You raff yuo roose v.3871

g4yn8YH.jpg

With a $300 car, there may have been something with the engine that would have cost $$$ given that it is a rotary.

I didn't watch the whole video, but if he spent that over a couple years that doesn't seem like a big expense for someone that doesn't have to worry about food/rent/etc. In theory it seems easy to replace a rotary engine with an assumedly simpler running V8, although I have no idea how difficult it would be to mount up or if a new transmission had to be sourced as well.

edit: I wonder if he is including his time in the $13k

I didn't watch the whole video, but if he spent that over a couple years that doesn't seem like a big expense for someone that doesn't have to worry about food/rent/etc. In theory it seems easy to replace a rotary engine with an assumedly simpler running V8, although I have no idea how difficult it would be to mount up or if a new transmission had to be sourced as well.

edit: I wonder if he is including his time in the $13k
He mentioned briefly that it was originally an automatic, which means that it is most certainly a new transmission, custom engine mounts, and maybe a new diff. Pretty impressive stuff from a 19 y/o.

First gen RX7's had a pretty stout live rear axle, I had 5 of them. A red 79 with an automatic, forest green 82 with 5 speed, black 4 speed 83, a charcoal 84, and another black 83. The engines are also very temperamental and costly to repair. They are a blast when they run right, but when they wear out there isn't much you can do with them. He probably dropped a mustang 5.0 and 5 speed in with aftermarket motor mounts. Pretty simple swap, and there is a ton of speed shit for mustangs. The engines are also pretty simple to fix.

Last edited:
LOL, I had more than a few of these cars years ago.

I've been considering a FC RX-7, if I manage to sell my car before the summer. I wonder how reliable they are by now, or how easy parts are to obtain in Europe. I'd most likely make do with a non-turbo one, just to improve my chances of the engine holding together.

Back