Value inqury

I'm pretty sure my account could pay off most of my remaining college loans, so I am also seeking more information.

paying off college loans by playing wow

irony++ lol

1312459379_parot_poops_on_cat.gif

Last edited:
lol at that gif.

Unless you have a truly remarkable account I'd be surprised if you'd get much for it. With SWTOR and GW2 on the horizon I think most people are just playing WoW to kill time. I could be wrong though, I was surprised to see what someone got recently for their SWTOR beta account.

Regarding your original inquiry you would sell the whole account. I don't think selling characters would work anymore with the battle.net merger.

If you want an appraisal post links to your armory as well as what BoA gear and how much gold you have. I'm sure there are some nerds around here who can give you a rough estimate.

Not gonna post armories, but my most valuable character is a level 60 warrior with 450 engineering/blacksmithing (grandfathered in) several pieces of tier 3 and Naxx40 gear, including Might of Menethil (two of them for weapon swap, but no more TG for 60's) and disarm reduction gloves.

Pretty hard to place a value on that. Depends how badly the buyer wants a 60 twink. Mostly I want to know how a transaction can be made safe, and where I should be looking for buyers.

Not gonna post armories, but my most valuable character is a level 60 warrior with 450 engineering/blacksmithing (grandfathered in) several pieces of tier 3 and Naxx40 gear, including Might of Menethil (two of them for weapon swap, but no more TG for 60's) and disarm reduction gloves.

Pretty hard to place a value on that. Depends how badly the buyer wants a 60 twink. Mostly I want to know how a transaction can be made safe, and where I should be looking for buyers.

Sorry to say but the only value here is for the cost of the game and whatever expansion(s) you have enabled.

You can list it on eBay and see how long it lasts...sometimes you get away with it but I think they're pretty quick on shutting those sales down these days. You could also look at a site like Buy WoW Account - Sell WoW Accounts - World of Warcraft Account. I haven't sold an account for a long time so I'm kinda out of the loop.

Most transactions are going to be done via PayPal. Unfortunately, PayPal sucks as a seller. You assume a lot of risk, mostly in the form of credit card chargebacks. Google it if you'd like to learn more. I will summarize what you need to do to protect yourself. You can review this information on PayPal's site under their Seller Protection Policy:

• You need to have some kind of auction to be able to reference the sale. I recommend selling a piece of paper with the account info written on it. This way you are selling a tangible item.
  • You must ship the item a confirmed address with a tracking number and signature required. No exceptions.
  • Do not provide them with the account info early. Make them wait for the piece of paper with the info written on it. Explaining this and why you have to do it this way is confusing for most buyers. However, it's the only way I know of to protect yourself.
  • I believe PayPal will only cover up to $500. It's been a while since I researched this stuff and I highly recommend you do your own research before selling anything.

You can also try craigslist. Face-to-face and cash would be the way to go.

Honestly if you make a decent wage it's not even worth your time really unless you have a truly valuable account. When I was a college student I made a decent income buying and selling accounts (DAoC). Now that I have a good job it just wouldn't be worth the hassle for such a small reward. More power to you if you can make it work though.

Good luck.

recognize your success and build upon it in order to establish long term growth thus paving a path toward a better tomorrow

Will for example old vanilla items like Drakefire Amuelt or BC stuff like Eye of Haramad add any value? :p Or is it just like gold and titles?

Gold, heirloom gear, number of level 85 characters, rare mounts, and gear if it's good enough to place you in the top 0.5%.

EDIT: I'll add that it sounds like you guys haven't played in a long time so it's probably difficult for you to appreciate it just how easy it is to level and gear up these days. They have continued to lower the difficulty level and make high-end gear more accessible.

I know a guy that got like $1200 for a character back in the day but I just don't see that happening anymore. You don't need to be part of an elite 40-man raid team to get good gear anymore and that gear doesn't give you a huge advantage in world PvP, which I believe is what drove some of these high dollar sales back in Vanilla and maybe into BC. These days people just idle in Org/SW while waiting for BG/Arena/Dungeon queues to pop. I hear with the latest patch you can get very nice gear just by doing Firelands dailies. I haven't played for a couple months and can't confirm this.

I stand by my previous recommendation that your time is probably better spent working/looking for work than dealing with selling an account unless you have a truly remarkable account.

Last edited:
Ait, well my main is not that old middle of 4.1 I reckon. Some raiding gear from then.

Edit: How about mats for leveling professions? I have tons of cloth and leather and enchanting mats in my bank.

Last edited:
I was in a BC guild where our rogue got the server first warglaive set. He never logged back on after that night and we found his account for sale on that dragon site. I know he was asking $4k, not sure how much he actually ended up getting for it.

Okay I compiled most of the info, if anyone might have a slight clue what this might be worth I welcome you to tell me :shock:

Spoiler

I guess in essence you could say:

2 level 85
1 level 80
Shadowmourne
60k gold
~10-20k gold in mats
A few rare titles/mounts/pets

Last edited:
Again, I'm out of the loop and haven't played for a while, I'm sure there are others around here who can give you a better estimate. I'm guessing you could get $250 - 400 for that.

EDIT: I'll add that it sounds like you guys haven't played in a long time so it's probably difficult for you to appreciate it just how easy it is to level and gear up these days. They have continued to lower the difficulty level and make high-end gear more accessible.

Nah, I still play and have three 85's I didn't mention. This twink has a lot of BiS gear and professions which are no longer obtainable and I expect this adds a lot of value if I'm selling to the right person. Back when I still played the toon I was approached by buyers and traders a couple times. Never talked numbers, wasn't interested in selling. :shrug:

Back