Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page Going to start going to the gym
Page 1 of 2
AeiOwnYou
VeteranX
Old
1 - 01-18-2010, 21:59
Somewhat similar to the gaining weight thread

I'm 6'1 and weigh about 140 pounds. I have spaghetti arms, well spaghetti everything really (except for meat balls and sausage dick)

I'm going to start going to the gym in the next few weeks (by myself, bleh) and I want to get some arm/chest muscle. Any beginners advice? right now I don't really eat anything in particular, don't take any supplements, and don't do any working out.

Where do I start? what kind of exercises should I be doing?

Sponsored Links
SSJBejiita
VeteranX
Old
2 - 01-18-2010, 22:14
lift as much as you possibly can the first time, and that is what should should begin with

Phantred
VeteranXV
Old
3 - 01-18-2010, 22:16
do the 5x5 starting strength linked at the top

eat a lot

sarbuze
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
4 - 01-18-2010, 22:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantred View Post

eat a lot

JohnMcClane
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 01-18-2010, 22:57
Quote:

eat a lot
this

I have started doing my own version of Starting Strength

I don't necessarily do the lifts in the order that he says but I do all of the exercises mentioned (I don't squat every other day like he says to)

While I do not look a whole ton different in terms of size so far, my strength has definitely increased quite a bit

AeiOwnYou
VeteranX
Old
6 - 01-18-2010, 23:37
So i don't really know what I'm looking at here in the starting strength thread

So say I go to the gym tomorrow, I should just go start some squats?
How do I know how much weight I should be using? I'm going to guess that these examples are far too much for me.

Quote:
Squat
------
45 x 5 x 2
95 x 5 x 1
135 x 3 x 1
185 x 2 x 1
225 x 5 x 3 (work sets)
Say this is what I can do, would I just do 45lbs 5 times, take a break, do it again, then do 95lbs 5 times, take a break, move to 135 3 times?

Bojangles
Veteran++
Old
7 - 01-19-2010, 00:40
That is how you read it, but I would not do that your first time. Doing compound movements and big lifts are going to be your friend, but your form needs to come before you start putting any weight on the bar at all. IMO your first time (or even first several times) dealing with the big 3 (squats, deadlifts, bench) should be focused on form.

If you don't have access to someone that knows the proper form, start doing research now. I know you're going to want to bulk quick, but you need to get started properly and that takes a little bit of time. It pays off in the long run in a big way.

Don't worry about supplements yet, just make sure you're eating food with tons of protein, and BUST YOUR ASS when you start putting weight on the bar. The harder you push yourself, the better results you're going to see (provided you do so in a safe and educated manner).

AeiOwnYou
VeteranX
Old
8 - 01-19-2010, 00:50
My only friend whos really interested in this **** joined the army a few months back so unfortunately im going to have to try to wing it based on the info i'm getting here

Phantred
VeteranXV
Old
9 - 01-19-2010, 00:52
you're better off with the internet than a friend as far as info goes

CERVICAL-KREMS
VeteranX
Old
10 - 01-19-2010, 00:52
don't underestimate the importance of eating the right foods/drinking enough water and getting enough sleep

garbage in, garbage out

Bojangles
Veteran++
Old
11 - 01-19-2010, 01:04
Quote:
you're better off with the internet than a friend as far as info goes
Very true in a lot of cases. I took my first workouts partner's word as good information for the first 6 months I worked out, it was a complete waste of my first 6 months and 6 months of noob gains. I can only wonder how much bigger my lifts would be now if I started doing a modified 5x5 11 months ago when I started instead of 5 ago.

Just follow the starting strength guide, it's tried and true.

Velocity
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 01-19-2010, 05:54
Here is the 1st edition of Starting Strength (from the SS thread): Starting Strength

Read it before you do anything. I said it in another thread but you're better off spending a few weeks getting your form down and reading everything you can than just rushing into the gym and injuring yourself. But don't be too worried, as long as you focus on form you won't get hurt.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy lifting as much as I do!

Defaced
VeteranX
Old
13 - 01-19-2010, 08:48
You'd really do yourself well to find someone who knows squats to help you with the form on those. So many people do them wrong that just watching other guys won't help a whole lot.

Keep the back straight. Attempt to keep knees over toes, move your ass back rather than your knees forward. Weight on the heels. Elbows pointed forward, bar resting back a bit further than will immediately strike you as comfortable. If you feel like you might fall over backwards you're probably close to correct.

Go down to even at least. Come up until your hips are slightly hyper-extended. Keep your back straight.

Keep your back straight.

Denver
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 01-19-2010, 09:09
Keep your back straight!

TechnoDonut
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
15 - 01-19-2010, 09:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaced View Post
You'd really do yourself well to find someone who knows squats to help you with the form on those. So many people do them wrong that just watching other guys won't help a whole lot.

Keep the back straight. Attempt to keep knees over toes, move your ass back rather than your knees forward. Weight on the heels. Elbows pointed forward, bar resting back a bit further than will immediately strike you as comfortable. If you feel like you might fall over backwards you're probably close to correct.

Go down to even at least. Come up until your hips are slightly hyper-extended. Keep your back straight.

Keep your back straight.
All good technique. In order to help keep my back straight, I find a spot on the wall (or window in the case of my gym) that's a foot or two above my head and focus on that during the lift. Keeps you from looking down.

OP: while I prefer to work out with a buddy, I mostly lift by myself. However, squats are the one exercise where I really, REALLY wish I had a partner to spot me. They can tell you when you're going down far enough and when you're shallow squatting, they can help you load and unload weight, they can spot you correctly (something the gym staff at my gym does not know how to do), and they can tell you when you're ****ing up your form. Try to find someone to work out with. I realize you're skinny as hell (I used to be about your build when I was in high school) and may be reluctant to work out with someone, but it definitely helps.

But there's lots of good advice here and a lot of dedicated strength training forums as well. I only post here, so I can't speak to the environment at other forums, but I'm sure there's some where people are open and willing to help.

Glare
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
16 - 01-19-2010, 09:36
remember the three P's

proper form
proper nutrition
proper rest

with those three things you will see healthy gains in strength and hopefully size

everyone bends the rules some but never bend on proper form. cheating to finish a rep is cheating yourself and a great way to get hurt.

the most important thing you can have going into a workout program is a set of clear goals. goals will help motivate you on days you dont particularly feel like going to the gym or pushing yourself.

good luck

Defaced
VeteranX
Old
17 - 01-19-2010, 10:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoDonut View Post
they can spot you correctly (something the gym staff at my gym does not know how to do)
Haha, spotting a squat is pretty intimate.

JohnMcClane
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 01-19-2010, 11:14
If you have never done squats before and you're doing them for the first time, prepare to be extremely sore for many days afterwards.

This is from my experience from when I first did them 3-4 months ago.

TechnoDonut
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
19 - 01-19-2010, 16:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaced View Post
Haha, spotting a squat is pretty intimate.
Yeah but it's necessary, if you're doing heavy weight stuff. Like I said, I'm normally by myself so I usually don't do more than 225lb, girl stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcClane View Post
If you have never done squats before and you're doing them for the first time, prepare to be extremely sore for many days afterwards.

This is from my experience from when I first did them 3-4 months ago.
Truth

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
20 - 01-19-2010, 16:44
yeah have fun trying to sit on the toilet

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page Going to start going to the gym

Social Website Bullshit