
ELT: 5
LEV: 7 (starts at 1, ends up at 8-9 once u hit mid 50s)
FUN: 5
SUCK: 60 (+sp gear really starts to kick in, better talents available)
Tips: I leveled frost the whole way. Mages are fucking BORING until at leas mid 40s.
--------

Warlock: Only to 40 :(

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Paladin: Only to 74 :(

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Rogue:

SOLO: 10
AOE: 5
FUN: 9
SUCK: I would say 30. At that point you have CS and KS and are invincible.
Tips: I personally level combat. Blade Flurry + evis + s/d + Adren Rush = many dead dudes.
--------

Warrior: Only to 71

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Priest: Only to 52

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Shaman:

AOE: 6
ELT: 9
FUN: 8
SUCK: 30... Windfury
Tips: I personally leveled Enhance and I solo'd everything.
--------

Hunter: Only to 71

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

I can't really answer this since the only character I actually leveled 1-80 was my rogue, and that was all on release-day patches.

Everything else I've only done 60-70 or 70-80.

You must really suck at mage if you rate soloing a 4. A snare right away, food, glyph of evocation.

Mage solo is easily a 10.

You must really suck at mage if you rate soloing a 4. A snare right away, food, glyph of evocation.

Mage solo is easily a 10.

Yeah but early on you die in like 3 hits, if you gain aggro or run OOM you die. Compared to say a rogue or a druid mage isn't as easy.

BUT, that's why everyone inputs data to help rationalize the numbers. If we had 20 people do it, you'd start to get a much better view of everything than just 1 or 2.

I mean we all love crunching numbers and seeing results on things like this; that's a big part of wow in general. This is just a fun little side project I thought of.

Raid doesn't apply to leveling

Normally yeah, but now there's several methods to leveling which people can choose to do. Some people do it "old-school" and run around and do quests and kill shit (which is probably what you mean) but others will simply sit in a city and grind on RDF and some still grind solely on BGs and PvP. So JM5K may want to factor that in or just slap the old-school label on leveling for his little data project.

Druid: 80 feral

SOLO: 8
AOE: 6 Bear+Swipe
ELT: 9 Bear Form
LEV: 7
FUN: 7
SUCK: whenever you get mangle
Tips:
--------

Death Knight: 80 blood tank

SOLO: 6
AOE: 7
LEV: 5
FUN: 6
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Mage: 80 arcane(1)ice(2)

SOLO: 5
ELT: 3 (if it's snarable 8)
SUCK: whenever you get new food
Tips:
--------

Warlock: 80 demo

ELT: 8
SUCK: 41
Tips:
--------

Paladin: 80 tankadin/healadin/(shockadin for leveling)

AOE: 8
ELT: 9
SUCK:
Tips: shockadin is(was) the way to level
--------

Rogue: 74?75
I don't like my rogue and would just rather play my druid with a few less tricks
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Warrior: 80 arms

FUN: 8 if you pvp bgs along the way
SUCK: never
Tips:
--------

Priest: 48 shadow
on my old server (Bleeding Hollow), could never get into it

AOE: 2
ELT: 2
LEV: 4
FUN: 4
SUCK: never
Tips: go holy and heal groups
--------

Shaman: 80 enhc/resto

ELT: 6
LEV: 6
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Hunter: 80 beast

AOE: 7
ELT: 10
LEV: 10
FUN: 2
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

After reading various responses here and in various forums; leveling a million random alts and also being bored at work, I have decided to create (with your help) the ALT LEVELING HAPPINESS INDEX (ALHI) based on basically a poll we're creating and working on today!

I figured each class should have the following questions answered (out of 10, with 1 being Feannag Shitty and 10 being The Ghost BJ Ray got in Ghostbusters):

Survivability Solo (SOLO) : 1-10

Aoe-capable (AOE): 1-10

Elite-Capable (ELT): 1-10

Leveling Speed(LEV): 1-10

Fun Leveling(FUN): 1-10

Tips: Just where you write things like "Feral to 80, just stack str/stam and insta-queue as a tank", "Disc to 20, Shadow to 80" etc

And lastly a non-score-related question:

What level does this class stop sucking and become decent (SUCK) : 1-80

Take your numbers and add them for a total / 50 (ignoring SUCK)

I'll update this post with the averages and helpful tips as we collect data. Take a few mins and contribute!

Druid:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Death Knight:

ELT: 8
LEV: 9
SUCK: 65ish
Overall: .78
Tips: Leveling this class is pretty self explanatory. Blood uses Death Strike to stay alive with less downtime. Frost is pretty much raw dps, howling blast and DnD make AoE pretty easy to manage, but as mentioned, can be very gear dependent. Unholy is all about diseases and your pet, and managing them. It did start to feel boring for me once I hit NR though.
--------

Mage:

LEV: 7
FUN: 10
SUCK: 65/70
Overall: .74
Tips: Level Frost, or maybe Fire if you like a challenge. Leveling arcane is an exercise in masochism. Frost has tons of survival and control. You can solo pretty much any elite, as long as you can slow/los. Water elemental is immensely helpful once you get it.
--------

Warlock:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Paladin:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Rogue:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Warrior:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Priest:

SOLO:
AOE:
ELT:
LEV:
FUN:
SUCK:
Tips:
--------

Shaman:

AOE: 4
LEV: 9
FUN: 9
SUCK: 40-45, if enhance, otherwise ele is gravy from the get go
Overall: .74
Tips: Enhance is really fun, a dynamic rotation thanks to the priority, it is really tight though, once you have all your main abilities, so missing one can be kind of suck. It also really sucks before you get DW, Stormstrike, Maelstrom, and Feral. Each one of those makes it much more fun, but they're spread out in the lower parts of the talent tree, so it takes a while. AoE is limited to really high relative mana cost abilities, magma totem, fire nova, chain lightning. Ele makes me feel like I'm playing my mage, really, so I just avoid it.
--------

Hunter:

LEV: 6
SUCK: Whenever you get enough abilities to not just be standing there for 3-4 seconds waiting on your CDs.
Overall: .64
Tips: Level BM, get a turtle or some such tenacity pet. Let it tank for you, mend when needed, and just blow shit up. Finding this toon to be a tad boring to finish leveling, though.

I've leveled everything else to about 40, save warrior and warlock. Found those to be just tediously boring. Paladins, obviously, are like walking, self healing, monster machines. Just pull shit and beat the hell out of it, heal yourself. Enhance is very similar, but is far squishier. Priest is fun, but is on back burner until I finish getting my hunter through the 70s. Druid I've only made it to 20 or so, and then made my current main on a dif server. Rogue is really fun... feels like enhance, without being fucked by running OOM. And you get stealth. No heals though :\

Every Class/Every Spec
SOLO:10
AOE:10
ELT:10
LEV:10
FUN:10
SUCK:10
Tips: Blizz made leveling an alt a moot point. You don't have to do anything anymore. The exp gains for quests have gone through the roof, while exp needed to gain the next level has been lowered. Not to mention the dungeon queue system, BG exp, 5g mounts at level 20, heirloom items, and talents/skills that are now available to lowbies. The process of leveling any alt requires no thought and no effort as the mobs no longer scale to a character of equal level.

Back