This is the most important thing facing NY

samUwell

Contributor
Veteran XX
What's in a hairstyle? A lot. New York City bans bias against black hair
In what may be a first in the country, New York City is banning policies and practices that penalize black people based on the texture and style of their hair, saying such actions violate their human rights and are against the law.

The New York City Commission on Human Rights announced this week that it is issuing guidance stating that the same law that prohibits discrimination based on race, gender or religion also applies to hair--an extension, and intrinsic part, of black identity.
[.....]

The law bans such bias in the workplace, in schools, and in public spaces ranging from restaurants to nightclubs to museums.

While the legal protections apply to any group whose hair styles are associated with their ethnic identity, for those of African descent, hair texture and styles have often been singled out and are a particular target for abuse.
[.....]

n December, there was outrage after a 16-year-old athlete named Andrew Johnson was forced by a referee to cut his locks before he could proceed with his wrestling match. And just five years ago, the U.S. Department of Defense implemented a ban on afros, braids and twists. It later reversed the policy amid the backlash.

Brittany Noble-Jones said she faced hair discrimination when she was fired from her job as an anchor with WJTV in Jackson, Mississippi, last year. She alleged that wearing braids on air triggered internal performance reviews and ultimately her termination.

Noble-Jones, who’s now based in New York , called the city commission's announcement “huge.”

“The fact we have been worried about this all these years is one thing, but I’m very excited we can move forward and rock our hair and wear it the way God intended us to wear it,” she said.
[.....]

Noliwe Rooks, professor of Africana studies at Cornell University, said that the local commission's move is significant.

“This is big,” she said of the commission’s new guidelines. “Hair is connected to civil rights… and needs to be protected.”

Black hair has had a symbolic potency in the U.S. since the 1800's, and has been a stand in for a particular kind of black identity that doesn't want to assimilate.

“It’s at the moment of when you had large numbers of African-Americans leaving enslavement and the Great Migration, so there was more contact between communities on more equal footing,” she said. The narrative is ‘You just don’t look civilized. You just don’t look professional.’”

Later, natural hair became a powerful symbol of pride and militancy during the Black Power movement that emerged in the 1960's.

So glad NY got this taken care of right away. From this one bill alone, NY has finally gotten control over their out of control pension tsunami that threatens the entire state and the wealthy people are returning to pay the outrageous tax rates imposed on them by the free-shit army.

:lies:

And just five years ago, the U.S. Department of Defense implemented a ban on afros, braids and twists. It later reversed the policy amid the backlash.

Yeah this bullshit has been back and forth for decades. One of the clues you got as to whether a new troop (male or female, black or white) was serious about soldiering was their haircut. All the hard chargers I knew had buzz cuts (or pixie cuts for the white women).

thanks samUwell u r a tru

content.PNG

Next up: lip rings, clothing, facial tats, and facial studs. Dress for success is a white privilege thang.

tbh i always envied blax and jooz ability 2 shape their head pubes in2 cool haircuts like the flattop

i'd have a 3 foot kid n play hightop/flattop if i could :cool:

jooz rarely do it tho b/c they just don't have style, instead they wear their ben shapiro holocaust memorial CAPS OF SHAME

Back