Tribes : Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
revisionist history.
you hit that shit now at your age, you'd think nothing of it.
its not that tribes was awesome, its just that your life back then was a lot more fun
just saying.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Unreal Engine. The misconception that people get is that the engine that a game uses dictates the outcome of the product. It's nothing like that at all, it's merely a starting point that developers customize according to their needs.

If there's a shitty buggy product at the end, the accountability ultimately lands on the developers. Irrational games flaked out with T:V because they made terrible design choices, and didn't focus on the MP aspects. It stood up well as a SP game and that's what they're good at. If you had a company like DICE doing Tribes as an MP focused game, I'm sure the outcome would have been much different.

Few things need to happen for this to be successful...

- Good game types, CTF being the primary, but also Team Rabbit and Duel would be nice to see.

- Original maps as well as the classics from T1. (Raindance, Stonehenge etc)

- Speed, game has to be fast-paced where suiciding isn't frowned upon, more of a tactic.

- Scoring, should focus more on team score rather than individual score. Everyone seems to be concerned with their own personal scores like you see in Black Ops / BC2. When I played Tribes, I could give a fuck about my score, all I cared about is if our team won at the end.

- When I type ~wdeath, I better hear a goddamn awful dying sound.

- Scoring, should focus more on team score rather than individual score. Everyone seems to be concerned with their own personal scores like you see in Black Ops / BC2. When I played Tribes, I could give a fuck about my score, all I cared about is if our team won at the end.

This a thousand times. Deemphasize personal scores as much as possible. You know what sucks about playing the objective modes in Halo/CoD? No one's actually playing for the objectives.

They are planning a 2011 release but don't even have ANY gameplay in their trailer? (or at least the new one I just saw)

As far as scoring, yeah you should definitely get points for helping the team rather than only for getting kills, but if i'm taking down their cappers and saving the day for our team, I'd better damn well have a higher personal score that reflects my higher skill at the end of the game than some no-skill repair jockey who lost every fight he was in, but repaired a bunch of stuff.

revisionist history.
you hit that shit now at your age, you'd think nothing of it.
its not that tribes was awesome, its just that your life back then was a lot more fun
just saying.

Sure, who didn't love high school or college or whatever, but to think that Tribes wasn't something special in terms of its actual content is just not correct.

Vehicles, player-produced animations and the voice chat menu, targeting laser + mortar. Once skiing became a part of the landscape the game became limitless.

This a thousand times. Deemphasize personal scores as much as possible. You know what sucks about playing the objective modes in Halo/CoD? No one's actually playing for the objectives.

Exactly. Headhunter should be the most fun gametype in Reach, yet people just sit in corners with shotties trying to up their k/d. Useless.

I hate the "don't ask TW for advice!" bullshit.

"What should we do TW?"
"T1 + new graphics"
"Ok sounds good. But, lets add new vehicles, change the physics, and tweak the weapons."
(Game/mod fails)
"FUCKING TRIBALWAR"

I hate the "don't ask TW for advice!" bullshit.

"What should we do TW?"
"T1 + new graphics"
"Ok sounds good. But, lets add new vehicles, change the physics, and tweak the weapons."
(Game/mod fails)
"FUCKING TRIBALWAR"

Someone quote corosuousss talking about how the grappler is great.

Holy crap, El Mar showed up? Wow.

On the OT, didn't we already go down this road, like 5 times before? This will not end well.

Exactly. Headhunter should be the most fun gametype in Reach, yet people just sit in corners with shotties trying to up their k/d. Useless.

I think the solution should be to not display how many deaths you have. I feel like TF2 handles teamplay pretty well. There are a few of the achievements that make people go solo and do dumb stuff, but for the most part nobody cares about deaths. They are focused on whatever the objective is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back