Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Stop cheating in t3
Page 1 of 3
Imposter
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
1 - 03-14-2003, 14:23
It'd be nice if t3 came with some sort of feature to help defeat cheating. Like have an option where when you connect to the master server it scans your tribes folder for files and makes sure only the valid ones are there. Also a crc check. Hell whatever it takes. But make it an option. Then when a player joins a server a little check mark appears next to their name if they used the option. All ladders could require you to have been checked kinda thing.

Anyway I just want to kill it as much as possible. Perhaps dynamix could just send a mercenary after happy and save money.

Sponsored Links
Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 03-14-2003, 14:26
Hmm...

You can never really stop cheating in a multiplayer game. You can only slow it down.

Remember, there is no spoon.

Its a nice concept though Imp, if a bit "utopian".

BigPappa
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
3 - 03-14-2003, 14:47
Who is this Dynamix you speak of?

Limbo
Unregistered
Old
4 - 03-14-2003, 14:52
didn't t2 have a crc check?

BigPappa
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
5 - 03-14-2003, 15:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbo
Yes and it sucked for using personal skins.

Imposter
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
6 - 03-14-2003, 15:12
To bad no one uses personal skins you ****ing skin head.

BigPappa
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
7 - 03-14-2003, 15:16
Skinners Guild.com Total Members: 4256

:invert:

Limbo
Unregistered
Old
8 - 03-14-2003, 15:21
owned.

BigPappa
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
9 - 03-14-2003, 15:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbo
Yes and it sucked for using personal skins.

-ReP-
VeteranX
Old
10 - 03-14-2003, 15:43
I think CRC was on the right path it was just too much... if it applied to deployables only it would do what it was intended. If they want to stop autopoints or spam scripts they will have to come up with something new... not that I think they should stop those things.

Rabid Poop
Veteran++
Old
11 - 03-14-2003, 16:13
There was a mod called the half life for The Opera.

It scanned your folders and **** like that, even though it was a mod it had some of the best cheat protection I've ever seen.

Anyways, if it found cheats, the cheater would have a glowing yellow thing next to their name that said *Suspect*, but they wouldn't be able to see it (only everyone else).

People labeled *Suspect* had to do 10 times the amount of damage to people to kill them, and it is much easier to kill the cheater. It was funny standing still as they unloading clip after clip into me, then finishing them with a few shots in the chest.

RenGen
VeteranX
Old
12 - 03-14-2003, 17:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imposter
To bad no one uses personal skins you ****ing skin head.
Hello, Mr. Incorrect. ;]

xpdnc
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
13 - 03-14-2003, 18:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by -ReP-
I think CRC was on the right path it was just too much... if it applied to deployables only it would do what it was intended. If they want to stop autopoints or spam scripts they will have to come up with something new... not that I think they should stop those things.
autopoints and spam scripts?

you mean Shiva and qfiremissions?

they aren't even on the same level

Beren
Tribalwar Aussie
Contributor
Old
14 - 03-15-2003, 07:58
I think this is an issue that certainly needs to get nailed early, but its not an easy problem to solve, and will probably take some creative thinking to find a way to effectivily get on top of it - to tackle more then just skins on turrets etc.

ICMeltdown
VeteranX
Old
15 - 03-15-2003, 08:37
Well they should have a "personalskins.vl2" that included all "legally" modable (is this even a word?) skins and isn't subject to a crc check but all other skins, turret, inventories, landscapes, etc...are. This would be a start anyway...

R@ND0M
VeteranX
Old
16 - 03-15-2003, 13:14
Personally I think CRC checks are overrated.
Where would Tribes be now if not for the ability to modify its visuals?

The best anti-cheat method would be WON authentification with some form of auto-update Punkbuster type hook, which comes seperately to the executable.

The key to catching cheaters seems to be through observer demos though. Thrax will have to make sure the auto rec-to-avi is impossible to reverse engineer, or it'll open the ability to forge demos.
Also, the smaller the compression of demos, the better. The most important thing of demos will be never changing the recording protocol after the next Tribes sequel is released.

It's really frustrating not being able to watch old demos because a lazy developer decided the current format wasn't worth the time to ensure it works.
I'd get some top teams to scrim during Open Beta, and release demos of those matches with the game.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
17 - 03-18-2003, 14:12
To me, people who use scripts are the cheaters. The problem is it's such a big part of the game for many, that there's no way to stop it. Those who use the auto fire on missle lock and auto hover for the shrike are cheating. Some of the hud mods are boarderline. I don't use any, I'm proud to say I'm 100% base.
The vote kick is the best way to keep people honest. If someone is cheating, they are usually voted off the server. I know many think PJs scripts rule, but some of his scripts should be left off for T3, like missile lock and auto hover.
I'm happy when patches are released and scripts no longer work.

There's an idea. Patch the game every few months with a new exe that renders scripts useless. Just make the exe different so scripts no longer work. Sure, script writers will counter, but many will get sick of downloading a new script everytime a patch comes out.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 03-18-2003 at 14:54..
Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 03-18-2003, 14:20
NoGod, it took me almost 4 years of playing T1 just to switch to a different crosshair. I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, and really dislike scripts. It's a game, why have the game automate something you can do for yourself? To quote from another thread of someone looking for a jumpjet script, "dar dar You can reach 34.37462326346263562 meters with a jump-jet script, the maximum fantastically possible!!!@#!@#!@#" Or you could use the spacebar, and maybe not get as high everytime, and sometimes even miss the beat and fly only a dinky amount off the ground. That's being human.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
19 - 03-18-2003, 15:09
I can't imagine playing T1 without a ski script.

Here's me:
*mash* *mash* *mash* *mash* *mash* *mash* *mash*
"Dammit I broke another spacebar!!! ARRRGH!!! Its all your fault Ixiterra!!!"

ParoxysM
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
20 - 03-19-2003, 05:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodForMe
To me, people who use scripts are the cheaters...
Meber

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page Stop cheating in t3

Social Website Bullshit