Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page Running
-Jekyll
VeteranX
Old
1 - 05-09-2009, 13:07
Sup dudes...

I'm wanting to get back in to running after being out of it for a few years. My main goal is to get back in shape and shed the weight that I have gained since I stopped running.

I'm 34, almost 35 so my joints arent quite what they used to be. Plus, at 6'6", 255lbs, I'm obviously putting a decent amount of stress on my joints.

That being said, I need a quality pair of running shoes. Since there are so many to choose from, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with my decision.

Does anyone have any advice on what kind of shoes I should be looking for?

Thx!!

Sponsored Links
ZodiaK
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 05-09-2009, 13:20
obligatory: barefoot, vibram 5 fingers, backpack with 100lbs of weight.

Jislan
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
3 - 05-09-2009, 13:56
You don't need super padded $150 gel cushioned running shoes. Get something light that fits you, like a bare bones asics shoe - just go to a shoe store and try on the basic ones until you find a shoe that fits well and doesn't seem unnatural when you walk. I've been running with the same ****ty pair of asics for 5 years and have never had any foot problems.

If you think your joints are a problem, run until you feel pain and then stop and walk it off and call it a day. After a few days of this you'll probably find that it's just your body responding to the unnatural stress of jogging and it'll pass and you'll be fine.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
4 - 05-09-2009, 16:09
You must have missed this: [official] Running, 2009 Season by Reno - TribalWar Forums

There may be no other running threads during the 2009 running season, which runs until Dec. 31, 2009.

Redz15
VeteranXV
Old
5 - 05-20-2009, 01:47
there are shoes designed for bigger people.

also old thread whatever

-=TTC=-Serpreme
VeteranX
Old
6 - 05-20-2009, 19:32
vibram or go home. limping.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
7 - 05-20-2009, 20:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=TTC=-Serpreme View Post
vibram or go home. limping.
this

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
8 - 05-20-2009, 21:04
my half marathon I ran in vibrams and it was great

I'm thinking about a full-barefoot marathon in the fall (If I do the Denver one, the Boulder one would likely destroy my feet even with a good amount of barefoot training)

Zwitterion
VeteranX
Old
9 - 05-21-2009, 10:13
I bought my shoes from Newton Running - The Science of Motion and they are fantastic so far. A bit pricey but they really help you learn to run forefoot and I have not had any problems with shin splints in some time now. It is hard to say whether or not that is from the shoes, because I have done a lot of things to try and keep the shin splints away, but I am sure they certainly help.

Glare
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
10 - 05-21-2009, 10:36
holy **** those are pricey shoes

i thought $100 was bad

TooSmoothe
VeteranX
Old
11 - 05-21-2009, 18:49
Step 1) Read. Learn about your body type, what your arches are like, what your stride is like
Step 2) Research. Use Summer 2009 Running Shoe Guide From Runner's World as a reference to shoe buying and learning what kinds of shoes would fit you.
Step 3) Go to a Running store. Don't go to a large sports chain store, find a local small store that has people willing to watch your stride/bio-mechanics.
Step 4) Try on shoes. The person helping you isn't going to mind grabbing 5 pairs of shoes. The fit and feel is what makes your feet comfortable and comfortable feet = amazing runs.

At your size you would be considered a Clydesdale. Don't know if that stuff helps you at all, I'm probably just recycling all the info that's been confusing you in the first place.

Jislan
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
12 - 05-23-2009, 14:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwitterion View Post
I bought my shoes from Newton Running - The Science of Motion and they are fantastic so far. A bit pricey but they really help you learn to run forefoot and I have not had any problems with shin splints in some time now. It is hard to say whether or not that is from the shoes, because I have done a lot of things to try and keep the shin splints away, but I am sure they certainly help.
$155-175 for running shoes is a bit extreme

Zwitterion
VeteranX
Old
13 - 05-23-2009, 21:35
I agree but I put a ton of mileage on them every week so I feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Or at least that is how I rationalize it to myself as a man. You can rationalize anything really.

Reno
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
14 - 05-23-2009, 22:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSmoothe View Post
Step 1) Read. Learn about your body type, what your arches are like, what your stride is like
Step 2) Research. Use Summer 2009 Running Shoe Guide From Runner's World as a reference to shoe buying and learning what kinds of shoes would fit you.
Step 3) Go to a Running store. Don't go to a large sports chain store, find a local small store that has people willing to watch your stride/bio-mechanics.
Step 4) Try on shoes. The person helping you isn't going to mind grabbing 5 pairs of shoes. The fit and feel is what makes your feet comfortable and comfortable feet = amazing runs.

At your size you would be considered a Clydesdale. Don't know if that stuff helps you at all, I'm probably just recycling all the info that's been confusing you in the first place.

Get some VFFs and go run in them.
Fixed.

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > TW Fitness
Reload this Page Running

Social Website Bullshit