daily complaint thread n5

fov problems? u thot it was over? u gotta be kidding me:

spinfusor: model gets slightly distorted & shooting animation stops @ fov 110 and higher
grenade launcher: model gets distorted & shooting animation stops @ fov 119 and higher
plasma: model gets distorted & shooting animation stops @ fov 120 and higher
elf gun: model gets distorted & energy glow texture gest distorted @ fov 112 and higher
mortar: model gets distorted & shooting animation stops @ fov 119 and higher
blaster: model gets distorted & shooting animation stops @ fov 110 and higher
sniper: model gets distorted @ fov 113 and higher
targeting laser: model gets slightly gets distorted @ fov 116 and higher

stay tuned 4 more daily complaint thread on ur favorite subforum ~ tribe talk ~

Yep. LOD is wacky on most of the weapon models and many others. Blaster changes depending on aim angle up and down... LOD for the "liqcyl" used in the Annihilation flame turret drops at 5.5m, 12.7 and at 25.5m turns into a dumb grey box. Blastwalls completely vanish around 137m... All of this is defined in the DTS and can't be modified..

MJ or NoFix should write a patch to force varying LOD based on server settings.

i enjoyed v1 - w/e this one isn't now it's just getting sad. Can tomorrows topic be b/c banana hammocks are neither bananas nor hammocks?

Yep. LOD is wacky on most of the weapon models and many others. Blaster changes depending on aim angle up and down... LOD for the "liqcyl" used in the Annihilation flame turret drops at 5.5m, 12.7 and at 25.5m turns into a dumb grey box. Blastwalls completely vanish around 137m... All of this is defined in the DTS and can't be modified..

MJ or NoFix should write a patch to force varying LOD based on server settings.

very interesting! i never thought LOD is the reason for this.

couldnt u make a DTS that's the same for all 3 detail levels that would fix this stuff (but would break .dts hash checks i guess)

couldnt u make a DTS that's the same for all 3 detail levels that would fix this stuff (but would break .dts hash checks i guess)
Yes, but you would have to do them all. It would be easier to force Tribes to render the first shape and texture all the time, and there should be no performance hit at all.

Here's a video I made showing LOD of a few weapons at various FOVs when 1.40 was under development.

It's something that was never addressed before the project folded.

You can set $pref::staticShapeDetail, $pref::playerShapeDetail to force a shittier LOD, but not better. 1 is default.

Last edited:
Back