what if tribe terrain was just colorful aluminum foil?

News flash homie.. your wife might be on to something. There are less than 100 people that still play tribes today. There are less than 30 people who play tribes actively. I cannot believe that people still spend chunks of their free time to modify tribes configs, etc.

so, im gonna ramble a bit here but

personally (and i think for most ppl) we do/did it for the learning experience and just a pure love of the game and the engine and everything about it

no one is making tribes stuff for the fame. clearly.

i made configs and plugins for myself. if other people want them too, that's cool with me. if not, who cares. i have a ton of stuff i never released or even showed off because im not doing it for anyones approval

its also much easier to start to understand an older game and how that works rather than start to try to reverse engineer a CS:GO or something like that (and get vac banned). ive heard plenty of stories about how Tribes 1 scripting is what got people into code and led to successful career that they enjoy.

i couldn't write a line of code in any language in 2007 and never thought i'd make a plugin - or even really understood what a plugin was. and even though my plugins are really stupid and basic and i needed and got a lot of help, im still pretty proud of them. not because im e-famous or because people still speak of the legendary Bluelines.dll (lol) but because i learned a lot and i accomplished something i never thought i could or was even possible.

and i'll be really honest, sometimes i just did it as a hobby to keep my mind off of other shit in my life. i think pretty much everyone has some hobby or wasteful use of time, something you do to relax...

some people do really weird shit like whittle their own forks and spoons, some people play an instrument, some people drink or do drugs or cheat on their wife or fuck idk but at least with this hobby you learn a pretty diverse set of computer and programming skills - and if some fellow tribes nerd on the interweb gets some enjoyment out of it too, thats a bonus!

i learned a shit ton and i never even touched any of the opengl stuff broast is doing, i kinda wish i'd kept learning and gotten into that stuff more so i could help because i think his project is awesome

also

8. i have put a version of my source on github looking for programmers to contribute their time but nobody has displayed any intention or confidence that they want to help soo i'm doing the 1 man army thing and so this will continue to take forever. sorry

link me this in pm i want to take a look

i would love to help more just out of :heart: for tribe but i'm not sure if i have the brains or the time or the patience or the THC budget necessary for me to focus long enough

BUT

i might at least be able to help on little things like the configuring via tribes variables and loading automatically, i gave u some stuff but i still have .txt files full of stuff i reversed from the .exe or were given by other people and structures and memory locs for various functions in 1.40

and maybe if i look at your code enough i'll be able to help a bit with the other stuff, to be honest i have no idea - as i said i never really got into the actual drawing parts very much at all. i kinda feel like it might be out of my league, then again i thought all this stuff was out of my league so maybe i can learn idk anymore im old now and stupid and i was never as smart as emjay or nofix or hunden etc

News flash homie.. your wife might be on to something. There are less than 100 people that still play tribes today. There are less than 30 people who play tribes actively. I cannot believe that people still spend chunks of their free time to modify tribes configs, etc.

this is just my most enjoyed hobby. there just happen to be ppl that also play the game but everything i have learned about gfx programming is from tribes and im just a guy that enjoys the process

also sorry for lumping whomever etc into this about t1 src. I know 1.4 is much different from 1.11 src. I do think i can use 1.11 source to pinpoint subroutines in 1.4 to reverse too. i rly dont care and have a path and have clearly made some progress. i was just ranting in response to some previous posts here. i appreciate your advice

Last edited:

This is like stating that I can't believe people still try to do PU's on a weekly basis. To each their own, the fact that people like broast and groove are still around is awesome. I'll continue to harass them for DL's and new updates :clap:

This is like stating that I can't believe people still try to do PU's on a weekly basis. To each their own, the fact that people like broast and groove are still around is awesome. I'll continue to harass them for DL's and new updates :clap:

Poor analogy, lol. But I get that you're just digging at me with that, so I forgive you.

Difference is, trying to get PU's literally takes 1-2 minutes worth of posting on here, and then waiting for enough to play.

If Groove/Broast enjoy what they are doing enough to keep doing it, I respect that. I totally understand learning from it, and applying the knowledge to other things related. Just wouldn't let it consume me, I guess - T1 has reached its end-game, don't lose sleep over improving an already dead game.

LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE LIE

Back